JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been slowly purchasing all the parts for my first AR-10 build. My last part was (<-- key word) scheduled to arrive today, so I woke up this morning and dove into unboxing and assembling everything. As I was researching how to attach the barrel (the part that was supposed to arrive today), I first heard about a reaction rod or receiver rod. I also first heard about the not necessarily necessary, but awfully nice to have, gas block punch set. Since I'm 99.99% sure this will be my only AR-10 build, does anyone near Kirkland have one or both of these tools that they'd let me use? I'll gladly throw in a case or beer, bag of good coffee beans, whistling lessons, or some nude photos of my dog.

I don't recommend a reaction rod for ar builds. They are the cause of many barrel index pins being sheared off. Instead a proper vise clamshell block or the type that holds the upper by the picatinny rail are better. If you were closer I could hook you up.

I have upper and lower vice blocks and a 9 piece roll pin punch set you could borrow if you want. I live in Mukilteo.
Thanks jamstaff. The idea of warping my upper by torquing on it now has me nervous because this is my first one. I have a Real Avid Master Wrench that has a spot for a torque wrench, so maybe I don't need to be concerned about that if I use an upper vice block?

I still don't have my barrel yet. UPS has been showing "Check back tomorrow" since Wed. I'm trying to give it until Monday because of the holidays.

Thanks jamstaff. The idea of warping my upper by torquing on it now has me nervous because this is my first one. I have a Real Avid Master Wrench that has a spot for a torque wrench, so maybe I don't need to be concerned about that if I use an upper vice block?

I still don't have my barrel yet. UPS has been showing "Check back tomorrow" since Wed. I'm trying to give it until Monday because of the holidays.

I also have a torque wrench as well. Welcome to borrow it, let me know.

Thanks again. If it's as cheap as a vice block, I may spring for one of those. A lot cheaper than $150-200 for a rod. I'll do some research between now and when my barrel gets in to see what I can learn

I got my torque wrench at harbor freight about $15, vice blocks on eBay $25, and the roll pin punch set also on eBay $12.

Can you find the AR10 clam shell vise blocks anymore? I was trying to find but they make one to you secure by the pivot pins on the upper but that looks it has the potential for a huge point of failure.

I have an AR15 vise block set that I bought from Brownells years ago and it works on both uppers carry handles and flat tops.

Can you find the AR10 clam shell vise blocks anymore? I was trying to find but they make one to you secure by the pivot pins on the upper but that looks it has the potential for a huge point of failure.

I have an AR15 vise block set that I bought from Brownells years ago and it works on both uppers carry handles and flat tops.
Is this what you mean?

Is this what you mean?

I guess I was looking for a more traditional clam shell vise block like so.

7B93089C-FB5D-4519-ACDC-911AB8561624.png

I have a torque wrench and a regular punch set. I don't know if a punch set works the same on a gas block as a roll pin punch set though.

There are three type of punches used on ARs...pin punches (used to remove roll pin and act as slave pins), roll pin holders sometimes called starter punches (used hold the roll pin straight and start the installation of the roll pin) and roll pin punches (used to drive the the pin in, they have a dome shape tip to prevent deformation of the roll pin)

There are three type of punches used on ARs...pin punches (used to remove roll pin and act as slave pins), roll pin holders sometimes called starter punches (used hold the roll pin straight and started the installation of the roll pin) and roll pin punches (used to drive the the pin in, they have a dome shape tip to prevent deformation of the roll pin)
Great info. I've only done Aero Precision ones that have an integrated trigger guard, use a screw in bolt catch pins, and assembled uppers, so maybe that's why I've gotten away with not using them

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top