JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Um, pre-assembled from PSA? Sounds like it was "built on a Friday" and completely bypassed operational check.

Most if not all budget brands do not do operational checks that's why they are budget brands. It's cheaper to handle some returns than test every part and nowadays they know most guys will go to a forum like this and try and figure it out themselves and usually do. Whereas government contractors such as Colt, FN, HK, SIg test parts because they can't risk faulty parts going into a firearm that is going to law enforcement or military.

It's not a bad thing because we can own ar15 style rifles at a fraction of the cost it's just some do have bugs and once the bugs are gone then they usually do very well.

Last Edited:
It's not a bad thing because we can own ar15 style rifles at a fraction of the cost it's just some do have bugs and once the bugs are gone then they usually do very well.
Yep, and considering the thousands that are sold and the rare few where you hear of these kind of issues, I'd say it's a pretty good thing.:s0155:

Yep, and considering the thousands that are sold and the rare few where you hear of these kind of issues, I'd say it's a pretty good thing.:s0155:

Yes, but we don't hear about all of them and usually, the problems are small and most if Ar15 know it alls can fix these problems. I have bought parts from JSE that have been out of spec like barrel nuts that were not threaded correctly and had to be returned, a rears sight wheel that was not ground flat on backsight so it would not fit.

My Bro in law bought a 20" barrel from JSE that had a gas block drilled for a carbine their solution was to tell him what size drill bit to get to fix it himself. A friend of mine bought a barrel from BCA and it shoots fine but damages brass. My bro in law bought a PSA and it had a rough break-in kept short stroking it works pretty good now but not 100% reliable I bought a couple of budget BCGs from another budget company and They didn't work because the extractors were not milled correctly I had to send back the extractors to get new ones. None of these were mentioned because I fixed them.

This article states that every complete upper is test fired.

"Every PSA upper, lower, or complete rifle is either function checked in the case of lowers or test fired in the case of uppers or complete rifles. This is done on site in a test range located just off the assembly area."

Try this with it unloaded point the barrel to the floor drop the bolt carrier group into the receiver see what it does the bolt should partially close then press it to lock the lugs you should be able to feel the lugs lock and it should take very little effort to do it. In fact, in some cases, a bolt will lock up just by dropping it in. If its hanging up its probably a misaligned gas tube which is very common. But you should feel it lock.

this and visual inspection should be able to determine if its a misaligned gas tube and I have even seen an out of spec gas key once that caused this problem as well.

If you haven't tried this, please do and let us know. I've found that the PSA rifles need to be wet when you first get them. They are not service rifles that have been cycled and can run dry or very lightly lubed.

So you have tried two different lowers..... So can probably rule out the lower.

You have used two different BCG, one being KNOWN to work in other rifles..... can probably rule out BCG then

Something has to be out of spec with the barrel, chamber or as mentioned above, gas tube out of spec interfering with the movement of the carrier.

Post some pics of the rifle, with the handguard off... inside of the receiver with the BCG removed as well...... maybe we can eyeball it for you.

I have built several rifles in different variations and different levels of quality and have made a few mistakes along the way..

Grasping at long straws here but these are my thoughts-
1. over-lubed bcg that creates a hydraulic lock of sorts, preventing the pin from traveling to the forward-most position.
2. Headspacing is way off- a blemished barrel something drastic.
3. Ammunition- is it a handload-did it come off of a progressive not set up quite right? Moving the shoulder back could cause forward movement within the chamber, moving the primer just out of reach.

I hope you are able to find the solution- there appears to be a great deal of support for one another on this forum. Good luck!

Sounds like its time to take it to one of our many members who has many years of AR-15 experience. ( really old dudes) who live around Portland, they could probably tell you within a few minutes what the problem is.

Last Edited:
Im betting on the gas tube.. I had a factory assembled PSA upper that wouldn't go into battery without FA, then it stuck, and when I finally pulled(hammered) the CH back the gas tube came out with the BCG.
The PSA employee of the month drove the gas tube pin in front of the tube...

If the gas tube is at all out of whack...when you drop the bolt you will actually be able to smell it.
Smells like a torch striker...

Too many unknowns. if the gun won't fire the first round then it would be the lower (fire control group) or bcg or chambering. The OP substituted known working lower and bcg so I think it could be a headspace issue. The chamber could be too long letting the round too far forward and creating light primer strikes.

Im betting on the gas tube.. I had a factory assembled PSA upper that wouldn't go into battery without FA, then it stuck, and when I finally pulled(hammered) the CH back the gas tube came out with the BCG.
The PSA employee of the month drove the gas tube pin in front of the tube...

If the gas tube is at all out of whack...when you drop the bolt you will actually be able to smell it.
Smells like a torch striker...

That is something that competent builders checks as part of their QC process. With the bolt removed from the carrier insert the carrier into the upper receiver and move it back and forth gently with just a finger of two, there should only be the slightest of resistance as the bell of the gas tube enters the spigot of carrier key. If there is resistance something is out of alignment.

That is something that competent builders checks as part of their QC process. With the bolt removed from the carrier insert the carrier into the upper receiver and move it back and forth gently with just a finger of two, there should only be the slightest of resistance as the bell of the gas tube enters the spigot of carrier key. If there is resistance something is out of alignment.
Are you saying I'm an incompetent builder?:(

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads