JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran across an NOS Dixie Gun Works barrel that was my dad's (.45 cal., 28-3/4" octagon, percussion, listed as "Made in Italy" and a P/N # 0330). I found nothing on the internet so far for this barrel and Dixie hasn't been too helpful telling me what rifle style this was intended for. I'm guessing Hawken at a minimum. The color seen on the barrel is not rust but is whatever protectant they used. It was then wrapped in some type of soft paper-like material that is stuck on the barrel in a few locations. I made no attempt to remove any of the grease or paper at this point. I also found a complete set of hardware and a separate (extra) hammer assembly listed as for a Hawken.

I'll be posting these soon along with (separately) bullet molds, lead melting pot, a few round balls in various diameters, shooting bag with Misc supplies. Just trying to put final details together now as to what style rifle the barrel is for. If you have any thoughts. please let me know.

20231023_073756.jpg 20231023_073816.jpg 20231023_081034.jpg 20231023_073731.jpg

Last Edited:
"Hawken" ...is a often over used term.

A Hawken rifle could be a Christian Hawken late period flintlock Longrifle...very ornate and carved with a highly figured maple full stock.
Or...
A light caliber ( around .36 - .45 ) half stocked hunting rifle made by the Hawken Shop in St. Louis....for the local trade....
Or...
A large caliber ( .50 - .58 ) full or half stocked rifle for plains and mountain hunting....
Made by the Hawken shop in St. Louis....or by the owners after Sam and Jake...like William Watt , Tristan Campbell, J.P Gemmer....

Not all Plains rifles are "Hawken Rifles".....even if they are somewhat similar.

With the parts shown...
You look like you have the makings of a fine half stock percussion sporting rifle....not a "Hawken" Rifle.

.45 caliber is a little on the small side for most historic Plains Rifles...most , historically were in the .47 - .58 caliber range...
But .45 caliber was not unheard of for a Plains Rifle.
All that being stated..... A well balanced .45 caliber sporting rifle , makes a fine hunting rifle for deer and small game.

The boxed AP is a date code...in this case...1986
The lock and furniture may be marketed as for a "Hawken" rifle...but it ain't likely that any historical , as in original Hawken Rifle used something that looked like that.
Andy

Last Edited:
Thanks for your reply Andy. I suspected when I used the term "Hawken" that it was possibly a more broad description than I realized or wanted. Thanks for the descriptions of the variations that could be considered a Hawken.

I didn't mean to use that term for this group of parts as something exactly styled after an original but more that there are or have been several half-stock kits over the years that use the Hawken title for their designs (right or wrong).

My dad built many B.P. rifles and pistols when I was a kid in the mid-west and he shot competitively in the late 50's. In the early 70's my brother and I also got the "bug" and were able to muzzle-loader hunt together with our dad in eastern Oregon. Between the 3 of us, we had a real cross section of rifle styles and calibers but more importantly, we enjoyed the time together hunting a great deal. I do have an original .45 cal. half stock that has been handed down through our family though the years.

Well a good thing here is that you can get a stock and shape and finish it as you like...
Then it can be as close to an original antique rifle , or make it an original GSample Rifle...:D

Love hunting with and shooting with muzzle loaders...nice to read of you and family doing so as well.
Andy

Thanks Andy. Nice to meet you here as well.

My plan with these pieces is to put them up for sale given I have a bunch of my own firearms. It's not such a personal issue for me since these are still new, individual parts. Had these been used in a build of my dad's, it would be a different story altogether. Some of what I'll be offering up were my brother's things but most of his items have been sold. As I continue to help my sister-in-law, I keep running across various pieces but I'm getting to the end of the effort now.

Thanks again.

- Greg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews