JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a new Bushmaster Varminter in .223 with a 24" barrel. I plan to mostly target shoot & but since I live in coyote country I plan to try in on a yote now & then.

I haven't much optic experience besides the Burris 3 x 9 that I have on my Ruger 77 30.06.

I'd prefer to spend under $1,000.00 for a scope but would spend more if the extra cost was justifiable. My buddy tells my to buy a Vortex but I,m not real familiar with them & generally buy well know brands. I prefer quality over fads.

I'm interested in mount opionions also!

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions!

Depending on the max range you think you'll be shooting... like 600 yds or less, you probably want a scope with at least 14X on the high end. A Leupold VX-3 with side adjust parallax in a 4.5-14x40mm or 6.5-20x40mm would be a good place to start.

I hear that Vortex scopes are pretty good, but I have no personal experience with them, so in fairness, can't offer any objective opinions.

Cheers,
C

What do you think of the glass on that Nikon Jonn? Have you had an opportunity to compare it to anything else? How accurate are the marks for the side parallax adjustment vs. a known distance, and what is the max parallax, or does it just go to infinity after X yards?

Cheers,
C

i have a leupold MARK-AR 4-12x40 mildot reticle on my rifle length AR-15 and a burris p.e.p.r qd mount both of them work very well and are well under 1000 for the set, i think i paid 300$ for the scope and 100$ for the mount.
the only thing i dont like about the scope is the eye relief is hard to get used to other then that i would think it would make a fine yote scope.
i also have 2 nikon scopes a buckmaster 3-9 w/ bdc and a rimfire 3-9 w/ bdc reticle they are also very nice scopes, i have the nikon rimfire is on my 22mag which is most likely what i would use for coyote hunting if i ever went out and hunted them.
the vx-3's are also very nice, i have one of them on my deer/elk rifle

id say you couldnt go wrong with either of those

What do you think of the glass on that Nikon Jonn? Have you had an opportunity to compare it to anything else? How accurate are the marks for the side parallax adjustment vs. a known distance, and what is the max parallax, or does it just go to infinity after X yards?

Cheers,
C
I prefer Nikon glass over Leupold. I've had 3 leupolds sold 2 of them and currently own 7 nikons if that tells you anything. I've also owned bushnell,aimpoint,simmons,weaver,burris and a few others I can't think of right now. The parallax knob goes to 500yrds that's the furthest I've used it but you can still adjust it further out it is not dead on according to the yardage hash marks but is close I find that I usually I have to back it off a little.

I have a Bushmaster Varminter that I just installed a stainless steel bull barrel on. It came to me used with a Vortex Crossfire on it. It refused to shoot smaller than a 4 inch group at 100 yds, and a little investigation showed that the inner tube was loose inside the scope. I had read about Vortex's lifetime, no questions asked warranty, so I emailed them about my 2nd hand scope and they said send it in. After examining it they offered me a new 4-16x50 Crossfire for free or an upgrade to a Viper 6.5-20x50 MilDot model for $150. I jumped on the upgrade.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x50-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

I'm very happy with it so far. It's as good as anything I've ever used. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them at all.

Couple of tips:

1. In order to get a correct and comfortable amount of eye relief you'll want a cantilever mount (like the Burris PEPR) so that you can push the scope far enough forward.

2. In order to get a good stable cheek weld to the butt stock and a natural feeling sight picture you'll want to remove the riser blocks that come on the Bushmaster receiver. These blocks are clamped onto the top of the receiver with mounting screws and they raise any scope you mount on them up about 1/2" to 3/4". This forced me to raise my cheek off the buttstock to get a good sight picture, which really hurt my accuracy and was uncomfortable. I believe they use permanent Loktite on the mounting screws, so either drill the heads off (like I did) or heat the threads up with a torch to melt the Loktite and release the screws. Removing those risers made all the difference on my rifle. It comes up naturally now, with a good, stable sight picture. I no longer find myself hunting for a clear, centered view of the reticle.

IOR 4-14x50 with MP-8 Dot for me on mine. A little over your price range, 4-14x50 30mm SFP Tactical Scope SF Standard MP-8 Dot Reticule - Tactical Scopes - Scopes

DSC06840.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Love this scope. The dot is fast and easy to pick up but fine enough to be accurate. I also have one on my M-14 and plan on putting one on my AR-30 .300 Win Mag but going with 6-24x50 for it.

I've had a few IOR Valdada scopes. Not inexpensive... but absolutely wonderful Schott glass. Comparable to US Optics and the Australian March. Speaking of March... if you ever get the chance, look through an 8-80X-56mm, it'll make you cry with happy. :)

Cheers,
C

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews