JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been selling off photo and gun gear the last couple weeks, and managed to purchase a nice new AR. GTS Lower, BCM Middy upper, EMOD stock, MBUS, etc.

Still got a quite a few things to purchase, including mags, sling, vfg, ammo, etc. But the big dilemma right now is the optics decision.

Option 1:
I already have a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with M1 turrets (added @ Leupolds Custom Shop), so option 1 would be to purchase a mount for the scope, and put it on this rifle. Probably a LT-135. Ofcourse, that's a pretty big scope for this little rifle, and wouldn't exactly be great choice for home defense, and probably a bit limiting if I actually ever made it out to a practical rifle match.

Options 2-4 involve selling the scope and getting either:

Option 2: Eotech XPS2 model

Option 3: Aimpoint Comp3ml

Option 4: Smaller Leupold scope (Mark AR 1.5-4)

For reference regarding the size of the current scope and AR:

4286478400_d3ac274406.jpg

What do you guys think?

My vote goes to the Aimpoint. It is a fast and effective optic. Most of the models they make would be a good choice as well. Unless you are punching paper or rodents, magnification will only slow you down.

it looks from the picture that you have a flip up rear sight. given that you should definantly go for the aimpoint. that way if your zero power optics go down you have iron sights to back them up without removing anything. The Eotech is also a good choice although it is a very busy optic.

You have a great scope, but it may not be the best choice on your AR for home defense or for a practical rifle match.

Your Option 4 works best for me. Leopold Mark AR 1.5-4 has good reviews and is perfect for an AR-15.

If you can go shooting with others that have a variety of sight set-ups, and try theirs, it might give you a better idea of what works best for you. Good luck.

the 1.5-4 is what I use and I will never go back to an aimpoint. The 1.5 is just as fast as 1x and the option of 4x gives a huge advantage at practical rifle and similar matches where its very common to shoot 200-300+ yards. Guys will tell you that an aimpoint is accurate at 200-300 yds but I see them ( and have experienced myself) that its very hard to do well at that distance since the dot is often larger than the target. 1.5-4 works for HD, varmit/paper, matches and if its set up right you can even use your back up sights.

I use a 1-4x24 Burris XTR (similar in concept with the Leupold, but with a better reticle). It works for me. I have also used rifle scopes and EoTechs. The XTR is my favorite so far, but I am still wanting to try an ACOG.

When you're choosing optics, the choice really depends on what you're doing.

If it's all home defense / CQB stuff I'd be happy with either the EOTech or an Aimpoint Micro T-1. -The Aimpoint on a LaRue mount really gives a nice sight picture and allows co-witness.

The tube optics are better for longer distance stuff, but they narrow your field of vision for close work and can lead to tunnel vision in a home defense scenario.

When you're choosing optics, the choice really depends on what you're doing.

If it's all home defense / CQB stuff I'd be happy with either the EOTech or an Aimpoint Micro T-1. -The Aimpoint on a LaRue mount really gives a nice sight picture and allows co-witness.

The tube optics are better for longer distance stuff, but they narrow your field of vision for close work and can lead to tunnel vision in a home defense scenario.

Oh, I know all that. I just can't decide the purpose of this rifle yet. :D If it was a stainless barrel, I think I would keep the scope, and have a medium range precision rifle. Haven't shot this rifle yet, so I don't know if it's worth scoping.

If I knew I was going to be doing some serious carbine classes, I know I would get a RDS, but I don't see that in the cards.

ETA: I think I made my decision. I don't think the scope fits with this rifle setup. So off to the classifieds it goes!

Inside 125 meters, EOTech. Inside 500 meters, I LOVE my ACOG. Past that, and you're pushing the functional envelope of the set up you've got.

Just my opinion.

Inside 125 meters, EOTech. Inside 500 meters, I LOVE my ACOG. Past that, and you're pushing the functional envelope of the set up you've got.

Just my opinion.

Can't afford the ACOG, unfortunately. :(

I sold off the scope, and another rifle, so I have a bit of cash on hand, enough for one of the new EOtech XPS2 models, or a Aimpoint Comp3L (maybe).

I wish I could afford an ACOG, just isn't in the cards right now, otherwise I would go that route.

Been selling off photo and gun gear the last couple weeks, and managed to purchase a nice new AR. GTS Lower, BCM Middy upper, EMOD stock, MBUS, etc.

Option 3: Aimpoint Comp3ml

Option 4: Smaller Leupold scope (Mark AR 1.5-4)

What do you guys think?

I have option 3 Comp ML3 and am very happy with it, no complaints with it at all...BUT some magnification would be nice

I keep peeking at this thread, I need guess I need more OT at work

I've had the Trijicon Reflex II, Aimpoint and the Eotech. Still have the Eotech because it suits me the best but there were no major negatives with the others. I would stay away the from the shorter Eotech just because of battery life. It is sexier than the longer version but bat's are more readily available and last longer.

Here is a pic when the rifle looked nice and new.....

+1 to the Mark AR as a good bang for the buck. Also look at Bushnells Holosight. It's made by L3, and is basically a less fully featured and less ruggedized version of their EOTech 552. Though it isn't as rugged I have a buddy with one on his personal AR that has had no trouble with it. And while we try not to abuse them, we aren't known for coddling our tools. I've seen them between $250 and $300. That may open up some budget for other things.

My choice for "overall" use is the Eotec. And like Miles....I went with the AA battery vs the lithiums. Battery cost and availability...seemed a no-brainer.
On my own midlength flat top...I went with GGG flip sights and the Eotec 512. Now for the real plus to this system. I got the detachable mounts from GGG for the Eotec and a scope so I swap out in a few seconds.
Best of all.......they really do hold zero when removed and put on!!

Thanks for the input guys. I've been fortunate to sell off a fair amount of firearms & photo gear, enough to have about $1,250 set aside. With that, I need mags, sling, optic, ammo, and spare parts, if possible.

The reason I am looking as the XPS model of the EOtech, is that the transverse mounted battery compartment is supposed to have fixed the issues with the older EOtechs.

I'm easily swayed by photos though, so keep posting them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top