JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
brasscapture.jpg

Modify your loop so that it bends down to below the ejection port. Drill a hole for each side of the loop in the scope mount. The little loops on the ends of the wire loop will catch on the far side of the scope mount and keep it from sliding out of the holes in the scope mount. The rubber band keeps tension on the loop so the ends won't slip out of the holes... but you can spread the ends apart and remove the catcher easily. No set screws or other retaining device other than the rubber band will be needed. I think I would try aluminum windows screen for the catch bag. Nylon screen might melt from powder gases.

Just a thought.

I tried to make a 3D drawing so it will probably take a bit of staring at the picture to understand the perspective.

16919670156717637895991509695387.jpg

20230813_160226.jpg

Last Edited:
I get it, but it is a solution to the worry of losing brass.

A deflector might be an easier solution. That way you won't need a net and or a bunch of stuff stuck on the side of the gun. Something that allows ejection, but better directs the brass straight down.

Like this but angled down. Won't catch it, but it won't go too far.

View attachment 1469656
Yah, something like this angled, as you mention & just leave it be.

My concern over a shortened lower profile catch bag would be brass hanging up/failure to eject & such. Not always, but more. It'd super suck to happen if @Koda NEEDS shot #2.

If he does go with a homemade (nothing wrong with such, kudos & would be interested to see what he comes up with for sure!). Just run it a whole bunch to about eliminate failures of 3 shots.

Maybe something printed vs a bag, or vinyl instead of mesh? Dunno.

Edited to reflect OP vs reply...

This 100%!!! I'm still waiting on the AR10 version, going on two years now.
Yeah that looks Good! I have the net bag type that attaches with Velcro straps.

TWO Problems with those (at least):

1) The Velcro straps are not really a solid attachment and they have a tendency to slip. Just OK at the range, but would not work at all in a hunting situation.

2) The bag nets are usually made of some type of plastic. The hot brass coming out of the ejection port on a hot day after a few consecutive shots Melts the bag netting. :)

I "improved" mine by sewing in a hot pad (the stove-cooking type).

But still.

The loose attachment of the Velcro makes it a PITA.

My concern over a shortened lower profile catch bag would be brass hanging up/failure to eject & such. Not always, but more. It'd super suck to happen if @Koda NEEDS shot #2.
This is on my mind and definitely a concern. Hopefully id have time to test befor Oct.

Yeah that looks Good! I have the net bag type that attaches with Velcro straps.

TWO Problems with those (at least):

1) The Velcro straps are not really a solid attachment and they have a tendency to slip. Just OK at the range, but would not work at all in a hunting situation.

2) The bag nets are usually made of some type of plastic. The hot brass coming out of the ejection port on a hot day after a few consecutive shots Melts the bag netting. :)

I "improved" mine by sewing in a hot pad (the stove-cooking type).

But still.

The loose attachment of the Velcro makes it a PITA.
My only issue with the Brass Goat is that it's only designed for mil spec lowers and fits funny on lowers such as the M4E1 from Aero Precision.

I dont have any coat hangers but played around with some soft bailing wire, I think with the wire holders Reno suggested this could work.
That said, after a visual, I'm not certain its worth it for 1 or 2 pieces of brass, especially cheap Starline brass because I can see now this would block access to the chamber Im not liking the idea of something like this that isnt removable without tools.
Undecided.

1691988828125.jpeg

My only issue with the Brass Goat is that it's only designed for mil spec lowers and fits funny on lowers such as the M4E1 from Aero Precision.
I can say the Brass Goat is easily modified if you need to remove material in a spot or two. I modified mine to clear an old school fat quad rail handguard on another rifle. The only big difference I see on the Aero M4E1 is the flared magwell, the part that clips inside the trigger area should still grab. I dont have an Aero though, so I cant truly say if it would or could work.

There's a million variations of this: https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Resistant-Convenient-Picatinny-Collection/dp/B00EB5OU0Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ZDDE7ODGCY6G&keywords=brass+catcher&qid=1691948636&sprefix=brass+catcher,aps,305&sr=8-5

I have one and it would be quite simple to cut the wire frame and netting to whatever dimension you desire.

My only concern with cutting it TOO low profile is the possibility of the brass deflecting back into the ejection port.
That's what I was thinking too that they already exist. The wireframe ones are about as small you can get the only difference is the size of the bag. If it were me I would find an exiting one that looks like a good fit and the reduce the size of the mesh bag. No need to reinvent the wheel. 2 cents.

That's what I was thinking too that they already exist. The wireframe ones are about as small you can get the only difference is the size of the bag. If it were me I would find an exiting one that looks like a good fit and the reduce the size of the mesh bag. No need to reinvent the wheel. 2 cents.
This is what i was thinking after my mock up wireframe above. Ill see if i can still find my old caldwells catcher but never liked that design.
Not certain this project is worth the hassle....

I get it, but it is a solution to the worry of losing brass.

A deflector might be an easier solution. That way you won't need a net and or a bunch of stuff stuck on the side of the gun. Something that allows ejection, but better directs the brass straight down.

Like this but angled down. Won't catch it, but it won't go too far.
View attachment 1469656
Good point. These work well. This one is for a flattop receiver.
1692034617654.png

This is what i was thinking after my mock up wireframe above. Ill see if i can still find my old caldwells catcher but never liked that design.
Not certain this project is worth the hassle....
Yea I think I may have a Caldwell one (can't recall). I added a second Velcro strap on the opposite end of the existing strap to make it more secure.

I noticed Amazon has a hard plastic one also that is low profile. The problem though is it's very long. 2 possible issues I see hunting with the hard plastic one would be noise of empties rattling? and would it get pushed off too easily when going through brush? But length by itself may be a show stopper I dunno.

On the plus side the low profile and hard plastic may reduce snags compared to
mesh maybe.

76FA38D6-00DE-4FAF-8B43-FFD3EEA28B0F.jpeg

I suppose a person could cut off extra length at the red line then use urethane glue (like for windshields)/other? to glue on a new bottom.

D443AFAD-6B13-48F2-8731-5B05C118EDA7.jpeg

Last Edited:
I noticed Amazon has a hard plastic one also that is low profile.
To me thats still too bulky. My Brass Goat has the short mag hopper and would work but I think it protrudes too far out the side. Agree it would be snag free compared to the mesh cloth option.

I think my idea is turning into a bust. Not realistic. I want something tiny, only big enough to catch 1 or 2 pieces of brass. Im visualizing now a plastic rectangular box held over the ejection port... the mesh bag could tuck inside it. The brass ejecting would push out the mesh bag, and could accept another spent case.
Too much work to DIY.

My design , it worked on my 50beo pretty well but 9mm not so well.
I need to work on it some more

I save and reload brass too, but hunting is all about the hunt. If I lose one piece of brass I'm not going to cry. I actually have a pile of beat up brass that I use in places that I may not get my brass back. Plowed fields or long grass are known brass eaters. But both hold the ground squirrels I like shooting. DR

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews