JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So - I'm very new to the gun collecting scene. I already have a shotgun for home protection and am interested in picking up one of the AR-Style .22's this weekend at the gun show at the Expo Center in Portland. I've been doing a lot of reading online and have narrowed it down to one of the following: S&W M&P 15-22, Colt M4 .22, Sig 522, or Ruger SR-22. There's also a VERY inexpensive one by Mossberg, their Tactical 22. The first 4 are all between $400-500, the Moss is only $225. I of course completely understand I'm basically overpaying for a simple 22 to have the AR looks and feel (somewhat) but can't rationalize paying for .223 rounds for something I just want to take to indoor/outdoor ranges and cheaply shoot for fun in my spare time. Again - I won't be using this for home protection and at a later point plan on getting an AR-15 that will rarely be shot (thanks to ammo cost). Do any of you have any of the above guns? What are your thoughts on your purchase and what do you reccommend of the group? Seems like these are getting more and more popular - and since everyone should own at least one .22 this seems like a fun choice.

Have you thought about getting an AR-15 and a .22 conversion kit? I went this route with a CMMG bargin bin AR with their conversion kit, last I looked it was ~$600 for the AR and ~$100 for the .22 kit. It's been good so far for a weekend plinker.

The mossberg is horribly ugly and looks like it came from Britain, don't buy it.

The ruger sr-22 is horribly ugly and looks like it came from Britain, don't buy it.

The colt is actually made by umarex and feels like cheap airsoft, don't buy it.

The S&W M&P15-22 is pretty cool

I have not used the sig 522 yet.

Yea I think of the group the S&W is the best one. I've considered the conversion idea but I'm on a tight budget this time around. Any clue if a used ar can get down to the 500 dollar range at gun shows? Any other tactical looking rifles I should consider that would be cheaper to shoot than the .223?

You could build a AR lower and then get one of the ATI .22 uppers that coctailer has from time to time. So far sounds like a decent upper/.22.

I myself bought the Sig 522 last year and still love it. Well built, great functioning rifle. In the end I think most of them just boil down to which you like the looks of best and what you feel like spending on them.

Both my friend and I purchased the S&W M&P 15-.22 and we love them. I haven't had a single problem feeding several types of ammo. My friend had a few feeding issues when he was loading soaking wet winchester hollows but hasn't had any issues otherwise.

The big difference between the S&W from the Colt is that the controls actually work just like a standard AR. The Colt has fake controls. The S&W also disassembles like a standard AR and the parts are interchangeable. The Mossberg is their 702 wrapped in an AR shell. The Sig is very nice but isn't as customizable. And since I already have a Ruger 10/22, I'm not a big fan of Ruger.

I'm planning on picking up a new .556 when I can scrape up the cash and not have other stuff to spend it on. The S&W M&P 15 was one of my top picks. Now I'm training with my 15-.22 so there won't be any gap when I buy the 15 since it's damn near identical.

Anyway, buy the S&W, you'll be happy.

I think the question is 'do you really need it'

If your going to practice certain tactics that would allow you to have the feel of an AR and saave big $ on ammo in the process then go for it. If your gonna shoot birds and whatnot may as well get a 10/22 and buy a SS bbl or sumn for your AR15. just my 2cents

You could build a AR lower and then get one of the ATI .22 uppers that coctailer has from time to time. So far sounds like a decent upper/.22.

This is the route I'd go. Since you are planning on getting a low-buck AR down the line. You can just buy a decent 5.56 upper (instead of a complete P.O.S. AR) for $500 and be able to shoot .22 and .223. With a little shopping, you could probably get into a complete .22lr AR for around $500 AND it would be compatible with a .223 upper.

Tru rally - Sargent I think I'm going to go your route with the S&W - I hope they have some available at the gun show this weekend here in Portland - What's a fair price point for them at a show?

I'm not sure what they'll be going for at the show but I picked mine up at Fisherman at the start of September for $440. The one I bought was the A1 Style which has the flash suppressor up front (looks much nicer). Most of the stores in the area carried the Standard model which doesn't have the flash suppressor.

Ive had the S&W and the colt. Both were cheap plastic POS in my opinion. I eventually sold both of them and went back to a GSG-5.

With that said, if I do another 22 then I would do a dedicated 22 upper for my AR. Thats only because I have 2 GSG-5s now. ;)

Everybody has their own ideas, and their own favorites.

I just happen to be a Ruger fan, so I've got the SR22, and it's just plain great!

Underneath it all, it's a 10/22, so that's simplicity at it's best. It always works, and it's extremely accurate.

Didn't buy it for it's tactical-ness. Bought it because it's really handy. And, it's extremely stout.

Good luck with your decision.

WAYNO.

If you're going to build an AR lower then you should buy the Lakeside Machine Razorback. It's a belt fed upper that works great. I love Ruger 10/22 and have 8 in all different configurations but now that I have 2 Razorback Beltfed I don't shoot my 10/22 but I still shoot my 10/17m2. I liked the Razorback so much that I have a rifle version and a pistol version.
Lakeside Guns - Class III (Class 3) Tippmann Arms Rifles Shotguns Pistols Revolvers Accessories - (920) 897-4682
YouTube - Razorback 22LR Beltfed Conversion for the AR15 rifle

I'd rather have a complete .22lr rifle rather than just an upper but maybe that is just me.

Me too. That's the nice thing about a real AR22. You can buy the upper and lower (for around $500, as has been noted) then when you can swing another $500 you pick up a nice .223 upper (which can be fired with your real AR lower), then when you can swing another $300 you buy another real AR lower.:s0155:

Me too. That's the nice thing about a real AR22. You can buy the upper and lower (for around $500, as has been noted) then when you can swing another $500 you pick up a nice .223 upper (which can be fired with your real AR lower), then when you can swing another $300 you buy another real AR lower.:s0155:

So true; I ended up w/ several uppers for my Milspec lower. Push two pins and you go from blasting 5.56, to plinking with .22 LR, to hunting deer w/ 6.8SPC.

Have you thought about getting an AR-15 and a .22 conversion kit? I went this route with a CMMG bargin bin AR with their conversion kit, last I looked it was ~$600 for the AR and ~$100 for the .22 kit. It's been good so far for a weekend plinker.

Thats the way I went. Brownells had a SALE on just such a kit which also
included a couple of extra 25 round magazines.
Watch for the Sales!

YouTube - Brownells - CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews