JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was given a box of parts which I hate to just throw away without knowing if they are useful to someone.
Thought this may be the best place to ask if anyone recognizes the parts.
If you need more pics to recognize, PM and I can shoot you more.

blt2.jpg unk.jpg unk2.jpg cln_kit.jpg cs.jpg

Picture no. 1, that looks like some kind of British Enfield rifle bolt.

Pictures no. 2 & 3: I agree with posts above, those are Mauser broomhandle internal parts. I haven't taken one of those apart for 50 years but I recognized them right away.

Those parts might be valuable, you would be well advised to sell them at auction on ebay where you'd get the most money. Check out this item on Ebay, which doesn't have any parts in it and is broken, listed at $500 which is unrealistic:

Here's another one, more like yours, for $300:

If you go the auction route, don't start too low.

Picture no. 4. Obviously cleaning parts, I don't know if they have any value due to being for a specific firearm.

Picture no. 5. What's in the OD bag marked Bolt, looks like something is peeking out of there. Or is that where the presumed Enfield bolt came out of?

The bolt could be a variety (lee enfield, lithgow, stevens...) The flat bolt arm is early and possibly an LE MK1 or... lithgow 22 trainer...(?)

What's the bolt face look like?

blot face is flat. looks like an Enfield but the cocking piece has smooth sides instead of ribbed.
Bottom of the cocking piece is also flat instead of having the undercut just behind where the sear engages.

01.jpg

blot face is flat. looks like an Enfield but the cocking piece has smooth sides instead of ribbed.
Bottom of the cocking piece is also flat instead of having the undercut just behind where the sear engages.

View attachment 1868972
Cool. That looks to be an enfield No1 MKIII bolt then. I'm not well versed and not sure what the dates or differences, but I know there were Enfield SMLE's, Lithgow SMLE's and some "rebuilt" Lithgow SMLE's.

Really though I have no idea of the variations or identifying which were british and which were australian mfg (I think the lithgow's(?)), but the parts were pretty much interchangeable.

I've "seen" no1 MKIII's without the back ribs, just smooth sided, but again, I don't know which is which or when or who or why some may or may not be ribbed or smooth. It's a simple exchangeable piece though so I would imagine there was some replacement parts mixing going on during that period(?) The smooth side I've seen have usually been Lithgow rebuild SMLE's, but I don't know if that actually means anything considering my personal experience sample size is all of about 3. :D

I'm only confident on the No1 MK III .303 part.

View attachment 1868972
So that looks like a No.1 bolt head, but the smooth cocking piece was a war time expedient used on the No.4 rifle, and was quickly abandoned because it was creating safety issues. A mutt of many parts? There should be markings on the bolt, the cocking piece, and the head and that would tell us more as to what these things are. Also, No.1 receivers are more prone to flex than No.4 and mauser type designs. Bolt mismatch on No.1s is not that trivial, as the safety margin is lower.

I stand corrected, the Type D smooth cocking piece was also used on No.1s. Still , the bottom should have cutouts for sear engagement.

No.1 cocking piece variations:

1713969468002.png

No.4 smooth piece:

1713969571575.png

Last Edited:
cocking piece looks like the No.4 and or the Type D.
Has SM stamped on one side.
Bolt handle has 1956 and +79 (i think) stamped on bottom side of arm.
The bolt head has a few marks on it. backwards C and what looks like two flags crossed on right side.
I cant tell what is stamped on top, maybe an M
If any of this tells anyone anything.
Thanks for all the information.

No.1 cocking piece variations:

View attachment 1868998
Very interesting info! Thanks for sharing.

Kind of funny though. One of the rifles I was looking at must have had an actual mfg's type A on it. The first one I handled had what I now know is a type D so when I saw the last one with smooth sides I had just assumed someone had beat the Livin CRAP out of the cocking piece. 🤣

cocking piece looks like the No.4 and or the Type D.
Has SM stamped on one side.
Bolt handle has 1956 and +79 (i think) stamped on bottom side of arm.
The bolt head has a few marks on it. backwards C and what looks like two flags crossed on right side.
I cant tell what is stamped on top, maybe an M
If any of this tells anyone anything.
Thanks for all the information.
SM = Singer Manufacturing Co.
1956 = probably the serial, but would need picture to confirm
Two flags = actually crossed lances, British Military proof mark:
M = Mild Steel (bolt heads made for wartime expedient used Mild steel)

1714007260090.png

1714007288695.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews