JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The lower does not need to be marked "pistol" in any way, shape, or form. The crux of it is that a serialized lower used as a pistol must NEVER have been part of a rifle either from a manufacturer, or if built from a serialized stripped lower (which is a "firearm") and subsequently sold as a rifle (and listed as such) on a form 4473, then it would become an SBR if you put a <16" barreled upper on it. Once it's a rifle, it's ALWAYS a rifle.

If the serialized lower has only ever been sold as a "firearm" (or subsequently sold as a "pistol") on a form 4473, you may legally install a >16" barrel on it and go back to a <16" barrel on it w/o issue, HOWEVER it may not have a buttstock installed on it at the same time as a <16" barrel as that would make it a SBR.

Having said that, the major components that constitute an AR pistol are:

1. Non-rifle lower.

2. <16" barrel.

3. Buffer-tube (with or with an arm-brace/stabilizer).

4. NEVER having a legally defined/determined buttstock.

Hope that helps! ;)

The lower does not need to be marked "pistol" in any way, shape, or form. The crux of it is that a serialized lower used as a pistol must NEVER have been part of a rifle either from a manufacturer, or if built from a serialized stripped lower (which is a "firearm") and subsequently sold as a rifle (and listed as such) on a form 4473, then it would become an SBR if you put a <16" barreled upper on it. Once it's a rifle, it's ALWAYS a rifle.

If the serialized lower has only ever been sold as a "firearm" (or subsequently sold as a "pistol") on a form 4473, you may legally install a >16" barrel on it and go back to a <16" barrel on it w/o issue, HOWEVER it may not have a buttstock installed on it at the same time as a <16" barrel as that would make it a SBR.

Having said that, the major components that constitute an AR pistol are:

1. Non-rifle lower.

2. <16" barrel.

3. Buffer-tube (with or with an arm-brace/stabilizer).

4. NEVER having a legally defined/determined buttstock.

Hope that helps! ;)

Thanks Stomper,

I'm just "kicking the can" about some parts I have and what to add to, or do with them.:cool:
I think the key here might be, "serialized" lower.:D

Soon as I can afford it, I am going to add one of these to my 10.5" pistol build. It should bring it well over 27" so it will become just a "firearm", rather than a "pistol" opening up a bunch of options, mainly front grips.
DFA Modified Cycle System - RIFLE CALIBER - with Right Side Folding Stock Adaptor | Dead Foot Arms LLC

I really like the system, that allows full function, folded.

I thought that if it has a barrel less than 16" you cannot put a rifle stock on it... no matter what the overall length is.

Yeah, you put on a pistol brace, to keep it legal. Check #7, about the OAL..

25299085_2057762117583580_8629411554450944327_n.jpg

Gotcha. I didn't realize the folding adapter could be used with a pistol brace. When I glanced at it all I saw was "stock adapter" and "rifles". Thanks for clarifying!

That's a cool chart too!

My pleasure. I hope I didn't come off as anything but trying to be helpful. It's the way around here. :)

Yeah, the Gizmo does a bunch of cool stuff. Allows for folded operation, un like the other folding types, re-engineered operating system, that gives you just enough length, using a 10.5" barrel, to get you over the OAL. Just.

Well, as hard as it may be to believe... under the chart, you could legally take a milspec M4 upper with unpinned FH (14.5, normally NFA SBR) and just slap it on a pistol lower and you're good to go!

Believe it or not, THIS is a pistol (well, Other Title 1 Firearm) at around 28" OAL...
20171213_235432-jpg.jpg
363376-8979c1f22a92fd0b4c8f53e01587768a.jpg
And those are 40-round Pmags, not the normal 30! (And if you think that's bad, if it goes forward my GL/SSC is gonna be rockin' two 60-round drums, two 45's on the rear and another 40 or two up front...)

And the thing that goes up LOL
Why yes, actually the maingrip does exactly that on the build I posted... GL/SSC:TNG isn't going to need to fit in a briefcase for discreet carry (the concept is a Bedside/House Gun, while Mk 18 Mod Briefcase is more Vehicle/Bugout Bag/PDW) so I'm thinking stick with fixed there.

EDIT: Actually, the GL/SSC might be a good Backwoods Hiking Gun, so maybe it needs a folder on both grip and buffer after all... even though that means giving up the second 60 for a 37mm M203 flare-launcher.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top