Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Oregon Rifleworks

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show

Posted by Gassyman
Battleground Community Center
Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 12:00 AM
Until: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 01:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Los_Angeles)
Categories

Event Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Start: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, May 9, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, May 9, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, August 8, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, August 8, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Start: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 12:00 AM
End: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 01:00 PM
Reactions
I was just having fun. I buy plenty of gun stuff like the rest of you. LGS and online.

I’m guessing with all the competition and ability to check prices and “lies”. Gun shows must have lowered there prices since i last went. Heck that was 2001 I think. Maybe 2004. I dunno.

I’m just remembering gun shows from the 90s to early 2000s.
Those shows were vastly different from the shows these days. A lot of vendors quit after the ammo bubble of a few years ago, when ammo prices collapsed. We're also losing a lot of veteran vendors (the "Plankowners," who started making a living from the shows since the 1970's, when they went commercial), with no one (including their kids, who have been helping them) replacing them.

You sound like just another scramble-brained old timer who we have to put up with at the shows...

Last edited:
Reactions
The large "For profit" gun shows such as seen at the Portland Expo center or Clark County Fairgrounds have to rent the pavilions for a rather large fee. The vendors in turn are charged much more money to set up tables to cover those costs. As a result, there really aren't any good deals found at those shows. You'll pay the full price if not more for just about anything. Those are actually more like "Trade Shows". The vendors then charge more money to recover the costs of setting up their displays. It's not just gun shows. That makes it seem like I'm paying a cover charge just to go into a retail store to look at goods. Organizations such as OAC and ACSWW are just small membership clubs that try to keep the traditional "Gun Shows" alive. They try to find the lowest cost place to rent to set up for a show, and hopefully it works out. OAC has been fortunate that they can get the Jackson Armory and pretty much stay there. ACSWW will sell you a membership (last I had one it cost $20), you get a card, and that admits you to the years shows for free. Not a bad deal.
The problem here is that you're including shows at the Clark County Fairgrounds, which are run by that criminal outfit "Big-Top Promotions." Big Top is one POS's store masquerading as a gun show, with maybe one or two token "vendors."

Reactions
The problem here is that you're including shows at the Clark County Fairgrounds, which are run by that criminal outfit "Big-Top Promotions." Big Top is one POS's store masquerading as a gun show, with maybe one or two token "vendors."
Regardless of what you think about a particular venue, the business end of it remains the same. I have seen it time and again at other trade shows like an Ag show. Big money to rent the venue, then whatever vendors show up to set up a table, they in turn pay quite a bit of money just to set up the table. They have to jack prices just to pay for the trip and rental. I have seen small vendors travel to CCFG from as far away as Puyallup to get a table, and I can bet you they lose money on the venture. I really don't care for "Big Top Promotions" any more than you do. I know of "Mom & Pop" and other small operations that won't go to a gun show like that. I don't blame them. So where is the problem that I included BTP?? From what I have seen at attendance there, they don't have much longer on the show circuit anyway. Fewer and fewer vendors showing up, and fewer paying customers coming through the door. It is actually one of the dullest gun show experiences I can put myself through.

AMT

Reactions
Never been to one in BG. I think I'll hit this one. ;)

Am I reading correctly that it opens at midnight goes until 1pm? :confused:

EDIT: never mind. I went to the website and verified.

Last edited:

mm93

Reactions
Doubt there are any gun shows to attend until the restrictions from corona virus end. So I'd check before planning to attend ANY gun show in the next month.

But many people are judging all gun shows on what they see or used to see at big commercial for profit gun shows. Those big shows care about only one thing.....renting tables. They can't see past their own greedy noses to realize that if you rent tables to people with non gun or knife related crap the attendance will die. And as the attendance dies, so does the table rental. They cut their own throat, but wont change until it's too late.

The small gun shows that are collectors groups and are non profit for the benefit of their members and the public are better regulated. They don't allow all the beanie babies, jerky, nuts, jewelry, coins, etc. that the big for profit shows do. So if you haven't been to anything but the commercial gun shows then you're really missing something good. Don't expect to find tables full of new ammunition, or brand new guns at these small club non profit shows. But do expect to see good things for sale, and often at fair or even bargain prices.
But what's just as important to many gun guys is the social aspect, and helpfulness you'll find at these smaller non profit shows. It's not uncommon at all to see guys hauling in an old heirloom just to get some help with a problem, or evaluation from someone. And it's also common they get what they were looking for, and for free with a smile and a handshake. I personally love it when somebody brings in great grandpa's old rifle and wants to know if I can give them some info or help with it. And often it ends up that the person becomes a regular and stops by to visit every month. These small non profit gun shows are the backbone of our gun collecting interest, and a great place to see good guns, and connect with others who have a similar interest to whatever you also enjoy.
Don't discount them, or lump them into the same group as the commercial gun shows. You could join SWWAC or OAC and attend all year for less money than entry and parking costs at one commercial gun show. And you'll be much happier when you are at these shows.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    I enjoy this local indoor range, they have lots of fun guns to rent and try out. They also have a gun store if you want to purchase something.
    • wa2020
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is a great guy to work with! I have had several transactions with him and will continue to do business with him. He is my go to dealer!
    • hker71
  • Straight Shooter Supply
    1.00 star(s)
    A relative of mine recently went through this place to purchase a handgun. They were rude to her, lied to her, and must be new to this FFL stuff...
    • FullMetalJerk
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is great. Easy to deal with, super low prices on his transfers.
    • DizzyJ
    5.00 star(s)
    Had my first transaction with Steve and will be recommending him to anyone in my circle. Good guy with a really helpful attitude and goes the...
    • SonnyJim

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online