JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
"Many a man will have the courage to die gallantly, but will not have the courage to say, or even to think, that the cause for which he is asked to die is an unworthy one.'
Bertrand Russel

0B3B6344-06E5-4FBF-A139-F0E00E277ED0.jpeg

To be fair, I think OP is advocating that more military members become conscientious objectors and refuse to fight. Unlike a conscientious objector who opposes all armed combat however, OP's quote in the original post advocates a soldier selectively refusing to fight a specific battle unless his or her individual standards are satisfied by the reasons and justifications given by the country or military superiors.

I could go on at length, but let's just say that I disagree with this approach and I have never been in a conflict zone where I felt my life was in danger because of an unjust war.

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone starting their own thread to share their opinion, even if I don't agree with the details of the perspective.

Is it tight, where your head is stuck?
An existentialist, a neo-modernist and post modernist walk into a bar and share a plethora of drinks while arguing their philosophies. When their bill comes due, each turns to the other and says, "you were supposed to cover it!"
The nihilist at the end of the bar pulls out his revolver, removes all but one round and gives the cylinder a stout spin before slamming it shut. He then slides it down to the arguing philosophers and says, "I'll pay for your drinks if one of you will pick up the revolver and pull the trigger on one of the others."
Which philosopher is the first to reach for the revolver?

The answer to your question is beyond the individual, and actually more of a question about in what we as a society find justice.
There is no answer, as what is moral is a matter of perspective.

This thread was not pointless, as I got a great joke out of it!
Thanks for the laugh @P7id10T
To answer your question, the existentialist shoots first, and probably unloads on the neomodernist.

The answer to your question is beyond the individual, and actually more of a question about in what we as a society find justice.
There is no answer, as what is moral is a matter of perspective.

This thread was not pointless, as I got a great joke out of it!
Thanks for the laugh @P7id10T
To answer your question, the existentialist shoots first, and probably unloads on the neomodernist.
And I would have said the Neomodernist grabs the revolver and attempts to shoot the existentialist.

I really like the way you guys take a thread and have fun with it. I hope I'm not a downer.

I'm thinking this is was a good question because a lot of people have suffered over these wars. Where is our empathy?

This country has helped crush and destroy nearly a dozen countries in eighteen years and none were a threat to this nation. We have reduced the lives of good people to picking through rubble and burying their children.

Has America become such a warring nation that we don't even question the morality of our wars? Has war just become 'our thing' ?

Aside from what we do to other nations, our country is spending its' wealth fighting these wars.

What could we produce if we weren't building F-35's and yet another carrier? High-speed rail all over the country? Affordable education? infrastructure? Why isn't this country producing engineers and scientists like other countries and creating great works and opportunities for our kids?

And worst of all we're wasting our best minds creating weapons and our children are but cannon fodder for these bubblegums.

Lastly, I believe we are held responsible for everything we do in life. If I participate in killing other people it had better be for good reason.
I've seen one sock-puppet knucklehead president after another. All are major criminals. I wouldn't trust any of them to tell me who to hate or kill.

I worked with combat veterans for four years and I recall three or four who questioned the morality of their service in Afghanistan and Iraq. I wondered if anyone at NWF had questions about it. Apparently not.

Anyway, I don't mean to offend any of you. I enjoy the forums.

Look what happens when we try to stop. You get booed at a ball game. Thousands of people in the stands who have never even been to a base PX prefer endless wars.

Endless wars are popular, forgotten or useful. Which would the OP say we have? I would categorize them as useful since we have several ways by two branches of government to end them.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR