JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I built an AR pistol using a Phase 5 buffer tube. I didn't go with a Sig brace because "call me paranoid" but I figured once the ATF found out how they were really used they would change their ruling. Anyway, I love my pistol but I really would like an extra 2" (1.5" but can she really tell?) - THE GUN SILLY
Is there a law that limits the length of a buffer tube before the pistol becomes an SBR?

<broken link removed>

Hey man I am in Auburn and have one. If you want to check it out your welcome to stop by. I have the Odinworks, the KAK and another generic extra long pistol brace so you could kind of get an idea of the differences.

Will do! Where do I go? Feel free to start a conversation if you don't want god & everyone else to know. Auburn is just down the hill and I need to take the Goldwing out to charge the battery:cool:

I use an A1- A2 rifle buffer tube it is 10 in long the kak is 9 and most pistol are 7. If you use the A2 buffer tube you will need a A2 buffer and spring to make it work correctly. I also have the KAK on a couple pistols as well. ON the A2 tube some folks drill out the stock mounting hole so a stock can not be mounted but is not required.

I use an A1- A2 rifle buffer tube it is 10 in long the kak is 9 and most pistol are 7. If you use the A2 buffer tube you will need a A2 buffer and spring to make it work correctly. I also have the KAK on a couple pistols as well. ON the A2 tube some folks drill out the stock mounting hole so a stock can not be mounted but is not required.

I've heard some say that putting a rifle tube on a pistol is not a good idea from a legal perspective. Is that true? I don't think I've heard of anyone getting in trouble over it, but I like to be careful.

Lots of guys do it, I wouldn't. It's a rifle part. I have even seen guys run carbine tubes wrapped in para cord. Worse yet. There is a 99.9% chance that you would never get hassled, but I have no interest in being the one guy that gets caught.

I can't find the link right now but the common phrase used to define pistol vs rifle/SBR is "readily able to accept a stock". Here are several ATF letters talking about it,

The intent of how you use something is more the issue with the ATFE. If you want to say a buffer tube is a rifle part then I could also say your upper receiver is a rifle part, your forward assist is a rifle part your bolt and bolt carrier are rifle parts because nowhere on them do they say pistol and they are the same parts but yet when you purchase them you purchased them to build a pistol.
As long as I can not quickly add a stock to a buffer tube it is just a buffer tube. This is true with the new ATFE letter on the sig brace, the brace is leagle as long as your intent is to build a pistol and not shoulder it.
This is also why many drill out the bolt hole to mount a stock. Just to cover their azz.

I all ready had the parts and it seems to shoot and cycle better than with the standard pistol tubes as well as the KAK pistol tube. Both are basically carbine tubes machined round. I had to go to H2 buffers to make them shoot as well. I am Running BCM 11.5 uppers on all three pistol I have. Some say they over gas and that is why the H2 buffer is needed.

Rifle compared to a pistol with A1 buffer tube

AR pistol with KAK tube and sig brace

AR pistol with A1 buffer with 3/4in pipe insulation on it for protection

20141104_114539-1_zps6b060446.jpg ARPISTOL4_zpsd7a67ada.jpg ARPISTOL3_zps38b5daa3.jpg

The ATF is not known for being rational. And actually my lowers are stamped "pistol" and I find some piece of mind knowing at least If I got hauled to court I can say "look, This is a part for a pistol not a rifle. The lower is clearly marked pistol. The ATF's claim that this is a unregistered SBR just because someone saw me put it close to my shoulder is ludicrous."

Where as if your in court and the same argument is made the prosecution is going to say " We have a witness that saw the defendant shoot the firearm from his shoulder, the part attached to the back of the receiver is a rifle part, By simply putting an oversize screw in this drilled out hole it readily accepts a rifle stock, its clear that this is in fact a unregistered short barrel rifle"

Like I said I dont think the chance of problems is high. maybe one out of 1,000,000 people would ever be in a situation where they would end up in court having to defend their actions. I am just not going to be that guy. Its not worth it. Why not just use the pistol part. Personally I want nothing in my possession that is questionable. No "solvent traps" no M16 parts laying around. I wont even have a pistol upper laying around that is not mated to a lower marked pistol. I actually have a stripped lower marked pistol in the safe just in case for some reason I had a short barrel laying around it could not be construed as a SBR part. I have a buddy who did two years in the federal pen on firearms charges. It ruined his life. The ATF does act or behave logically. Your talking about a origination that declared a shoe string to be a machine gun and just a few years ago sent a guy to prison for a semi auto AR that malfunctioned and fired three rounds once in a while when you pulled the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top