JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One thing that I don't like is when the TV program doesn't "fit" the screen. Modern stuff is wider that some older stuff. If I want to watch a re-run of Gunsmoke, or the Honeymooners (as examples), those were originally shot on film that was designed for televisions of the era. With narrower screens. If the adjustment on your TV or cable box isn't set right, the older stuff can come out distorted. Like Perry Mason's face gets wider than ever.

For 37 years, we've had cable TV. Previously, that came in through a proprietary receiver box that was hooked up to the TV, which was simply a monitor. I think we've gone through three TV's over the years. Including the last one, which was a flat screen that didn't last all that long, maybe 6 or 8 years. So late last year, I had to buy a new one. A 55 inch flat screen. When I was buying it, I had no idea this was a "smart" TV. Our son had to rig it up for me, I couldn't get through the set-up process. I would've never guessed it had to be connected to the internet. So the whole rigging now consists of the TV screen, the PC, and the cable TV box. The connection to the PC is via WIFI. In addition, our son linked it up (via the internet) to a service that he pays an annual fee for which in turns gets anything, free. He's showed me how to use it, but it takes a lot of toggling around and cable TV is enough to keep me busy. I did watch one movie through this feature that never comes up on the internet.

Anyway, we got the new "smart" TV set up. But I've been bothered by the aspect ratio on the screen of some things. I beat my head against the wall trying to Google the issue. The make and model TV I've got, the videos and pictures that "how to" you with instructions, those pictures don't look like the settings features that my actual TV has. The online owner's manual describes a settings panel that I do not have. I messed around with this thing until I got a headache. Finally, our son was over tonight and I got him to waste a half hour of time to figure it out. Even for a tech savvy guy like him, it wasn't easy. It seems that there are two places where the aspect ratio can be tweaked, one in the TV and on in the cable TV control. Both are buried kinda deep. The one on the TV didn't change the screen, but the one controlled by the cable box fixed the issue. In past set-ups, it was real easy to change the aspect ratio using the cable TV box remote, I think it had it's own button. As it turned out, the cable box was preset to the wide screen setting. Now I think it's set on automatic, so it changes with the program as necessary.

There was some other setting that was a default at the TV factory. There is this thing called motion interpolation; it supposedly "smooths out" the picture. Also called, "soap opera effect." Our son told me that most new TV's come with this setting as a default; you have to reset it to a "normal" view. Evidently, this feature is widely disliked, so I don't know why on earth the manufacturers keep it as a default setting. He reset it on the new TV, and this with the aspect ratio change has resulted in nice, crisp, true depicture. At last. Why does it have to be so difficult?

I would kill off the Internet connection to the TV, TV Internet connections are notoriously unsecure and can compromise your entire system.

I've noticed that our last 2 ,new TVs make old movies look choppy. Especially when something fast is happening. I don't know if the refresh rate of the screen is outrunning the frame rate of old, shot on film movies or what.
About six months ago I went from a 50" Plasma 720P TV to a 65" Ultra HD Smart TV. I too had the sense that the picture was choppy/herky jerky. Six months later I don't notice a thing. I don't really know if a setting got changed, or I just got used to it. I will say I'm amazed at the video quality on some of the old movies on the Turner Classic Movies channel. I suppose they have upconverted them somehow, but the picture is often much better than a person should have any reason to expect.

Due to having an Ultra SLOW Internet speed and unable to access anything over the air, I'm still stuck with Dish Network. I wouldn't mind the outrageous monthly fee so much if I wasn't missing things like the World Series and getting blacked out on Mariners games because of Dish's feuds with the local FOX network and ROOT TV. Changing settings on Dish is a little bit challenging, but not that bad because I've been on their system for so long. The settings on the new Smart TV were a bit more of a challenge.

I have a Samsung smart TV, I'm over 70, and basically electronic technology ignorant, though I have no trouble changing the aspect ratio. I don't understand what I read so just click on the different options till it looks right. I don't mess with it much as it formats for the old analog style by its self. This I assume is because it all comes from the air antenna broadcast as is, and not altered in a cable box. In all my life I've never once had cable, a cell phone either, (except for a brief time provided by work) and that was a flip phone. Nor a dishwasher for that mater.
The irony is when I was a young I used to repair old radios and resell them and when I got into the military I repaired TV's but that was in the tube days and once the Field Effect Transistor came out Electronic development was accelerating faster than I cared to keep up with having many other irons in the fire I did care about.
I found most advances in electronics is more about antiquating the old and selling new stuff than an actual increase in help or convenience to folks.

I like the extra width of cinema style pictures, and I don't mind black bars at the top and bottom. In some cases you can lose picture at the left and right sides of the screen if you expand to fill the top and bottom, and like you said otherwise the picture gets distorted if you expand vertically.

I have a smart tv but I never use that feature, so I don't have it linked to my home internet. Instead I use a Roku interface, which gets its data from the internet (I trust Roku more than the tv manufacturer) and sends it to the tv via a HDMI interface. The Roku only costs me about $70 when I buy it (one time expense) but I think it has more channels available than a smart tv (or so I've read) and has an easier interface than the smart tv (or so I've read).

