JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is something that competent builders checks as part of their QC process. With the bolt removed from the carrier insert the carrier into the upper receiver and move it back and forth gently with just a finger of two, there should only be the slightest of resistance as the bell of the gas tube enters the spigot of carrier key. If there is resistance something is out of alignment.
@Zoolander have you tried this yet? Are the primers showing any signs of being struck? Are you capable of posting some photos?

Have you checked the alignment between the hole in the barrel and the one in the gas block, or the hole in the gas tube and the one in the gas block. Check to be sure they are even there, in the right alignment and not obstructed, or in the wrong position in the barrel.
An easy test is block one end of the barrel and shoot air in the other. If its all good a lot of air should come out the gas tube, not just a little trickle.

OF absolutely no help in the present situation- is the observation that this is exactly why I only buy Colt or sometimes a Windham in AR15... no brass-monkeyed ARs, or AKs, either. But that's just me- hope you get the issue resolved and have the rifle working with minimal problems!;) FWIW I'd be betting on that gas tube...

Last Edited:
Have you checked the alignment between the hole in the barrel and the one in the gas block, or the hole in the gas tube and the one in the gas block. Check to be sure they are even there, in the right alignment and not obstructed, or in the wrong position in the barrel.
An easy test is block one end of the barrel and shoot air in the other. If its all good a lot of air should come out the gas tube, not just a little trickle.

This has nothing to do with the issue the OP is having, this would be something to check if he was experiencing short stroking or single shot syndrome, but in this case the rifle isn't getting that far into the cycle of operation.

Those stating misaligned gas tube/carrier key and out of spec chamber are on the right path.

If you could give very detailed info on what happens step by step from when you load a mag and each step after that would be a huge help in figuring this out. With limited info I'm gonna go with the gas tube being out of alignment with the gas block. Do you have a low profile gas black or a FSB gas block. I had a similar issue a while back and my gas block and tube somehow became misaligned a d the holes didn't line up so it wouldn't fire and wouldn't eject at all. But if you can give very detailed play by play I promise that will be a huge help in figuring it out

Your right. I kind of lost (glossed over) the part were he never even gets the first round off.
Plan B
Gas tube out of spec. Headspace too deep. Bad ammo.
I don't think the carrier key if he has replaced the BCG.
Hard to just guess without being hands on.

This has nothing to do with the issue the OP is having, this would be something to check if he was experiencing short stroking or single shot syndrome, but in this case the rifle isn't getting that far into the cycle of operation.

Those stating misaligned gas tube/carrier key and out of spec chamber are on the right path.

Not trying to diagnose but, have a PSA upper that at first would fail to go fully into battery 20% of a magazine. Sometimes first round, not always. Very difficult to then eject unfired round. Was shooting my reloads, of which I've shot 10's of k's with 0, zero, issues. Called PSA, though I hate to admit, nice lady e-mailed me RMA and pre-paid shipping label within a minutes explanation. Return ship paid by them with report saying "found sharp edge in chamber, repaired, passed QA". Runs fine now.

Thank for all the replies, here are a couple photos.

I'll probably just take it in somewhere and have them look at it. Running a Covid relief charity right now and most of the time is being spent on that.

IMG_20200416_1945015.jpg IMG_20200416_1944463.jpg

Zooming in on the first pic, it looks like the barrel extension could be off slightly (or the M4 cuts in receiver are off). If the prior is the case then of course the BCG lugs would not "fit" in properly. I would RMA that bad boy or check if the pin in barrel extension is broke, but RMA.

Just wanted to join the discussion and add my "2-cents". I will actually admit that I'm a "fan boy" of PSA and specifically there most recent upper offerings ~ "mil-spec" (Anchor Harvey forging uppers), FN hammer forged barrels, Geissele super modular rail MK14 m-lok handguard and Geissele's super gas block that's drilled and pinned / "bomb-proof" installation. Anyway the "RMA" as mentioned is definitely the way to go and I'll cut to the chase (as every conceivable potential issue has been addressed).

If it says "PSA" "it" has a LIFETIME WARRANTY regardless of ownership.

Start calling one or two minute before they open (1-803-724-6950) and talk with one of there customer service representatives as this will reduce hold time and you'll get your RMA within 5 minutes. I WOULD NOT email them in this current environment.
Good luck..!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews