JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Guys,

Had this posted in the Introduction section and was told it would gain more interest here....

Here's my latest project, an <broken link removed> . I'm currently working on the barrel and will post pics when I'm finished......

Later
John
NRA Life Member 1976

Cheap I doubt it. Just the cost of the various tooling would be nuts. Mill ends, drills, reamers, broaches, fly cutters, etc do not come cheap Not to mention the Mill, Vise, setup and clamping fixtures. Etc.

Cheap I doubt it. Just the cost of the various tooling would be nuts. Mill ends, drills, reamers, broaches, fly cutters, etc do not come cheap Not to mention the Mill, Vise, setup and clamping fixtures. Etc.

Mark,

You hit the nail on the head. People have the false assumption that if you build it yourself it will be cheaper - far from true.... This little project, without tooling costs will end up costing me in the area of $1500.00 to $1700.00. The cheapest part being the detent springs at $0.75 each and the most expensive being the upper receiver at $319.00 (straight from Armalite). I will have the rifle the way I want it, with a B.A.D. safety, Tac-ops charging handle, lo-pro gas block, etc. I will also be machining my own free float handguard with picatinny rails where I need them, not where someone else thinks I need them.

My wife calls me a spoiled brat and says it's all about me, well she's right when it comes to this project and I'm not ashamed to say it....... LOL :)

Mark,

You hit the nail on the head. People have the false assumption that if you build it yourself it will be cheaper - far from true.... This little project, without tooling costs will end up costing me in the area of $1500.00 to $1700.00. The cheapest part being the detent springs at $0.75 each and the most expensive being the upper receiver at $319.00 (straight from Armalite). I will have the rifle the way I want it, with a B.A.D. safety, Tac-ops charging handle, lo-pro gas block, etc. I will also be machining my own free float handguard with picatinny rails where I need them, not where someone else thinks I need them.

My wife calls me a spoiled brat and says it's all about me, well she's right when it comes to this project and I'm not ashamed to say it....... LOL :)

Not to mention the time involved......while its not a hard cost its certainly not to be overlooked

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top