JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm seriously considering going. Is anyone else planning on attending?

I've read most of the FAQ out there, but was wondering if most people camped and what the general vibe was like.

I plan to bring my 10/22 with a 1" swivel sling and at least 500 rounds. I've got a 4x32 scope (mostly) zeroed at 25 yards, so would prefer to leave that in place if possible.

Thanks

Is there a link or official site for this event? Would love to know more as it is only an hour drive from my house and would love to attend.

would it be better for me to remove my scope and install iron sites or would it matter? i would hate to reconfigure for nothing but if i learned more with just the sites then i could justify it. otherwise id rather keep the scope on. if kept on would the scope need drop down rectels in it for hold over? or is that cheating?

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11449.0 This link for April Castle Rock Appleseed..You may have to register, but it's painless...
would it be better for me to remove my scope and install iron sites or would it matter? i would hate to reconfigure for nothing but if i learned more with just the sites then i could justify it. otherwise id rather keep the scope on. if kept on would the scope need drop down reticles in it for hold over? or is that cheating?
As I said before Appleseed is a run what ya brung show.....It's not a competition (except with yourself)..It's a learning experience.....I suggest using what you are comfortable with...If you can't see the front sight or the target, a scope is pretty necessary ...You will learn BSZ (Battle sight zero) and come ups...so whatever rig that you have is gonna be okay...If you can run about 500 rds through it in a weekend...

The only thing, NO BI-PODS, unless a physical impairment necessitates one.....You will learn to shoot field positions so leave the bench and the bi-pod at home..You also might want to "strip" your rifle of any doo-dads and gew-gaws for tactical entry and such..Foregrips aren't you friend when trying to be a rifleman..neither are curb feelers, kickstands, cup holders or fuzzy dice...

Just a rifle, sight system, 500 rds. and a sling.. Oh and an extra mag or two If ya have 'em.
Plus what the link that New York put up says to bring (lunch, water, shooting mat, maybe some elbow pads, eyes and ears, a chair or stool if you want, etc)..It is two long days of shooting so practice getting down into prone and back up again...and bring aspirin....

See ya there....

We're still debating on if we'll attend both days.
Well then, argue harder.....That was a joke..
If you can only attend one day come on Sat...You will be exposed to most of the course....You'll probably only shoot less than 4-5 AQTs though...The AQT (Army Qualification test) is how we measure a shooters, well, qualification.....

Sunday is review...clarification..demonstration.. some very helpful drills... one on one instruction....and a whole lotta AQTs..with a couple of fun targets thrown in to shake things up (well actually settle things down) I hope to see ya there..(both days)....

I'm a thinkin pretty hard on going, but it conflicts with another out of state event I'm also thinkin about..... but, since that involves expensive travel and lodging, and I can drive to this one and crash in the van, this one is a few points higher on my likelimeter.

One question..... I've got a few options for a rifle, some are cheaper to shoot than others, but am wondering if it is possible/advisable to bring different guns... practice and try and qualify on different ones. Lots of the modern hunting rifles no longer come with iron sights, and I don't have scopes on some......

TioNico (Uncle Nick?) Crash in the van??? You're showin' yer age....Camping at Wades is pretty cool....If ya like hangin' out with a bunch of enthusiastic shooters...
One question..... I've got a few options for a rifle, some are cheaper to shoot than others, but am wondering if it is possible/advisable to bring different guns... practice and try and qualify on different ones. Lots of the modern hunting rifles no longer come with iron sights, and I don't have scopes on some......
A great approach is to plan on shootin' a .22 for Sat and part of Sun...Then bring out the Big Guns and put to practice what you've learned......But feel free to shoot the whole thing with what ever ya like....Sunday afternoon would be good for trying a couple or few different rifles...After you qualify, of course...

I coached a fella in Wyoming that shot the whole course with a scoped Rem.30-06...and a guy in Monroe that does it with a sweet M1-a Nat'l match.....Lots of .223s show up and some folks have done well with the 7.62x39 (as of last summer I don't think anyone has made rifleman with an AK-47 clone but some have done it with a ak-74 clone)...usually an SKS with tech sites and a trigger job...Quite a few Garands and Mosins and ust about everything in between........

So to summarize a long and rambling reply...Bring what you want to learn on (comfort, familiarity, ammo availability etc) and then feel free to wring out whatever you'd like....

Peep sights are good (the best) Scopes are good (even better if you have eyes like mine) Open sights can be challenging (challenge is good) Red dots can be even more challenging (especially if the dot is 4 MOA or bigger) but will work if the shooter works at it....

