JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hate to question a good thing, but I will. The AR's charging handle is almost ambidextrous except the latch on the left side. So you manly work it with the left hand which leaves your right hand on the grip near the trigger. I may be wrong but if I'm right would it not make more sense to put the forward assist on the left side as well? Think about, and share your thoughts if your bored.

Because if you do the misfire drill properly it needs to be on the right side since your left will be holding the rifle.

Plus depending who you ask the FA should never be used as all it does is make your problem worse in many cases.

Because if you do the misfire drill properly it needs to be on the right side since your left will be holding the rifle.

Plus depending who you ask the FA should never be used as all it does is make your problem worse in many cases.

Good point, you actuallly want to use the FA with your firing hand thumb, but as NwCID said, if you have to force the bolt forward, you have more issues. I only used mine once in combat and that was due to sand in the chamber during a sand storm. in a malfuction, bring the bolt back using the charging handle, lock it back, inspect the chamber, send the bolt home by slapin the bolt catch

I have never been showed the proper misfire drill. However in my experience using the FA is only necessary when loading the first round, usually after lazily or quietly working the charging handle. After a misfire, a failure to feed or failure to fire the FA would only be appropriate while looking at the ejection port due to possibly of making things worse (like you said). So I think it may work out on the left.

I tried to find a video of it but could not. Here is the proper way, Clearing Malfunctions in an AR-15, how? - The Firing Line Forums

When I was in the Army they taught for a miss fire to Slap, Slap, Slap the mag. Rack the action while tipping the ejection port down then rotating the rifle to look inside before dropping the bolt. Then Slap, Slap, Slap the FA with the heal of your hand. Then try to fire again. This should take about 2-3 seconds.

On any semi auto firearm you should NEVER ride your bolt forward. You pull to full extension then fully release to insure proper lock up. This is how they are designed to be used properly.

Here is a more up to date version for clearing any malfunction but takes longer then the misfire drill, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4EjHOcdck&feature=related

If I remember my history correctly, when the AR was first designed it did not have a forward assist. There was and still is a place to put your thumb on the bolt carrier (ejection port side) and that was supposed to be for pushing the bolt forward in the event a round was not properly chambered. The thought was that if something was fouled up inside the chamber the last thing you wanted to do was jam it further in. Anybody else remember something like this. Keys.

I'm fairly certain that they were designed for strong hand charging, as were all military bolt action rifles and i think all other military long arms throughout history. The original manual said to charge the rifle with your trigger hand, placing your index finger on the left side and middle finger on the right and pulling straight back. This is how I was taught in army basic training 10 years ago, and is how I have always charged my weapon.

This policy has changed some in recent years, and most tactical combat shooters in and out of the military will teach using the non-firing hand to charge the weapon, only grabbing the closest side of the charging handle. I believe this has only been possible with newer, lightweight rifles where it is much more possible to keep the weapon at your shoulder holding it from the pistol grip, like most pistols and SMGs. Many right-handed bolt-gun shooters are using left-handed rifles these days for the same reason; It allows you to keep your firing finger in place and sights on target.

I still find it more comfortable to charge with my right hand and then return to a firing position. I wind up smacking myself in the face every time I try it the new way. I'm sure that I could train myself out of it if I needed to. (Like if there was a drill sergeant with half his hat up my nose threatening all-night CQ duty.)

so, I'm a dinosaur and was taught the manual of arms when Nixon was president. Never used my thumb on a charging handle. Used fore finger and middle finger.

As for the forward assist, never had to use it...but I was a cold warrior and didn't ever see combat in my entire career.

With the AR platform, the ONLY way you should slide the bolt forward is with the bolt release on the left-hand side of the rifle. EVER. The charging handle is a really flimsy piece of aluminum that WILL bed, if you "rack and release" more than once in a while. They are notorious for doing so.

To pull the bolt back, brace the rifle against your torso or upper leg or the ground (depending on your position) holding the rifle with your LEFT hand, pull the charging handle ALL THE WAY back with your RIGHT hand, while simultaneously pushing the bolt catch/release DOWN with your LEFT thumb. -Lefties may do this differently.

In a R/L situation you never need to do this except to load the first mag and chamber a round or to clear a malfunction.

For type one and two malfunctions, (FTF and FTE) you want to slam the magazine into the mag well to make sure it's seated, and then grab the charging handle, pull back all the way ONCE and then release it. That's the only time you want to let that handle slide forward of it's own accord.

I've seen a lot of people bend their charging handles by routinely loading via a slam of the charging handle.

I hate to question a good thing, but I will. The AR's charging handle is almost ambidextrous except the latch on the left side. So you manly work it with the left hand which leaves your right hand on the grip near the trigger. I may be wrong but if I'm right would it not make more sense to put the forward assist on the left side as well? Think about, and share your thoughts if your bored.

Here is a link that gives another take on the FA.

The AR Gas Vent replacing the Forward Assist: Not a Problem - AR15.Com Mobile

You might have to cut and paste it into your browser.

I tried to find a video of it but could not. Here is the proper way, Clearing Malfunctions in an AR-15, how? - The Firing Line Forums

When I was in the Army they taught for a miss fire to Slap, Slap, Slap the mag. Rack the action while tipping the ejection port down then rotating the rifle to look inside before dropping the bolt. Then Slap, Slap, Slap the FA with the heal of your hand. Then try to fire again. This should take about 2-3 seconds.

On any semi auto firearm you should NEVER ride your bolt forward. You pull to full extension then fully release to insure proper lock up. This is how they are designed to be used properly.

Here is a more up to date version for clearing any malfunction but takes longer then the misfire drill, Double Feed Malfunction - YouTube

Good advice, and great video!
Thanks NWCID

Mike

Just remember SPORTS... its simple

Slap (the bottom of the mag)
Pull (the charging handle)
Observe (the chamber)
Release (the charging handle)
Tap (the forward assist)
Squeeze (the trigger)

if the AR does not fire after that something is wrong with your rifle. Check for a double feed by first removing the mag, pull the charging handle, observe, clear any obstructions, reload and fire.
if after all that it still does not fire, take it in for repairs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top