JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Received this email this morning

Screenshot_20220317-100211.png

I typically slug a barrel if I'm uncertain of the diameter and what size bullets are most appropriate. I have several 7.62x39 firearms. My Ruger slugs at .310", whereas my CZ slugs at .312". I've yet to hand load for either (factory FMJ and JSP only) to this point.

What type of bullets are you planning to load for your application? I just measured a projectile pulled from factory Winchester brass cased FMJ at .3095".

I'm planning to try and develop a powder coated lead load for plinking, and would size them different for each of my two rifles. For jacketed bullets, options can be more limited when you move larger than the common .30 cal bore of .308.

Last Edited:
I typically slug a barrel if I'm uncertain of the diameter and what size bullets are most appropriate. I have several 7.62x39 firearms. My Ruger slugs at .310", whereas my CZ slugs at .312". I've yet to hand load for either (factory FMJ and JSP only) to this point.

What type of bullets are you planning to load for your application? I just measured a projectile pulled from factory Winchester brass cased FMJ at .3095".

I'm planning to try and develop a powder coated lead load for plinking, and would size them different for each of my two rifles. For jacketed bullets, options can be more limited when you move larger than the common .30 cal bore of .308.
Just pulled the flash hider to mic the end of the barrel to get a rough idea. .302 on the grooves roughly. Looking to develop a hunting load.

For hunting load, are you thinking a JSP bullet? If so, I would try a box or two of factory ammo similar to what you plan to load and see how it groups. If you find one that you like the groups, I'd pull a bullet from a factory loaded round from the ammo it likes and measure the bullet to see if you can replicate it in your hand loads (style, size, weight). Or use a soft lead ball (muzzleloader) to slug your bore and measure the slug to more accurately determine what size jacketed bullet would probably work best in your barrel.

What I use for hunting ammo when needed.

Edit: I also use the SST's for other cal's as well as the eld's and monoflex's or if the A-max is available in the weight I want them as well. They are all pretty much built the same, they all work great for deer or coyotes.

First choice

second choice

Last Edited:
I once read an article......
It said that the .308" bullet works in the Communist 7.62 long guns mostly due to the better quality of construction of the bullet.

Note: my reloading die sets for my 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 both come with expander buttons for .311" bullets and the .308" bullets.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......NOTE : What is available in .308" bullets, .311" bullets and .323" bullets?
Hummmm.....So, maybe you're overthinking this?

YEAH, Yeah, yeah.....that is only one manufacturer and only the Matchking line. But IMHO.....IT says something about the hopeful accuracy potential for that range of bullets.

LOL. Rrrrright......where is the selection of 123 grn .311" bullets for the uber accuracy game? You know....for those 1" groups out of my AK.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads