Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR front guard removel

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jasparseed1@yahoo.com, Dec 21, 2014.

1. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

jasparseed1@yahoo.com Lebanon Member

Maybe I'm an Idiot, I bought a Sig Sauer M400 and it has a front barrel guard, I have a tool to hole the
    round ring down but I can not seem to get it to come into (at least that is what I thought it should do) I want
    to put some hardware on the bottom of it but need it off, guys I'm a first time owner of an AR and don't
    really know anything about it so be gentle

2. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That is sometimes a 2 person job. Set your wrench to pull down the delta ring sometimes with a first time removal it can be hard to push down all the way. While holding it down hard have the second person pry them apart. You should be able to get them apart by hand.

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Pry the top section off first, then the bottom.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, those delta-rings can be pretty stiff and a PITA to deal with. If you think that the tapered (slightly conical) ring is tough, you should try the old A-1 straight-side rings with the L/R "tri-angle" hand guards... SLIPPERY!

Jasparseed, do yourself a BIG favour and go to YouTube and do a search for "AR-15 hand guard removal". There are helpful videos for every size, shape, and configuration of hand guard removals, upgrades, and modifications that you can zero in on for you specific kit. It'll be much better than trying to interpret anonymous guys trying to interpret what you are saying without actually seeing what your dealing with.

Hope that helps! :)

3MTA3 and mjbskwim like this.
  5. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Very valid points. You tube has videos of almost any kind of firearms repair and disassembly

mjbskwim, Caveman Jim and Stomper like this.
  6. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

7. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the info will give it another try.....Thanks again

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

You don't need any tools if you're stubborn enough. :D After you've removed the forend one time, it loosens up a bit and will be lot easier to retract the next time. The delta ring spring is really strong so it needs to be muscled around and wiggled a bit to get it all the way back the first time. You may have to spend a few minutes persuading it. Once you've got the delta ring fully retracted, you may be tempted to pry the halves of the forend apart with a screwdriver, but you risk marring it. I've found that a good smack or two with the heal of your hand at the seam of a standard forend will part them if they're being stubborn. And of course the ring may not want to go all the way forward when you reassemble the gun. If so it's the same deal as before - wiggle it around, retract it a few times, muscle it up into position and smack the forend once or twice. I've also found that a few judiciously applied expletives will greatly enhance the experience. ;) If partway through you notice a slight dampness on your forehead, it's really fairly normal: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flopsweat

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Expletives are the lube of field stripping and cleaning of your weapons. ;)

2gr8dgs and Garg like this.
  10. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy Eugene,OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you want to take a road trip, I will help you do it. I'm in the Eugene area. Christmas sale at Cabelas is a good reason for said trip.:)

11. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

Listened to all of the info - and with the help of my Son bam it came off, so all is good and thanks to all the gave advice....Ray

12. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

You have a son named Bam too? :D

Stomper likes this.
  13. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy Eugene,OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Always wished I named my son Bam.:cool:

Flopsweat likes this.
  14. FA9

FA9 Hillsburrito, ORgun Well-Known Member

If all else fails, get a BFH.

808hondacrguy likes this.
  15. countryboy865

countryboy865 Hillsboro Member

Just buy a handguard removal tool for cheap. I did and its worth its weight in gold.