JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I got a call from the ATF office in Portlandia concerning my 01FFL application. According to the gentleman I spoke to, everything checked out with application submitted to ATF headquarters, so they sent it to his office. There were two additional items not requested on said that he asked I send over, which I did. It is looking like I will have the ATF interview in a couple weeks, after which, I am told the license will be issued.

Back when I was 03FFL licensed I had a compliance inspection, which was the only time an employee of the bureau was ever physically at one of our places. And it was nothing; just checked my bound book and went through a list of federal regulations.

This, however, is new to me. Anyone know what to expect?

Thanks for any insight. :)

Standard operating procedure for new licenses.
They'll look over your location, security, book keeping questions, and other general questions relating to the business practices you will be employing. They may offer advice on pitfalls to avoid and brief you on current industry trends etc... Nothing to be concerned about, keep an open mind, listen closely, probably a good idea to have some questions ready for the inspector that you haven't been able to get answers for yet.

Thanks much @Greenbug. My interview is actually tomorrow, because I sent over the missing materials so fast and, according the the ATF fellow, he has to be down in this county for another visit. Wish me luck. :s0155:

Thanks much @Greenbug. My interview is actually tomorrow, because I sent over the missing materials so fast and, according the the ATF fellow, he has to be down in this county for another visit. Wish me luck. :s0155:
As Greenbug said, not a big deal. Portland office is VERY nitpicky about your A/D records, so I'd take notes if he gives you some guidance. Use only 1 color ink if in the books, make sure everything is filled out, etc. "Two person verification of the background check and firearm before the customer leaves with the item," is a phrase that makes them happy.

When you order your first set of 4473s from the forms website make sure you also get a copy of the full guide book for FFLs. Also, order some stolen gun forms, youth handgun safety brochures, and the youth handgun safety sign. He'll probably make a comment about the sign tomorrow.

One final word of advice I will give you, if a customer or another dealer tries to rope you in to a criminal act, call the local office. Some people here may think that's bubblegumty, but if they get caught (and they will) they'll throw you in front of the BATFE train in a second and you don't want to go to prison for someone else.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Way back in about 1990 when I had the SOT Class 3 license I got inspected early on a Saturday morning. Actually a nice guy. My books and inventory were perfect except for a couple of 4473s not signed. He was in and out in 20 minutes.

This was about the time the license jumped from $200 bucks to $1000 bucks. PWA transferable M16A1 lowers were only $500 bucks each. Wish I had kept a dozen or so. The license expenses along with the liability insurance sunk me. Long ago.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply.

Last Edited:
As Greenbug said, not a big deal. Portland office is VERY nitpicky about your A/D records, so I'd take notes if he gives you some guidance. Use only 1 color ink if in the books, make sure everything is filled out, etc. "Two person verification of the background check and firearm before the customer leaves with the item," is a phrase that makes them happy.

When you order your first set of 4473s from the forms website make sure you also get a copy of the full guide book for FFLs. Also, order some stolen gun forms, youth handgun safety brochures, and the youth handgun safety sign. He'll probably make a comment about the sign tomorrow.

One final word of advice I will give you, if a customer or another dealer tries to rope you in to a criminal act, call the local office. Some people here may think that's bubblegumty, but if they get caught (and they will) they'll throw you in front of the BATFE train in a second and you don't want to go to prison for someone else.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Thanks much for the insight. Funny you mention about the diligence of the local office; the two things he requested I double checked I didn't miss on the packet sent back east. I hadn't, but it is something they normally ask for, so no worries. The fellow I have been working with at ATF, and will meet tomorrow, has been friendly, professional and thorough.

Thanks for the offer to pick your brains; I'm fairly certain I might just do that, but I promise not to be a bother. In my "day job", I work in IT in the financial sector and interface with about a half-dozen alphabet soup regulatory agencies in the world of finance, and a myriad of state and territorial types. So the world of navigating federal fun is nothing new to me, though this particular front is, beyond being C&R licensed and investing in NFA tax stamps over the years, sort of uncharted waters.

Rotsa Ruck, keep us posted!
What's your plan once your licenced and up and running, good buddy deals on cool Shootin irons and stuffs?;)

More details coming in the following weeks, but, indeed. Stay tuned, amigo. :D

That better be the plan!! :D

%22YOU%27RE_DARN_TOOTIN%2C_WE%27LL_KEEP%27EM_SHOOTIN.%22_-_NARA_-_516286.jpg

Thanks all for the thoughts. Much appreciated. :)

Just wrapped up the ATF interview a short bit ago. It was about 1¼ hours long. No big surprises, just some minor paperwork and went through the regs. Hopefully should have a license by August-ish. :)

The 01FFL arrived in the PO Box today. Time to celebrate!

H0rgsUb.gif

And I have a bunch of follow up questions for you fine folks, but I believe I'll draft those up in another thread. :D

Congratulations!:)

Thanks! :)

Let the party begin! Congrats, lookin forward to seeing this take off and grow! Hope we can be a part of it, gotta keep the Smurf in Shiny Baubles:D:p

Thanks, my friend. I still have some more bureaucracy (largely state-level now) to plow through, as well as getting this side biz off the ground, but this is a big hurdle that is done with. :D

And, yah, whatever may come, @TeacherSmurf is hip to the shiny. :p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads