JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm currently building an AR and am having difficulty finding a good quality barrel in either 18 or 20". I came across a brand called Ballistic Advantage. Anyone every heard of these and if so, how is the quality and accuracy. They are reasonably priced, but, I don't want to get something of questionable quality. Appreciate any help.

How accurate do you want to be? What is the intended purpose of the rifle you are building?

The FN barrel at 180 is a great deal but it is a standard button-rifled chrome-lined barrel, so the accuracy expectations would not be better than the BA options. The hammer forged FNs have more of a reputation for accuracy.

White Oak Armament makes very accurate stainless barrels which are priced reasonably, but if 2 MOA is fine, then no need for a WOA.

I have a couple new DPMS barrels they were putting on their TPR rifles. It is a 416 stainless bead blasted finish, 1/9 twist, 20" heavy profile. Reviews were pretty good. Pm if interested.

If I was wanting an SPR barrel, that would be my top pick, alongside a CLE... I wonder what OP's budget is...
Thanks for all the input. I'm building for a friend of mine. He has a $1k-ish budget. I had ordered a LaRue barrel originally since I thought they were in stock. I called to change my order from a 20" to an 18". That's when they told me it was a 4-6 month wait for either of those barrels. No indication they were backordered and no email stating same. I immediately cancelled the order. I'm looking for an 18" non-chrome lined. Rifle will be used for small predator control. And, the barrel has to be blued and/or black. I'm leaning toward a coated SS but at this point, I'll take pretty much anything that is reasonable and accurate.

I have PSA, Bison Armory, Olympic Arms (now defunct), Bear Creek Arsenal (whoever makes those), Wilson Arms (CT), Wilson Combat, Precision Reflex (whoever makes those), Ballistic Advantage and DPMS. All are suitable. The DPMS and PSA are the least accurate, meaning they fare finicky about the ammo fed to them. The Bear Creek had to be sent back when received because the chamber look like it was made with a tap, not a reamer. The replacement is very good.
If I had a $1K budget for an AR15, I'd choose Faxon, Wilson Combat, Wilson Arms, Bison Armory, JP Rifles, Lijla, Pac-Nor or Criterion.
A few of those, if you outfit it with premium handguard, bolt and trigger, will push you toward $1,500 for your build.

White Oak Armament makes very accurate stainless barrels which are priced reasonably, but if 2 MOA is fine, then no need for a WOA.
The WOA barrels are very popular with many top Highpower Rifle "Across the Corse" 200/300/600 yards competition shooters.
These barrels are capable of sub MOA groups out to 600 yards. I have several uppers with these barrels and have worn out several WOA barrels. These are 20 inch barrels for 'Service Rifle' class. At $225 it is a great deal. Only problem with them
is usually takes a couple months to get.
Many different barrels to choose from.

Rainer Arms gives you a 90 day 100% money back guarantee on their barrels.
My very first AR was with one of their 8-1/2" barrels in .300 Blackout for an SBR build that has functioned perfectly.

Rainer Arms gives you a 90 day 100% money back guarantee on their barrels.
My very first AR was with one of their 8-1/2" barrels in .300 Blackout for an SBR build that has functioned perfectly.

I have a RA barrel on my LR 308 and it's awesome. However, their pricing is a little on the high side for the budget. I think I've found a place with some decent quality barrels within the build budget. Thanks for the advice, though.

The WOA barrels are very popular with many top Highpower Rifle "Across the Corse" 200/300/600 yards competition shooters.
These barrels are capable of sub MOA groups out to 600 yards. I have several uppers with these barrels and have worn out several WOA barrels. These are 20 inch barrels for 'Service Rifle' class. At $225 it is a great deal. Only problem with them
is usually takes a couple months to get.
Many different barrels to choose from.
Would be great if they weren't all backordered about 16 weeks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top