Roku has hundreds of channels available, and I think most of them are free. I only pay for one pay channel at a time, and then I have another two dozen channels I watch that are free. If I exhaust the pay channel's offerings, I can cancel that channel and get a different pay channel with shows/movies I want to watch, so I only pay for one channel at a time, maybe ~$10 per month, and it is otherwise entirely free except for the broadband internet connection, which I already have anyway for my computer. Way cheaper than cable-tv. Some cable-tv channels aren't available as a Roku channel, so I lose there. I'm thinking maybe History or A&E or Discovery, some of the channels you associate as cable-tv specific.

For broadcast network tv (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox) my digital antenna works fine, plus another 30 channels or so that I almost never watch. Some of the other channels are ok, like channels that are always showing old westerns or old sci-fi, but some are broadcast in a foreign language. I program my tv to skip over the channels that for me are just clutter. I never watch PBS with the antenna (there's a Roku channel for that anyway) but I watch sports on the other four broadcast channels.

I actually had to crop a TV show I was watching on my computer last night. The old TV show is called Becker, and when they put it on DVD, which I got from the library, there's these annoying flickering white lines at the very top of the screen.

I have to use two different programs now to get the show on my computer. My Handbreak program stopped working, so I have to use MKV also.

VLC video viewer has a crop feature to get rid of anything annoying on the sidelines.

One thing that I don't like is when the TV program doesn't "fit" the screen. Modern stuff is wider that some older stuff. If I want to watch a re-run of Gunsmoke, or the Honeymooners (as examples), those were originally shot on film that was designed for televisions of the era. With narrower screens. If the adjustment on your TV or cable box isn't set right, the older stuff can come out distorted. Like Perry Mason's face gets wider than ever.

For 37 years, we've had cable TV. Previously, that came in through a proprietary receiver box that was hooked up to the TV, which was simply a monitor. I think we've gone through three TV's over the years. Including the last one, which was a flat screen that didn't last all that long, maybe 6 or 8 years. So late last year, I had to buy a new one. A 55 inch flat screen. When I was buying it, I had no idea this was a "smart" TV. Our son had to rig it up for me, I couldn't get through the set-up process. I would've never guessed it had to be connected to the internet. So the whole rigging now consists of the TV screen, the PC, and the cable TV box. The connection to the PC is via WIFI. In addition, our son linked it up (via the internet) to a service that he pays an annual fee for which in turns gets anything, free. He's showed me how to use it, but it takes a lot of toggling around and cable TV is enough to keep me busy. I did watch one movie through this feature that never comes up on the internet.

Anyway, we got the new "smart" TV set up. But I've been bothered by the aspect ratio on the screen of some things. I beat my head against the wall trying to Google the issue. The make and model TV I've got, the videos and pictures that "how to" you with instructions, those pictures don't look like the settings features that my actual TV has. The online owner's manual describes a settings panel that I do not have. I messed around with this thing until I got a headache. Finally, our son was over tonight and I got him to waste a half hour of time to figure it out. Even for a tech savvy guy like him, it wasn't easy. It seems that there are two places where the aspect ratio can be tweaked, one in the TV and on in the cable TV control. Both are buried kinda deep. The one on the TV didn't change the screen, but the one controlled by the cable box fixed the issue. In past set-ups, it was real easy to change the aspect ratio using the cable TV box remote, I think it had it's own button. As it turned out, the cable box was preset to the wide screen setting. Now I think it's set on automatic, so it changes with the program as necessary.

There was some other setting that was a default at the TV factory. There is this thing called motion interpolation; it supposedly "smooths out" the picture. Also called, "soap opera effect." Our son told me that most new TV's come with this setting as a default; you have to reset it to a "normal" view. Evidently, this feature is widely disliked, so I don't know why on earth the manufacturers keep it as a default setting. He reset it on the new TV, and this with the aspect ratio change has resulted in nice, crisp, true depicture. At last. Why does it have to be so difficult?

I spent more time disabling the motion interpolation feature than I should have. Eventually I quit poking around in the settings and searched for "VCR effect". I got results around "soap opera effect" and decided that was close enough. Soap operas were one of the first formats to change to magnetic tape, and therefor among the first to have weird motion effects. You could usually also disable it with something like "Sports" or "Football" mode if your TV had it, but some of them added a stadium sound to the audio, which was really annoying. All of this was probably at least 10 years ago, so it may be a bit out of date.

I spent more time disabling the motion interpolation feature than I should have. Eventually I quit poking around in the settings and searched for "VCR effect". I got results around "soap opera effect" and decided that was close enough. Soap operas were one of the first formats to change to magnetic tape, and therefor among the first to have weird motion effects. You could usually also disable it with something like "Sports" or "Football" mode if your TV had it, but some of them added a stadium sound to the audio, which was really annoying. All of this was probably at least 10 years ago, so it may be a bit out of date.
Yeah, my son told me about this, which I'd never heard of nor experienced previously. He tells me the different TV manufacturers call it different things, and lots of TV's are set as a default on this when they are made. He also tells me it can be hard to disable.

I still use a 20 year old 4:3 tube tv, even a vcr. But I got one of those modern cable boxes that connects to the internet. It took me a year but I can now watch YouTube, stream movies from Netflix and Pluto TV, it's dam fun and addictive.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top