JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I bought a rifle, first one, and I've been out to the range trying to apply the handgun basics to rifle. I've got about 200 rounds downrange over several sessions, and here's my question:

What constitutes "good" or "proper" cheek weld? Using iron sights at 100 yards, it occurs to me that how my cheek rests on the stock will affect my line of sight.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how to be sure I'm looking straight down the sights at the target, and that the barrel is indeed pointing where I'm looking.

Hope that makes sense to anyone who'd care to comment.

In my opinion, good and proper cheek weld is a repeatable position. A cheekweld that works for you may not work for me. God make our faces different, so my cheeks may be meatier and yours bonier, or vice versa.
Get a position for your face on the stock that is comfortable and allows you access to the sights you will be using to shoot your gun. Every time you shoot the gun, try to repeat the position...

I would be remiss if I failed to mention the Appleseed Project.

A project by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA) to teach the citizens of this great nation how to accurately shoot rifles..

Look up RWVA. org for more info..

Cheekweld is, as Armed Bear stated, the act of putting your face at the same place on the stock....Sight picture is VERY important.. you may have to adjust your stock to fit your body geometry to the rifle..(cheek pads, recoil pad/spacer, etc.) to achieve a good sight picture and a good cheek weld....

I helps sometimes to stretch your neck towards the sights (turkey neck)..Some of my rifles geometry doesn't allow me a full turkey neck.. but do try to get your eye as close to the rear sight as possible...

Good cheek weld will help the shooter to "ride" the recoil and not get hit in the face by the rifle or the scope....

Check out the Appleseed Project...The schedule for the Pac NW will be posted soon...

I hope to see ya on the line sometime Monkeyman..

W44

The Appleseed Project sounds like a great event. I have joined the RWVA, am anxiously awaiting the WA schedule and we're planning to make it a family event.

You can help generate the new schedule by visiting your local range and asking them to host an Appleseed..Or perhaps you know a rural landowner that's 2A friendly...

twoclones or anyone..feel free to ask me anything about Appleseed in the PNW...

Wheeler44
regional coordinator
The Appleseed Project

I have been watching and waiting for one to come within a couple hundred miles of me. Sounds silly, but I want to earn one of those rifleman patches awful bad.

Patch.jpg

Speelyai. We are working on a place in Seal Rock OR.
Is that closer? It is not silly to want to earn a patch..(by the way that image attached shows the RWVA oval not a rifleman's patch) The patch is a physical representation of a great personal achievement...I hope you earn yours soon

There are lots of ways to get an Appleseed near you...

My first Appleseed was a five hour drive one way... Now they're 40 miles from my house...

We cannot instruct on public land..

We do shoot on private property and have even held a shoot at a golf course ( not good for a shoot bosses nerves)..But local ranges are great because of infrastructure...berms, structures, sanitary facilities etc..

Camping at an Appleseed is a wonderful experience.

W44

You can help generate the new schedule by visiting your local range and asking them to host an Appleseed..Or perhaps you know a rural landowner that's 2A friendly...

Wheeler44
regional coordinator
The Appleseed Project

Wheeler44,

Since you're the coordinator, how about starting an Appleseed thread? I'll contribute a question or two right away.

Butch

Wheeler44
regional coordinator
The Appleseed Project
I would absolutely be interested in this for myself and my son. Anyone talked to Clark Rifles about hosting?

Anyone talked to Clark Rifles about hosting?
Yep, at the moment Clark Rifles (I'm a member) isn't set up to host an Appleseed...

We are talking to the good folks at Wolverton between Chelatchie Prairie and Yale...

Castle Rock (six 2010 dates announced soon) isn't too far from most of SW WA.

We have also talked to the folks At Cascade Sportsmans Club in Stevenson...

We have talked to other ranges in the area...If you are a member of one ask them to consider hosting an Appleseed.

W44

Wheeler, I've just recently found the Appleseed website (a pleasant coincidence to find you here!) and was this close to registering for Couer D'Alene on 4-17-10. Since you've indicated here and on other threads that Oregon events are in the works, I'll hold off.

Anyway to get notice as soon as they're scheduled?

I intend to join the Tri-Cities Shooting Association which runs the Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility near Benton City, WA. In the mean time, I have emailed their president asking if they ever host Appleseed events. May be a baby-step but it's a step...

http://www.tcsa.info/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads