JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey NWFA. So I just finished up a couple of my 80% lowers and it's now time to start the build. This is my first time owning a AR sport rifle and my problem is I can't seem to find a buttstock that's long enough for my long arms. Every AR I pick up to shoot I feel I need a few more inches in length on the extendable buttstock. Online no one states the dimensions of the buttstock .What's my options ? Commerical or Mil spec ? Thanks guys.

Well there goes the budget on these builds. Lol. I still want the adjustable style , but unique info on the A5 system with the benefits of a few extra (longer) notches on adjustability.Thanks titsonritz . Some awesome knowledge here !!!

Have you considered a fixed rifle stock instead of a carbine collapsible stock?

Personally if I was going to have a "spacer" between the receiver and receiver extension I'd make it a Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter.

Something else you might want to consider is a A5 system coupled with a <broken link removed> like the ACS, ACS-L or something adjustable like the UBR or PRS all of which extend to just over a 15 1/2" LOP even without the A5, you could also add a <broken link removed> if you still want an even longer LOP. So unless you're an orangutan you shouldn't have a problem finding a stock long enough for yourself.

I built my first AR (and am in the process of building my second) with the Magpul CTR lower parts kit from Palmetto State Armory:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/1718/

I'm 6' 5" tall with very long arms and it fits me just fine. Granted, the stock is at max extended length, but it fits me great! You can get a thicker butt pad for the CTR stock as well for some added length of pull if needed.

Another thing about the CTR, I like this better than many other adjustable stocks because in addition to the adjustment lever on the stock, it also has the lever that locks it in place so there's no wobble at all.

Also comes in black and OD Green.

i will look into it.. Budget isn't a big deal since I will own these firearms the rest of my life. (80% lowers and I'm a firm believer in not selling any firearm I own, you never know when you might need all of them at once. ;) )

I have freakishly long arms and use Vltor Imod halfway extended.
If you don't have a lot of trainning,(not range time) with this platform makes for a tough assessment of what your needs are. If you have a good shoulders rolled forward hold, it will add a few inches to you lop and might be all you need.

I don't have a lot of training, but have been sport shooting my whole life. For me if it doesn't feel comfortable physically and mentally , your not going to shoot your best.

I have freakishly long arms and use Vltor Imod halfway extended.
If you don't have a lot of trainning,(not range time) with this platform makes for a tough assessment of what your needs are. If you have a good shoulders rolled forward hold, it will add a few inches to you lop and might be all you need.

well without reading all the replies a without going to a expensive stock like a PRS that is a fixed stock with extenable butt and cheek rest

a commercial Car stock tube ( full length one since the do make mil spec commercial stocks ) will be your longest . don't be fool a commercial tube provided its not made from some rink a dink company will be strong enough unless your something you should not be with it like busting doors with it and and running it over with a truck and a mil spec stock will NOT give you the extra length you are looking for

a extra .55" with a added .5" butt pad might give him just enough length to be comfortable with.

have you ever actually broke or even read about a broken commercial buffer tube? they are made thicker to be durable enough .

How strong is strong enough does a buffer tube really need to go to 11

is?tQ0JyrFoP9w-yWlEMWbGtBqHDfFmd0W7m4UKotrRTUs&height=164.jpg

is?tQ0JyrFoP9w-yWlEMWbGtBqHDfFmd0W7m4UKotrRTUs&height=164.jpg

Kinda have to agree , when I have to spend $60-$70 dollars for a .60 butt pad extender, why not go with the usually thicker material commercial tube? I had no idea the commercial tube is alittle long. I'm about 99.9999999 percent sure I won't be doing any no knock door blasting. :eek:

I really like the look and function of the folding extension and getting the extra length is awesome for my needs. Then maybe I don't need to shell out more for a buttstock ?

Good stuff here guys , really learning a lot. Thank you

I was suggesting the commercial tube if going with a collapsable

and titsonritz was just measuring tubes and did not factor in the overall length as the commecial stocks tend to be longer as well
so he made me break out the measuring tape

the overall length commercial M4 stock without a butt pad is a over 1 inch longer than a mil spec M4 stock you can buy a butt pad or one of those stock like from CAA that will give another .5-.75" in length

a buttpad extension for a commercial stock is $7-25 you can get a limb saver on amazon for $24 for some extra cushin for the pushin

I wasn't even referring to strength but since you brought it up, milspec RE are 7075T6 hammer-drawn 1.145" dia. tubes have more thread engagement area, and a breaking strength of 75 lbs.

Commercial 1.17" tubes are 6061T6 alloy, are lathe turned and milled, with a welded end, have less thread engagement area, and break at approx 45 lbs. The problem with them is that the threaded section is also 1.170, so the threads are not cut to full "height" and do not fully engage the threads in the receiver. When commercial tubes fail, they often pull the threads out of the receiver.

It's probably adequate for most shooters, but that does not mean it is the same and if I need to "mortar" out a stuck casing I want all the strength I can get.

What I was primary getting at is there are some excellent stocks that are only available in milspec dimensions, such as the LMT/B5 SopMod and BCM Gunfighter to name a couple, that along with the A5 system is milspec dia. (plus being longer that a commercial RE) and will be the only RE I'll buy for builds. I certainly don't what both around just for logistics.

So between the softer material, less thread engagement and the inability to utilizes milspec stocks I can't see any reason why someone would intentionally choose a commercial RE over a milspec, it just doesn't pencil out.

No need to explain it to me. I have seen the discussions before it all comes down to Options.

OP should not stray away from commercial tubes based on them being a little stronger. what if he was presented with the perfect stock but it was commercial should he really pass on it in favor for paying more and perhaps not finding something he really likes based on a little added strength ?

and again does a buffer tube need to go to 11

The EMOD is even longer, the problem I have with Vltor stocks is the joint at the top with a proper cheek weld grab holds of my beard whiskers and tears them out (ouch)

Yeah that dam beard joint is no good at all, Vltor must be designed by women or children haha. I fixed that issue with a large surefire sticker, just replace it every 6 months. Yeah i have to many lights..I need to step upto a chunk of gorilla tape because well, it makes my AR look like a freaking country club warrior lol.
Because of budget the guys here are spot on, fully extended with a limbsaver. Extra bonus grip from the limbsaver.
Otherwise the LAW TAC folder idea would be the ticket. The new Gen 3 is super streamlined vs the 2.
Let us know what you figure out, we love to see what works and doesn't work for out mental database:)

I'm looking forward to seeing what works, ( Mental ). Also excited about the folding option, fits more in the pelican case ;)

Yeah that dam beard joint is no good at all, Vltor must be designed by women or children haha. I fixed that issue with a large surefire sticker, just replace it every 6 months. Yeah i have to many lights..I need to step upto a chunk of gorilla tape because well, it makes my AR look like a freaking country club warrior lol.
Because of budget the guys here are spot on, fully extended with a limbsaver. Extra bonus grip from the limbsaver.
Otherwise the LAW TAC folder idea would be the ticket. The new Gen 3 is super streamlined vs the 2.
Let us know what you figure out, we love to see what works and doesn't work for out mental database:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top