JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think there are a LOT of cartridges better than the .30-06 for certain various purposes.

I'm just not sure there are very many cartridges better than the .30-06 for nearly all purposes in North America.

I think the cartridge is mundane, pedestrian, and unexciting. I have avoided it all my life for calibers of more intrique.

Tell me what caliber for general big game hunting in North America you believe is a better choice, and why.

I'll reveal my choice late in discussion. It may surprise some.

I am certain that the mundane, pedestrian and unexciting perception of the 30-06 is simply because it is such a totally reliable, capable, predictably excellent cartridge that has served to that calling for over a century. Not given to frivolity or fad, excessive recoil or wear, it is simply the best and most versatile cartridge ever developed. Boring, huh?

No, there is nothing better than the "06" Stop looking before you grow hair on the brain. You might throw the stars out of alignment and cause the rivers to stop flowing if you keep it up.

Me, I like the 7.5x55 - a 174gr 'modern' style long ogive bullet at 2650 fps. What's not to like?

Pal of mine in CH has an Accuracy International L96A1 re-chambered in this great old cartridge so that he can use 200gr bullets for extremely long ranges by .30cal standards.

Works for him.

tac

Me, I like the 7.5x55 - a 174gr 'modern' style long ogive bullet at 2650 fps. What's not to like?

Pal of mine in CH has an Accuracy International L96A1 re-chambered in this great old cartridge so that he can use 200gr bullets for extremely long ranges by .30cal standards.

Works for him.

tac
Great cartridge...just don't lose or run out of ammo.

Not so much today, but you could not too long ago stop for gas in any rural town in America and find a couple of boxes of .30-06 for sale along with .22, .410, 12 gauge, 30-30, probably Remington or Winchester, no matter what time of year. Try that with .308, 7MM magnum, etc.

It's supposed to kick, let's you know you pulled the trigger and if you shot straight you'd have a nice trophy. I'll bet there are 40 million 06s of various makes and models in the US today. It just works for many, many applications.

Brutus Out

I don't think there's any question the 30-06 has lived it's day and done a fine job doing it but it's time to retire it and move on. The Saami pressures are rated too low for it and technology moved on. The .308 replaced it as the king of the medium calibers and the 7mm Remington Magnum is the king of the magnums. The .22 LR will never die and the
223 remington fills in the lower end of the varmint section. For hand guns the .357 mag will be here till the end of time and the .44 mag will rule the roost as the top magnum. The semi auto's will have the 9mm and the .40 SW till the ends of the earth. Not to leave the little 30-30 an orphan but it will be the one gun poor mans gun for eternity.
And, don't forget the .35 Remington