JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i just bought a Ruger Security Six as my backpacking gun. It just hit me that im not sure how i should holster it. I was thinking drop leg/thigh? I couldn't really find one for a short revolver like that.

Anyone else use a short revolver for backpacking? where do you carry?

So i just bought a Ruger Security Six as my backpacking gun. It just hit me that im not sure how i should holster it. I was thinking drop leg/thigh? I couldn't really find one for a short revolver like that.

Anyone else use a short revolver for backpacking? where do you carry?

I use a small fanny pack that I securely strap between and around the straps and it sits right on my chest center. It's very easy to access and it looks very harmless. I can also store a couple other light items there. If I see someone or something coming my direction and it doesn't look right I just innocently start reaching in my fanny pack. Maybe I'll see you out on the trail.
Open carry maybe in the way, way out back when I'm looking for cougar who are looking for me.
Best luck.

I like either a bandoleer or low riding 3 0'clock. Depending on how I am dressed and if I care if others know I can carrying

I never liked the drop leg style, gets to sweaty and I need the fellas to be able to breath.

I use a small fanny pack that I securely strap between and around the straps and it sits right on my chest center. It's very easy to access and it looks very harmless. I can also store a couple other light items there. If I see someone or something coming my direction and it doesn't look right I just innocently start reaching in my fanny pack. Maybe I'll see you out on the trail.
Open carry maybe in the way, way out back when I'm looking for cougar who are looking for me.
Best luck.

I hate any extra weight on my chest, since a lot of my backpack's weight gets dispersed through that strap.

I like either a bandoleer or low riding 3 0'clock. Depending on how I am dressed and if I care if others know I can carrying

I never liked the drop leg style, gets to sweaty and I need the fellas to be able to breath.

I was thinking the same thing, but i feel like loose on the thigh and on the belt would be alright. 3 0'clock in a belt holster or just in your belt?

You could try a <broken link removed> or a <broken link removed> holster.

Chest holster would be nice, but i dont know if i could hike 13+ hours with those straps around me plus the chest/waist/shoulder straps of my 40+lbs pack.

You could try a <broken link removed> or a <broken link removed> holster.

I have used the Wilderness Safepacker for the last 3 years while backpacking and been very happy with it. Gun goes in the Safepacker, Safepacker goes on my pack waistbelt, pack goes on me. It carries well, works in many different configurations, and just looks like another piece of the pack. Highly recommended.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top