JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, building an AR10 on Aero recievers and can't decide what barrel and BCG to buy. Was looking at aero or BA stainless steel fluted and same bolt. Also read about faxon match fluted. Then saw Rainier Arms Ultramatch MOD2, and read good things about it.
Looking for something light and preferably stainless steel 18" 308win and matching bcg. Was looking at lantac, faxon, aero and more and can't decide 😫. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Im planning on an either an 18" BA hanson, or a 20" fluted myself.
Another good option i saw looking around is wilson combat. Theyre on sale right now for a little under $300 if i remember correctly.
$450 for a rainier is a little steep for me, but ive heard nothing but good anout those.

I have resisted going to AR for .308 (M1A fan) and have been surprised at how accurate low priced PSA uppers have been.

That said, Found these videos interesting and you get to see how his setup groups different bullets and powders.

Last Edited:
Hi all, building an AR10 on Aero recievers and can't decide what barrel and BCG to buy. Was looking at aero or BA stainless steel fluted and same bolt. Also read about faxon match fluted. Then saw Rainier Arms Ultramatch MOD2, and read good things about it.
Looking for something light and preferably stainless steel 18" 308win and matching bcg. Was looking at lantac, faxon, aero and more and can't decide 😫. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
This barrel would fit the bill and is $180 shipped with code MOBILE20 right now plus you can get a free gas tube.

And a great way to help fight M114

Yessir! Thanks for posting the link I was too lazy to pull up earlier.

Last Edited:
Wilson Combat barrels : https://shopwilsoncombat.com/308-WIN-_-762-NATO-Barrels/products/739/

I've had four AR10 bolts. The last one I bought was a JP, (full mass) and from now on, they will be the only ones I buy. That said, any will work.
Adjustable gas block is not necessary, and the design of the adjustment port makes all the difference in how well it functions.

Edit to add, call ahead to Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard, Tick-Licker in Salem, or Curt's on McGloughlin and see if they have bolts or barrels in stock. All three places are excellent. Coat of Arms in Keizer is great too, but in my experience, he doesn't have the stock the other three often do.

Wilson Combat barrels : https://shopwilsoncombat.com/308-WIN-_-762-NATO-Barrels/products/739/

I've had four AR10 bolts. The last one I bought was a JP, (full mass) and from now on, they will be the only ones I buy. That said, any will work.
Adjustable gas block is not necessary, and the design of the adjustment port makes all the difference in how well it functions.

Edit to add, call ahead to Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard, Tick-Licker in Salem, or Curt's on McGloughlin and see if they have bolts or barrels in stock. All three places are excellent. Coat of Arms in Keizer is great too, but in my experience, he doesn't have the stock the other three often do.
I was looking at JP bolts, but the price is twice than other brands. Does it worth it? It's my first AR10 and I want it to be good, but... you know, looking for compromise.

My AP AR10 runs a Rainier Ultramatch barrel, and an AP bolt carrier assembly. Very pleased with the performance, but the barrel is not what I'd call 'light'. Great shooter, however...

Also wondering what part more crucial BCG or barrel? Should I spend more on the barrel or BCG? Thanks.
Id say a close tie between barrel and bolt itself. I went cheap with aero for the whole bcg assembly. Gonna go middle of the road for barrel. (Ba hanson/wilson). I dont shoot enough to spend rainier+ $

I was looking at JP bolts, but the price is twice than other brands. Does it worth it? It's my first AR10 and I want it to be good, but... you know, looking for compromise.
I have JP, Brownell, and Aero bolts, and had a DPMS one.
All work. All will hold up.
When selecting my last bolt, I stopped by ORW and examined all the bolts they offered. Yeah, JP is expensive, but having designed and built extreme precision machinery for part of my career, I feel safe saying that I know the best machined part when I hold it. Bought it from ORW, at less $$$ than I could find online.
Again, all will do fine.
Avoid Chinesium junk (i.e. price much less than others)
I'm of the opinion, focus on barrel, bolt and trigger for smooth operation, and handguard for best ergonomics.
Be sure to buy a buffer, spring, tube and stock that are designed for AR10 use and work together with your bolt. This is where buying from local vendors will help immensely.
ORW may still, as a courtesy, check your headspace for you when you buy from them. This is a valuable safety-check service. Coat of Arms has also done that for me when I've purchased parts.

13" Criterion barrel with the M118 chamber and a BA carrier with a tool craft double ejector bolt. Those were the easy parts. Finding/tuning an adjustable gas block and finding the right buffer weight for pleasant suppressed shooting took time.

I have JP, Brownell, and Aero bolts, and had a DPMS one.
All work. All will hold up.
When selecting my last bolt, I stopped by ORW and examined all the bolts they offered. Yeah, JP is expensive, but having designed and built extreme precision machinery for part of my career, I feel safe saying that I know the best machined part when I hold it. Bought it from ORW, at less $$$ than I could find online.
Again, all will do fine.
Avoid Chinesium junk (i.e. price much less than others)
I'm of the opinion, focus on barrel, bolt and trigger for smooth operation, and handguard for best ergonomics.
Be sure to buy a buffer, spring, tube and stock that are designed for AR10 use and work together with your bolt. This is where buying from local vendors will help immensely.
ORW may still, as a courtesy, check your headspace for you when you buy from them. This is a valuable safety-check service. Coat of Arms has also done that for me when I've purchased parts.
What do you think of JP and headspaced bolt? I can add carrier for that and should be nice package.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/jp-ent..._code=J5-ATB-JPENT77-JPSM308-18L11R#qnaAnchor

I went with a criterion 20" barrel with a JP Rifles headspace matched bolt, and added the JP carrier separately.

It consistently got me sub MOA with IMI 175gr M118LR, which is cheaper than a lot of other match 308/7.62 NATO ammo. Handloading or buying some other factory ammo probably would have gotten even better.

It was a great combination that didn't require an adjustable gas block when paired with a rifle length buffer tube. I sold it last year because I couldn't find that ammo in stock, and really regret it. I'm rebuilding one now in the same configuration.

You asked about whether a BCG or barrel is a higher priority - I agree with other comments that they're roughly equally important, but the BCG is easier to upgrade later. If you're working in a tight budget, I would splurge on the barrel and go with an OEM BCG like Toolcraft for now, then upgrade the BCG later on. I think Criterion is a great value - more expensive than a lot of other options, but far below Bartlein or Kreiger territory without sacrificing quality. They're my goto barrel brand right now. And they have a good vet/mil discount if buy directly from them.

I'll also recommend a Criterion barrel with head-spaced bolt or BCG. If you do not see what you want/need in stock sign up for their email notification, I have bought a couple of their Core series barrels that way. My 13.9" with a BCM head-spaced bolt just showed up today.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top