JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To keep it brief, I saw the M&P 15 pistol and I really like the way it looks BUT I want to build one, not buy one. The issue I'm having is, I have no idea what length the handguard is and would like someone with more experience to help me out. Their website says a 7.5" barrel and I THINK the handguard will be an 8" to have the muzzle device sticking partway out. But might be a 7.5? I know I'm asking about a pistol, however it's an AR type, so I felt like posting in semi-auto rifles might get better results. Same idea could easily apply to a rifle as well. Picture for reference.

1622028452988.png

To keep it brief, I saw the M&P 15 pistol and I really like the way it looks BUT I want to build one, not buy one. The issue I'm having is, I have no idea what length the handguard is and would like someone with more experience to help me out. Their website says a 7.5" barrel and I THINK the handguard will be an 8" to have the muzzle device sticking partway out. But might be a 7.5? I know I'm asking about a pistol, however it's an AR type, so I felt like posting in semi-auto rifles might get better results. Same idea could easily apply to a rifle as well. Picture for reference.

View attachment 892439
Get the barrel length and muzzle device you want and then order the handguard that is the correct length.

I would advise against extending the handguard past the end of the barrel. Like others have stated - buy your barrel and muzzle device and then determine the length you want for a handguard. Much less headache that way.

If you want to know how long that particular one is just count the pic slots and do the math.

1622166548478.png

Personally get the barrel. muzzle device and the barrel shroud thing that flips up at the same time so you can see for yourself how it looks/feels. And, yeah, any compensator needs to clear hand guard. Also, short barrel = more heat = add an AFG. Can't use VG's on an AR pistol unless it's NFA

I have a couple SBR's. One has an 8" barrel and the other is 8.5". Both have KAK flash cans and 10" handguards installed. Running the 10" handguard gives me just a little bit more real estate vs a 7" or 8" handguard.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Looks like a linear comp is a way to prevent handguard malfunctions/explosions. Perusing other forums suggests to get that look, I should install a handguard 1/2" shorter than the barrel.

AR 22 barrels are a little shorter than regular AR15 barrels due to the bolt face differences. A 7.5" 556 barrel is actually closer to 8.5" in total length due to the barrel extension. So a 7" handguard should cover completely or allow the threads to protrude. A 7.5 inch 22lr barrel usually is pretty close to exactly 7.5" in total length. So 1.5" or so of it is in the receiver and maybe 5-6" protrude out the other end. The same 7" rail will likely cover the barrel completely and have 1-1.5" of space between the end of the barrel and the end of the rail.

You can shoot 22 with the barrel inside a hand guard, it doesn't have the same pressures like 556, you will not split your hand guard like the pictures above. That doesn't mean you won't get gasses or bullet flakes hitting the inner rail or hand.

I would likely get the barrel and rail 1st. Then after having both of those, pick the linear comp length that gets the desired look, whether flush or a bit poking out.

I've got the lower parts, barrel, BCG and upper on the way. Can't decide on gas block. I like the idea of getting it put together, THEN get the handguard/muzzle device I like. This is gonna be fun

I've got the lower parts, barrel, BCG and upper on the way. Can't decide on gas block. I like the idea of getting it put together, THEN get the handguard/muzzle device I like. This is gonna be fun
Disregard the parts I brought up about 22lr barrels, for some reason I saw your original post and thought you were trying to put together a 15/22 pistol. I definitely derped that one!

looks like a 8-1/2" or 9" hand guard on the pistol. But I agree with the other that you should put it all together and then pick out the handguard that you like.

And the linear comp is a great decision. I like mine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top