JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what it is worth, when I was in the Navy Reserves and qualified expert marksman, the qualifying distances were at 100, 300, and 600 yards. Mind you these were 20" barrels. A 16" barrel can be used for CQ and clearing a home if nessecary.

Since you are talking about using your AR within the confines of your house, and the close distances involved you may want to look into weapon retention techniques. If you need some ideas let me know, and I can PM you. Keys.

Early on I was a shotgun guy in clearing homes. Had a Benelli with a factory muzzle brake...loved that gun.

Turned to the handgun, but found even with modern ammo, the percentage just wasn't on my side.

With a carbine loaded with some of today's top ammo offered...many won't get up from that.

The only problem one has in using a carbine in CQB stuff, is the offset from the sight to the barrel. It really is important to know and understand in distances under 20 yards.

Look at some of the videos on youtube by Kyle Lamb, good basic stuff. Basics are what will win a gunfight.

As for distances...50 yards on in for most contacts.

I respectfully disagree, there is a reason that the military guys stay on the rifle when they clear houses, they are faster on target with a deadlier round.

Yes and No. 62gr 5.56 is a great round and a horrible one at the same time. Also, room clearing with a rifle sucks, but I would take an M4 on burst over a Beretta M9 with FMJs any day when clearing. If I had a choice it would be a .45 ACP pistol with 230gr JHPs.

To the OP, I suggest you train with both, set up a course of fire equivalent to what you think you would experience, and run the drill with the AR and with the pistol ( I do this all the time, the AR is always faster....and more accurate, pistols are so you can fight your way to your AR).

I've always liked the mentality of having a pistol to "fight your way to a long rifle". Nevertheless, pistols and rifles have their advantages and disadvantages. The key is taking full advantage of their strengths (pistol= mobility, rifle=accuracy). There is a reason why entry teams carry a wide assortment of weapons with them from pistol to shotgun to long rifles.

Yes and No. 62gr 5.56 is a great round and a horrible one at the same time. Also, room clearing with a rifle sucks, but I would take an M4 on burst over a Beretta M9 with FMJs any day when clearing. If I had a choice it would be a .45 ACP pistol with 230gr JHPs.

I've always liked the mentality of having a pistol to "fight your way to a long rifle". Nevertheless, pistols and rifles have their advantages and disadvantages. The key is taking full advantage of their strengths (pistol= mobility, rifle=accuracy). There is a reason why entry teams carry a wide assortment of weapons with them from pistol to shotgun to long rifles.

Each to their own, but when I am on the clock in room clearing drills, I am faster and more accurate with my AR. I think with equal training, the AR is faster and more accurate. Pistols are great because you can have one on your hip at all times without any great difficulty. So a pistol is what you are most likely to have as a civilian readily accessible. So the "fight your way to the rifle" becomes its purpose.

Oh, and its not like I would stow my pistol, it would be on my hip as well if I am not jumping out of bed, sitting at my side if I did just jump out of bed. So I have a back up as well. But I will again repeat, I do not ever intend to "clear a house" I have done some force on force house clearing and it is a very deadly game, an ambush is way to easy to walk into, clear your house against an armed criminal, and you should expect to die.

I personally carry a 9mm +P+ most of the time, more rounds, and it is that same as my wife so we share a platform. I think that has greater gains over a larger caliber. We can share mags, and only need to carry one type of mag as the back store. That said when we are not together, I carry a 10mm, why settle for a .45 when you can have a 10mm? I can fit more of them in the gun and they are more powerful. Just say'n

I just can't see defending my house against a badguy with an AR.
I mean I like the idea but it seems like over kill and say you shoot and kill a dirtbag with an "assault rifle" sally and billy juror in this crack pot liberal nuthouse will fry your b-hole.

I think with equal training, the AR is faster and more accurate.

I guess that would depend on the sights you were using. EOTECH? Oh yeah, no argument here...one thing, however, that is missing from this is that most long rifles take two hands to effectively opperate. Opening doors and turning on lights is a chore when clearing with a long rifle. To me, a double stacked pistol with a flashlight attachment is perfect for most home defense situations (especially when you have multiple rooms and multiple floors to traverse).

Remember, in the military/LEO field you were also with a partner/team. But here it's just you checking on the noise you heard in the night...

My choice is a twelve gauge shotgun for home defense. Good knock down, quick target acquisition and less likely to travel beyond the confines of the house. Another reason is everyone know the sound of a shell being racked in the chamber! If that does not get the "Bad Guy" to leave, at least you gave him fair warning. Just my choice.

I just can't see defending my house against a badguy with an AR.
I mean I like the idea but it seems like over kill and say you shoot and kill a dirtbag with an "assault rifle" sally and billy juror in this crack pot liberal nuthouse will fry your b-hole.

How about if you're camping at a remote place where it's just you, the mrs, and perhaps your pooch? I think a case could be made for an AR in that setting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top