I hope to see ya there..(then we can finish discussin' why the border guards won't let a magazine back in the country)

Please let me clarify what I said about removing the foregrips, etc..

If you want to have any accessories on your rifle, that is fine....

I suggest removing the stuff because you can learn on a "stripped" rifle and then put the stuff back on as needed later... But you will expose your rifle and it's accessories to about 500 rds in inclement weather and conditions....

So how crucial is the 5 magazine requirement? Or how many rounds need to be loaded in magazines at any one time? Obviously it would depend upon the capacity of the magazines.

The courses of fire are 10 shots with one mag. change.

They are set up for 2 shots, a mag change and 8 shots..(The garand had some influence) but I shoot 5&5 with my bolties...
But the mag change is only on 2 of the 4 stages...2 mags will be enough (with no malfunctions) or one if that's all that you have..

Tube fed have their own rules and some folks have shot a rifleman's score with a single shot ...

Run what ya brung....(or borrow better from an instructor)

Wheeler, that's soundin more fun than sitting in a tin cigar for three hours, and hiding out in a smelly hotel room and conference hall. I am thinking to just get the audio recordings and call that one good.

Age, what age..... I hear that expression all the time, and from people of all ages. From about ten to about seventy.
Tionico = Uncle Nicky is just right. Picked that one up one time in Nicaragua. Fun.... though you should hear some folks butcher it.

So, guess I'll scope the new Ruger 10/22, and use that for most of it. I've got a few WW 11 and before vintage long guns, most in fine shape, and a couple of lever guns. Open sights on most of those. Might bring one or two of my high powered modren hunt guns, well scoped. Just to SEE what they can do. I can go out to two hundred yards here, once I get Barney to clear out some buckbrush and build a backstop. (don't tell the county.... they LIKE buckbrush, and like it better just where it is.)

We shall see what we shall see.

Tionico = Uncle Nicky is just right. Picked that one up one time in Nicaragua. Fun.... though you should hear some folks butcher it.

I realize that wasn't directed at me, but I was scratching my head for a bit.

I get it now. I used to work with some folks from Costa Rica, and recall them using "tico" to refer to themselves, and "nico" for their neighbors to the north.

I realize that wasn't directed at me, but I was scratching my head for a bit.

I get it now. I used to work with some folks from Costa Rica, and recall them using "tico" to refer to themselves, and "nico" for their neighbors to the north.

Uhh, sorry, not quite, but close.....

Costa Rican people refer to themselves, and are refered to as by others, "ticos". Note, my handle is TIO, not TICO.

Tio is the spanish word for "uncle" (tia being the word for "aunt).

Nicaragua is the country to the north of Costa Rica, and THEY are referred to as "nicas".

Nico is short fr "Nick", my given name.

Thus, "tionico" is "tio" (uncle) "nico" (Nick, or Nicky)

Uhh, sorry, not quite, but close.....

Costa Rican people refer to themselves, and are refered to as by others, "ticos". Note, my handle is TIO, not TICO.

Tio is the spanish word for "uncle" (tia being the word for "aunt).

Nicaragua is the country to the north of Costa Rica, and THEY are referred to as "nicas".

Yeah, I know "tio" means uncle. I'm not fluent in spanish, but wouldn't a male or group of males from Nicaragua be referred to as "nico(s)"?

Doesn't matter, nice to meet you :)

Yeah, I know "tio" means uncle. I'm not fluent in spanish, but wouldn't a male or group of males from Nicaragua be referred to as "nico(s)"?

Doesn't matter, nice to meet you :)

rightoh, it really DOESN"T matter.... unless you're down there. Even then, they are pretty forgiving and accomodating. Part of what I love about them.

I have spent considerable time in Nicaragua, and yes, a group of males are commonly referred to as "los nicas". Seems a contradiction, but they don't seem to notice. Nearly every time, though, they'll be pleased for your company, and the effort to relate to them.

Costariqueños, however, follow the "rules" as you would expect....
a bunch of guys are "ticos", a bunch of gals "ticas".

Mixed are "ticos".

I suspect is the difference comes in the fact that "nica" is merely a shortened form of the name of their native country.. "nicaragua". The long-form would be "nicaragüeño" ... rather a handful. Nica works as well.

Fun stuff.. makes me want to BE there right now, instead of wet, rainy, cold Washington......... sigh.

My Guate wife tells me Uncle Nicky would actually be "tionicito" :D

To get back on-topic though... I am intrigued by the whole Appleseed program and the April one might be a good one to try and make. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top