JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,
I am building an AR 15 carbine or mid.
My question is choosing a mid length or carbine gas length barrel.
I will be using a Spike T2 buffer, carbine receiver extension mil spec.
I am most likely going 1:7 or 1:8 rifling with a DPMS muzzle Brake ( Miculek)
I will be going with a 16" barrel 556 cal
With a brake and heavy buffer , should I just stay carbine to ensure reliable function?
Will the mid length be reliable with a comp and heavy buffer as far as cycling goes.
Thank you for any advice.

I am not sure why you would want to base your gas system around your buffer weight. Pick which length gas system you want and use the buffer weight that words best with your setup. The weight of your bolt carrier will come into play here. Muzzle brakes will not.
You will probably be fine with a T2 (H2) but a standard or H buffer may be a better choice. From my experience they will all function just fine. As the heavier the weights get the slower and smoother it will cycle.

Thanks,
Not to confuse.
I am not basing it soley on the buffer i have.
Just thinking the mid length may not allow enough push backwards enough with a full auto bolt set up with heavy buffer and comp.
I am sure that I am over thinking the whole deal. Lol

Go for the mid and make it work from there is what I would do. If you are trying for a m4 clone you will need to go carbine gas to be true to life ......tuned right they shoot as soft as mid length

I would go with midlenght.

Why do you think the mid won't be reliable?

I have run a midlenght with a H2 and blue spring and it functions just fine.

A Spikes T2 is not a H or a H2 buffer, it is somewhere in between.

Why are you worried about a auto BCG, that is what they are designed to run. A rifle length has a heavier buffer and functions just fine.

Thanks guys , just was not familliar with mid. Been out of guns for 15 years .
Just trying to be best informed on choices is all.
Thanks for the replies.

Well what a pickle you are in! Too many choices, but hard to get it wrong. I bought a complete upper from Kurt's it is a flattop and has a Melonite barrel, but M4 profile. I think it is Mid length. I also bought a PWS Piston upper so I don't worry about the gas length at all. My other three AR's are Middies.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews