JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a longshot.... pun intended. I dont think what Im looking for exists but Ideally Id like to buy one.
But I dont think it exists commercially so Im entertaining the idea of a DIY version, except Im not certain how I could secure it to the top pic rail? Looking for ideas on this if ones available or DIY ideas.... so heres the project.

Hunting with an AR15 Grendel Im using a handload and ideally want to save the brass. Looking for a low profile brass catcher that wont get in the way with carry in the field. The brass catcher needs to be low profile, doesnt need to catch/hold more than 2-3 rds at most.

Heres a rough sketch.

1691946782492.jpeg

Adjustable gas block. Turn off gas.
Kinda defeats the purpose of a semi auto. Im not that concerned about saving one or two pieces of brass.... If I cant find or come up with something, oh well.
I think I could make something up if I can figure out how to clamp the wire frame to the pic rail.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a semi auto. Im not that concerned about saving one or two pieces of brass.... If I cant find or come up with something, oh well.
I think I could make something up if I can figure out how to clamp the wire frame to the pic rail.

Yeahbutt, the liberal-progressives will FINALLY love you!

Not really, they hate everything.

Seriously though, this sounds like a GREAT project for a 3-D printer!

I get it, but it is a solution to the worry of losing brass.

A deflector might be an easier solution. That way you won't need a net and or a bunch of stuff stuck on the side of the gun. Something that allows ejection, but better directs the brass straight down.

Like this but angled down. Won't catch it, but it won't go too far.

1691948697559.jpeg

Yeahbutt, the liberal-progressives will FINALLY love you!

Not really, they hate everything.

Seriously though, this sounds like a GREAT project for a 3-D printer!
I do wonder what reactions I will get in the field if I run into any fudd or liberal hunters.

There's a million variations of this: https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Resistant-Convenient-Picatinny-Collection/dp/B00EB5OU0Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ZDDE7ODGCY6G&keywords=brass+catcher&qid=1691948636&sprefix=brass+catcher,aps,305&sr=8-5

I have one and it would be quite simple to cut the wire frame and netting to whatever dimension you desire.

My only concern with cutting it TOO low profile is the possibility of the brass deflecting back into the ejection port.
somewhere in a box I have a similar one that uses velcro to attach to the rifle. I'll have to dig it out and see if it can be modified.

Kids basketball hoops in the toy isle are a good source of inexpensive netting. As are dollar store laundry bags.

Wire management Pic and or Mlok panels can be used to hold a wire hangers width of cable in place it should be able to hold the wire hanger too.

Bend a hanger to the shape of the ejection port. You can go nuts bending a box or just a rectangle. Wrap or zip tie netting to hanger contraption. Screw/clamp ends into the wire management panels.

Drill the scope mount to accept the two sides of the piece of wire. Then cross bore the scope mount for a couple of set screws to pinch/retain the wire in the scope mount

If your scope mount doesn't line up then buy a couple cheap $5 picatinny mounts on ebay/amazon for $5 and drill them instead of the scope mount. If the cheap scope mounts are too long cut them down with a hack saw then finish with a file. Or buy a long picatinny scope riser block to raise your scope mount a 1/2" and drill that instead of the scope mount.

Use piano / spring wire for the loop so it springs back open after being knocked around.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR