JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's great. Unfortunately while upgrading the trigger group on my 10/22...I lost one of the cross-pins. That was the rifle I was going to bring.

If I can get my Marlin 795 sighted in tomorrow, I'll be there on Sunday.

Come anyway. We can help you get your 795 sighted in if it isn't already (many people show up with 10/22's in the packages and we get them dialed in) or we instructors all bring extra loaner rifles.

Yes sir. I'm sorry I won't be there, I have this .22 steel match next weekend that I have to go prep for :) There's a good crew out there that will take care of you.

Here's some pics from today

Stevenson, WA Oct 5 & 6 2013

Oh and that's my 12yo in the pink shooting 2MOA groups :D

IMAG0539_zps6d0c4840.jpg

Well, the range looks about a thousand times cleaner than the last time I was there...

It was great meeting you this weekend at the Stevenson range--hope to see you again at the next Appleseed. For those curious about the Stevenson range: Yes, it was shut down about a year ago due to a number of reasons, not the least of which was the abuse by a minority of shooters who did their best to turn it into a land fill with bullets flying in every direction. The range is now under the control of the Cascade Sportsmans Club Home which has installed a locked gate. The range is opened for club-sanctioned events, which normally require a club RSO present to ensure the event is safe and to prevent the gun trolls from trashing the place. If you would like to have access to this range, join the club (monthly meetings are at the Skamania PUD in Carson, WA, at 1900 on the first Wednesday of the month). The more members they have, the more chance they have to get more "official" control of the range and maybe invest in facilities such as porta-potties, covered shooting stations, etc. It's only $20/year.

Weekend weather looks nice *70. Come learn the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship.

How ??? From what I have read on the website you shoot at about 25 or 50 meters, and adjust the size of the target to replicate 2,3,and 400 meter targets.

So how does this teach marksmanship?? Just asking. What about bullet drop compensation and windage at 400 meters.

To me just shooting a smaller target seems to reinforce bad shooting tactics, unless I am missing something, I don't get it.

80% of rifle marksmanship can be learned at 25y with a .22. The "secret" is in MOA . A Minute Of Angle is a Minute Of Angle no matter what distance you are shooting at. If you can put down 4 MOA groups at 25y (1") then you can put down 4 MOA groups (8") at 200y. The fundamentals don't change.

To shoot well you must have a solid position (Steady Hold Factors), be relaxed (Natural Point Of Aim) and have excellent trigger & breath control (6 steps of firing a shot). These are the things that we teach.

By using a .22 for education you can shoot a whole lot of rounds for low cost (we typically shoot around 400 rounds in a weekend) and by being at 25y you can see your progress without a huge amount of time walking back and forth from a target 100, 200, 300 or 400 yards away.

The other 20% of marksmanship is dealing with recoil, percussion and actual distance (calculating distance, bullet drop, wind). We cover those in both lecture and demonstration (if possible) and we offer 'advanced' clinics where we shoot center fire at full distance targets.

I hesitate to use the term advanced because that implies that Appleseed® is basic and it is not. We give you all of the head knowledge necessary to engage a 20" (4MOA) target out to 500 yard or the rifleman's quarter mile.

There are 2 'flaws' in this approach. One is we typically teach 6 o'clock hold. 6 o'clock hold is arguably more accurate than center of target but doesn't work very well with scaled targets. The other is people can cheat a .22. We teach SHF's with center fire in mind and will coach shooters who have poor position that while it may work on the .22 they are shooting now if they were shooting a full caliber they would not be able to use that position.

The benefits of the .22 and 25y outweigh the 'flaws' IMO.

I encourage you to take the Rifleman's Challenge Rifleman's Challenge That 1" circle is 4MOA @25y. It's harder than it looks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top