JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had my ar since 2017 it was an 80% lower that I milled out with no serial number on it and just realized now the laws changed and I am illegal unless I get a serial number put on. How do I get a S/N put on my lower and what options do I have? What will happen if I never get a S/N and just leave it in my safe?

You can keep an atom bomb and cocaine in your safe if you never get investigated for anything. But that's not going to feel great.

Sounds like there is a procedure that an FFL or gunsmith with engraving ability can perform using a 4473 background check. But I would call around and not just take the gun in with you until you find someone who is 100% on how to do it right, since what you have at the moment is not compliant.

However, it has been hard to find good information about this, and I hope someone else knows more.

You can keep an atom bomb and cocaine in your safe if you never get investigated for anything. But that's not going to feel great.

Sounds like there is a procedure that an FFL or gunsmith with engraving ability can perform using a 4473 background check. But I would call around and not just take the gun in with you until you find someone who is 100% on how to do it right, since what you have at the moment is not compliant.

However, it has been hard to find good information about this, and I hope someone else knows more.
Not gonna lie, if I had an atom bomb and cocaine in my safe, I'd pretty much be king the world and wouldn't give two chits about what anyone on some internet forum had to say about me. Come to think of it, I have had nuclear warheads locked up with me. Felt pretty freaking great!

I did see that also but how do they know it was manufactured after or before 2019
There are 2 parts to that question....
1) if you saved your purchase receipt for the 80% lower
2) if you didnt save the receipt... its up to the state to prove you bought it after 2019. How that works out for someone will be up to case law.

I did see that also but how do they know it was manufactured after or before 2019
They don't, but not knowing is not the same as having reason to believe. It's the same problem as the mag ban - they can't prosecute someone without evidence that they actually did break the law. Having something that was legal is more than enough evidence that your item is one of them.

(38) "Untraceable firearm" means any firearm manufactured after July 1, 2019, that is not an antique firearm and that cannot be traced by law enforcement by means of a serial number affixed to the firearm by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top