JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those are very clear-cut cases, the kind I've already thought through and decided on.

The scenarios that worry me most are the "grey" areas that seem to happen all too often; the ones you can't predict or plan for because the devil is in the various details.

I will do everything I can to protect my loved ones and myself. To that end, I am not the guy to draw down on the mall shooter or anybody else for that matter. If I (we) can avoid confrontation, we will. Stopping the mall shooter is not my responsibility. My responsibility is getting my loved ones and myself home and safe at the end of the day. Most of the times this would mean run and hide... NOT challenging or trying to stop the shooter.

If there was no other option and I did need a gun to ensure the threat does not reach me or mine, there is no talking, just self preservation. I am not a police officer and am not going to pretend to be one and try to save everybody. If others are willing to put themselves into a situation like this (I see it as merely going out in public if not just existing) and they're not willing to take their own well being and personal protection into their own hands, that's their problem, not mine.

The decision to USE (not carry) a firearm is made in the here and now. You make the decision now and you prepare as best as you can. The phrase "you never rise to the occasion, you default to your training" is as sure as death and taxes. Learn and understand what "condition red" is and hopefully you'll never have to experience it with a deadly weapon involved.

I will do everything I can to protect my loved ones and myself. To that end, I am not the guy to draw down on the mall shooter or anybody else for that matter. If I (we) can avoid confrontation, we will. Stopping the mall shooter is not my responsibility. My responsibility is getting my loved ones and myself home and safe at the end of the day. Most of the times this would mean run and hide... NOT challenging or trying to stop the shooter.

If there was no other option and I did need a gun to ensure the threat does not reach me or mine, there is no talking, just self preservation. I am not a police officer and am not going to pretend to be one and try to save everybody. If others are willing to put themselves into a situation like this (I see it as merely going out in public if not just existing) and they're not willing to take their own well being and personal protection into their own hands, that's their problem, not mine.

The decision to USE (not carry) a firearm is made in the here and now. You make the decision now and you prepare as best as you can. The phrase "you never rise to the occasion, you default to your training" is as sure as death and taxes. Learn and understand what "condition red" is and hopefully you'll never have to experience it with a deadly weapon involved.

Well said.

-Mark.

It is a difficult situation but when I was in the military I had no issues in pulling the trigger because you knew you would not get in legal trouble. Now that I am out and carry everywhere I always ask myself about this. I know it would have to be the last resort because I worry about legal ramifications that could bankrupt someone. I will do it though in a case where someone is firing already. I think they should have a good samaritan law like they do with CPR. You can't be held liable if you act in good faith trying to protect life without endangering others. My opinion.

Scott

I think that if you carry a gun, you need to be able to use it. Not saying you need to be trigger happy, but you need to know when to use it. I for one am not going to wait around for the cops to come. Who knows how far away they could be and in a deadly situation, all it takes is a couple seconds. Bottom line, if I get attack with deadly force, I will be the one going home that night.

If confronting someone who was actively shooting people or making that attempt, there would be no use in trying to communicate with that shooter, if I was in that situation, I hope that I would remember my own advice and make sure the shooter was stopped by punching a few holes into him or her.

Living with taking a life would really suck, but you have realize the alternative.

close encounters will reveal who you are. i have been to the edge and back like many others here. mine came with druggies robbing my neighbor. it comes at you quick and you will react or not.

Mr. Probasco's observations ring true; my own reactions of going right after the people was completely unexpected, the couple of times it's happened. You sort of reflect afterwards and go, dang, where did that come from?

Frankly I'd expected that my innate nature would have been to head the opposite direction from the trouble and quick. That would probably have been the smart choice.

Nope, not difficult.

Someone open firing in a mall? Shoot back. End.
No politics, no guilt, no hesitation. Grow up and take care of the problem.

Pretty much my mentality. I would rather die trying to stop that shooter then die curled in a ball hiding somewhere, or trying to live with the fact that I could of done something to prevent it, but didnt. That to me would be a worse burden to bare.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews