JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stuff like this is hard. Since we only get one side of the story here who knows. Does sound like the guy let his mouth get ahead of him. It is stuff like this that got my Wife to buy me my first body cam though. Was walking new puppy. Guys dog runs out to street to try to make meal out of my dog. I was pissed and armed. I yelled at house as teen kids who let dog out thought this was quite funny. Dogs owner comes out and I asked him is this your dog? He said yes and got real aggressive. I said fine, you let it come after me in the street again and I will stop it for you. He then wanted to fight. I said no problem I will swear out a complaint and we will let a judge decide. He then called 911. So I waited just down the street for boys in blue. They came, spoke, left. I get home and Wife is all on me, what did you do. Police were here, animal control was here. I calmly told her I had spoken to both. Guy with Dog got visit from animal control and was told they would try to get me to let this go with a warning to him. He was according to the officer VERY contrite by this point and I did let it go. Wife on the other hand ordered me a body cam for walking dogs. We have one with us whenever we are out with them now. Things have been a GREAT solution to this kind of stuff. I wear it any time we out out hiking too for just this reason. If something "happens", there is no he said she said. What was said is plainly on tape. Now of course if someone can't control themselves or their words this can be a two edged sword :)

I started a thread almost a year ago now about wearing a body cam. As a landlord, it has been nice to be able to document disputes with crazy tenants.

In Idaho threatning with a CCW doesn't necessarily mean "I gotta GUN."
It could also mean "I gotta a knife over 4" long,"... which also requires CCW to carry concealed.
Depending on his verbiage, he's not threatening at all, unless one finds a wallet sized card threatening.
Way I see it unless he actually brandishes a weapon, it's the equivalent of saying, "I know Karate" to ward off a bully... Then again I'm not a pussified snowflake that has let the media and other snowflakes scare me into believing I should be scared and offended by everything that could possibly be considered scary or offensive reguardless of common sense.
We (in Idaho) have no CCW required anywhere, anything, or anytime. We are a free carry state.

We (in Idaho) have no CCW required anywhere, anything, or anytime. We are a free carry state.
I'm taking a road trip in the near future so I was brushing up on the carry laws for each state I may be visiting... from what I read over 4" you need a CCW Ihttp://www.knifeup.com/idaho-knife-law/
but it does say in the summery:
"In Idaho, you can open carry any knife. You cannot conceal carry a bowie, dirk, or dangerous weapon, with a blade longer than 4 inches, unless you have a weapons permit. There has been no cases that defined any type of knife or length of blade to be a "dangerous weapon." Because of this, you most likely would be OK carrying a concealed knife if you don't use it in a deadly way."

So basically carry whatever you want, but if you have a scary looking knife over 4" you could get in trouble. The pocket knives I carry are all under 4" and I have a WA CPL anyway so I'm not worried.

We superceeded that a couple of years ago when we passed a law allowing any non restricted citizen to carry without any permit (constitutional carry). The legislature passed the law and the Gov signed it. You are reading an old Out of date statute. the only reason anyone in Idaho gets a CCW is to carry in another state or streamline the background check when buying a gun. The law was even upheld for collage campuses.

Last Edited:
We superceeded that a couple of years ago when we passed a law allowing any non restricted citizen to carry without any permit. The legislature passed the law and the Gov signed it. You are reading an old statute.
Wish WA would rethink our knife laws... we can't have switch blades or OTF knives.

Huh, I tried to click but as I feared, what a tarbaby nightmare of a link but anyway.
Wasn't there a blacklivesmatter fella screaming to a gathered mob to burn the city down a little while ago.? on camera? for about an hour or something?
I think they gave him the keys to the city.

Wish WA would rethink our knife laws... we can't have switch blades or OTF knives.
You can't even own select fire parts........so do something about it. My wife and I spend (tens of) thousands of dollars every year supporting lawmakers that have our ideas and standards. I was raised in eastern Washington. It is well known that you have some of the most corrupt politicians on the planet. Why don't you fix it? I knew both crooked and honest politicians in the state. Don't get me started about Tom Foley or how George Nethercutt was treated.

What struck me about the story was the dog jumping on him but not biting him.

Having experience with several large dogs, to me that's not "an attack". That's an excited mutt lacking training and improperly off-leash, which is the fault of the owner, but not a dangerous situation. If it was a true attack, the dog would have led with his mouth, and the guy would be bleeding. A lot.

The guy sounds like a real idiot.

You can't even own select fire parts........so do something about it. My wife and I spend (tens of) thousands of dollars every year supporting lawmakers that have our ideas and standards. I was raised in eastern Washington. It is well known that you have some of the most corrupt politicians on the planet. Why don't you fix it? I knew both crooked and honest politicians in the state. Don't get me started about Tom Foley or how George Nethercutt was treated.

Unfortunately I haven't had much to contribute financially, but I'm proactive where I can be. I vote, and Ive done my share of writing to my reps. There is always more that can be done though.
I realized how bad it was in Olympia when Rossi had the election stolen from him by that evil b*+[# Gregware after 3 recounts. I've actually met and talked to both of them... Dino is a great guy... I met him at a banquet just a few months before that election, I got the sense that he was very sincere, and with his success of balancing the budget without raising taxes, I was sure he would win. Christine I met towards the end of her reign at the opening of a new facility at our community college... One of the fakest people I've ever talked to. She actually gave me the creeps. How people couldn't see through her facade is beyond me. I asked one of her aides how she managed to steal the election and he smiled, but he didn't deny it. He knew his boss was corrupt.

