JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a gem of a rifle. Its an Arisaka type 38 with every part present save for the dust cover and cleaning rod. The chrysanthemum stamp is intact and the only real flaws are surface rust on some of the steel parts, the bore is undamaged and the rifling is strong. My plan is to restore this rifle (yes, I know it'll probably kill collector value, but it's very likely I'm never selling this gun). Therefore I have some questions about the parts. I can find reproduction dust covers for the type 99, but not the type 38. The bolts and receivers between the two look nearly if not outright identical. Will a cover for a 99 fit with a 38?

I just bought a gem of a rifle. Its an Arisaka type 38 with every part present save for the dust cover and cleaning rod. The chrysanthemum stamp is intact and the only real flaws are surface rust on some of the steel parts, the bore is undamaged and the rifling is strong. My plan is to restore this rifle (yes, I know it'll probably kill collector value, but it's very likely I'm never selling this gun). Therefore I have some questions about the parts. I can find reproduction dust covers for the type 99, but not the type 38. The bolts and receivers between the two look nearly if not outright identical. Will a cover for a 99 fit with a 38?
the covers are different, Sarco has some repros for the 38, I dont know how they are for fit and finish. Ill keep an eye out for an original for you

Mikej, this one's for you.
Arisaka.jpg

Funny...I just looked at the computer and decided to check and noticed I had 2 alerts. Good timing huh? I don't really know any thing about the Arisaka, but I'm currently into old military. So far...Swede Mauser, Enfield and an 03 A3. If it's soaked in linseed oil and war time, I'm interested. Oh, there needs to be affordable ammo and components for reloading.

Ammo is out there, but as it usually runs about $1.00 per round, I need to be judicious in its use. It might be worth investing in some reloading dies for 6.5x50.

Ammo is out there, but as it usually runs about $1.00 per round, I need to be judicious in its use. It might be worth investing in some reloading dies for 6.5x50.

Here's a little wake-up for you....

6.5x50mm Japanese (6.5x50 Arisaka) ammo rifle : AmmoSeek.com :eek:

This ^^ is where I go to get ammo for the old stuff. PPU, purportedly, has good brass. I've found that PPU has decent prices and if the brass is good then I have brass for reloading down the line. But that? I'm not so sure.

I've found 6.5x50 for less than those prices on a google search. I've also heard mixed reviews on the PPU brass. One complaint I have heard is inconsistency in the rim thickness.

P.C.I. AMMO 6.5x50 JAP 139gr FMJ (NEW) 20/BX - Graf & Sons

$1.45 per round, so my initial estimate was low.

Hmm. I sorta looked at ammo Seek as the be all/end all of online ammo sales. Interesting that ammo seek doesn't shows PCI ammo from Graf and Sons, but does show it from Ammunition To Go? For $30.95/20.

I picked up a reproduction dust cover and cleaning rod. The cleaning rod is a perfect fit, but the dust cover is an absurdly tight fit. It makes me wonder if the folks who make reproduction parts actually have a rifle to test their product on.

I hope there is a way I can make the cover fit. Perhaps it is a matter of deburring the edges. However, I'll never know unless I can get the damn bolt back out! :mad:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top