JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They'll hold value better than a PSA. And the LE stamped ones will always have a following. But I wouldn't invest my life savings in a truckload of them. ;)

Colts often hold an overinflated price for what they really are. That being said, I have no doubt collectors will love the news of them not making anymore civilian legal ARs.

But that being said, Im happy with all my other brand ARs.

When the market isn't oversaturated, they'll likely bring it back...why wouldn't they?

Indeed, what little I read was they were just ceasing production for now to focus on government contracts they obtained. I'd imagine those contracts are pretty lucrative and the civilian market is awash with ARs, from low end junk to high end "Gucci", with a lot in between. Colt, like any other manufacturing concern, has only so much production capacity.

This is like the 4th or 5th time theyve pulled something like this...big DGAF for me....their "civilian" sales have been Meh for years, looks like they just landed a new .gov contract, so they are concentrating on it. What better way to purge inventory than announce "we are halting sales". Look at what happens...."Oooh Oooooh!!!!! gotta get one of them Colts before theyre gone!!! "

:rolleyes:

IMHO.....
Look back at history to those days of the '94 AW ban.

Remember how much your run of the mill COLT AR went for vs. the other "Frankenguns"?

OK....disclaimer time.

"Past results are not indicative of future returns, etc., etc....."

So then, whatever. Gamble the way YOU like to.;)

Aloha, Mark

Collectable? No.
There are a gazillion examples of items with intrinsic value that have been discontinued that are only worth what they're worth... for some reason certain "Limited Edition" Harley Davidson models come to mind. My GF has a 40th Anniversary (Special) Edition Mustang that only has value as a (mostly) reliable means of transportation... and she looks dang sexy driving it (I also like to think that I look pretty macho pushing it).

Prices and "collectability" will be driven by outside forces, most likely government infringement and imposed shortages

Maybe some parts and certain models. This is probably temporary as they noted because they are running a large military-run and they can't compete with today's market. They will probably still product parts like they did last time they did this just not at the full production level. Older colts and certain parts that were already climbing due to not being produced will probably hold their value.

Last Edited:
Just an FYI, I had a Colt Expanse IIRC it had a LE sn. Te upper receiver and lower receiver were both the same as what I have found on any M-4 6940, however that's where the similarities ended. the everything else was not the same as a 6940 and more inline with what I'd expect on a good budget M-4 style build. Not great, not bad. I thought about striping the upper and lower receivers and replacing them with poverty pony and using them for a different build however in the end I just sold it.

As has been mentioned Colt has stepped out of the civilian market before just to allow "LE" versions to slip onto the market.

Kind of like all the ruger with the GB, folding stocks and the magazines that they restricted to law enforcement only to allow them to be sold on the civilian market at inflated prices.

Old sears and roebucks or montgomery ward .22's and other guns are collectible... they're bot always the best quality or on par of what you could buy new, but people love buying them!
In a way everything is collectible. Some people even keep their baby teeth, and others still collect other's teeth...
So yes, a Colt AR is collectible and has value to a collector of the item.

However, they will only hold value to somebody interested in them.

I'm wondering if the adoption of a new cartridge by the military is the reason for Colt temporarily concentrating all of their production in the direction of military and LE. Seems like a new cartridge might require a new AR style rifle.

Too early to know. There will always be someone but to the masses, probably not. Colt AR, imo, are known for quality & reliability. Not for above average accuracy.

colt stopped civilian production...for now.

they'll be back... like the sand people.

im not or will i ever buy a colt AR: id rather build

That's the point so many in the news missed. This is a buyer's AR market and it's tough to turn a profit, especially at Colt's inflated price. If/when the market changes and they can become profitable they will start up civvy production again.

Personally I think they are a great rifle, but I'd rather spend $200 on ammo than a horsey roll mark.

Before this news, some Colt marked AR's were already sort of collectible, like SP1's. With regard to AR;s, I don't think the Colt name will gain as much collectability traction as say, Python revolvers or some other models of their handguns. AR's for the most part are regarded as a shooting tool more than something to behold as an object of manufactured beauty. They are common, easily assembled, really in terms of manufacturing more like an automatic transmission than traditional firearms. I like my AR's including one Colt, but I don't cry when I drop one like I do a "real" gun. Does anyone else see this distinction?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top