What struck me about the story was the dog jumping on him but not biting him.

Having experience with several large dogs, to me that's not "an attack". That's an excited mutt lacking training and improperly off-leash, which is the fault of the owner, but not a dangerous situation. If it was a true attack, the dog would have led with his mouth, and the guy would be bleeding. A lot.

The guy sounds like a real idiot.
Those were my thoughts too.........I am not responsible for your unreasonable fear.......Years ago, when living on my boats with a large dog, we would go to an off leash dog park daily......lots of those sort of interactions. Never saw anyone bitten. There were a few dog fights but I never saw any blood.

Unfortunately I haven't had much to contribute financially, but I'm proactive where I can be. I vote, and Ive done my share of writing to my reps. There is always more that can be done though.
I realized how bad it was in Olympia when Rossi had the election stolen from him by that evil b*+[# Gregware after 3 recounts. I've actually met and talked to both of them... Dino is a great guy... I met him at a banquet just a few months before that election, I got the sense that he was very sincere, and with his success of balancing the budget without raising taxes, I was sure he would win. Christine I met towards the end of her reign at the opening of a new facility at our community college... One of the fakest people I've ever talked to. She actually gave me the creeps. How people couldn't see through her facade is beyond me. I asked one of her aides how she managed to steal the election and he smiled, but he didn't deny it. He knew his boss was corrupt.
You are in a tough enviorment, corruption in the state (Washington) has a long and glorious history. The Patty Murray affair was outrageous but even before that guys like Jim McDermott, even back to Warren Magnuson. About 10 years ago my wife and I decided it was time to quit living where we didn't want to be and establish a permanent estate somewhere we really wanted to live. I know the west very well, so asked her where she wanted to go? We immediately ruled out both Washington and Oregon, Montana was a maby, Wyoming is good, Nevada has lost its luster. Idaho was the place and we haven't regretted the choice for a second.

Idaho was the place and we haven't regretted the choice for a second.
I'm slowly working on my wife to eventually make the move 5 miles east to Idaho someday.

I'm slowly working on my wife to eventually make the move 5 miles east to Idaho someday.
I know where you live well.........my dads busisness partners are well known lifelong residents of Greenacres (do you remember the square dance hall on Mt Spokane?) It is a wonderful area but as you say, just a little too far West. We are always excited when good guys join us. I have a cousin that lives in Rathdrum for that exact reason. My dad hated moving to Washington (for work) my brother is rooted in Spokane and Mica but prefers Idaho too, he has a good size busisness (my dad's old shop) in town (I will be there on Monday)...............be strong.

Last Edited:
We superceeded that a couple of years ago when we passed a law allowing any non restricted citizen to carry without any permit (constitutional carry). The legislature passed the law and the Gov signed it. You are reading an old Out of date statute. the only reason anyone in Idaho gets a CCW is to carry in another state or streamline the background check when buying a gun. The law was even upheld for collage campuses.

Idaho citizen? I thought you still had to have a CHL to CC inside city limits?

Nope.......the state law has precedence. (Like when idiot Beiter, Boise's mayor tried to make Uber illegal in the city.....the Gov passed a state law legalizing them, or when the nucklehead Macall city council tried to pass a law setting a 15.00 minimum wage, the Gov fixed that with a state law as well)

Nope.......the state law has precedence. (Like when idiot Beiter, Boise's mayor tried to make Uber illegal in the city.....the Gov passed a state law legalizing them, or when the nucklehead Macall city council tried to pass a law setting a 15.00 minimum wage, the Gov fixed that with a state law as well)

http://handgunlaw.us/states/idaho.pdf
see page 2.

not challenging your expertise just trying to find it myself. Im still trying to read thru all the legalese in the actual statute itself : Section 18-3302 – Idaho State Legislature

Im curious because I visit Idaho at least once a year.

If I were into walks in populated areas I would carry bear spray. Dog starts to harass me I warn the owner to get the dog under control if there was time, if not I would just give the dog a face full of bear/pepper spray.

Dogs don't scare me, even big ones that act intimidating, so I just can't see shooting one. For other times when I thought I might be about to get bit the bear spray would probably handle it.

I do think the body cam is a good idea these days as their just may not be time to pull out the phone and activate the cam on it during a quick confrontation.

Bear spray works on human idiots as well as canine idiots. Much less trouble after words then using bullets. For those times when deadly force is not needed, carry bear spray.

~

A dog doesnt jump on you in an attack without biting you. I think the CCW guy made up the attack or is a snowflake, and somewhere between the camp host and media reporting some anti-gun crap was thrown into the story.

probably the only honest guy was the dog owner who approached the CCW guy to apologize for his overly happy dog being off leash.

id be funny if it turned out to be a tiny lap dog... lol

Senate bill 1389. There are many articles in the Statesman (newspaper) that explain it. I don't know enough to attach one.

From what I read you have to be a resident of Idaho for that to apply. Non-residents need a permit to CCW inside city limits.

?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads