JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
China Hat Rd. Mapquest it. Drive out past Lost Tracks Golf Course. Go several miles past. Pass Horse Butte Rd. on the left. Take the next large road after that. Nice big cinder pit. Just explore out there, there's all kinds of good shooting...

I miss living out there. When I was the Commander of the Engineer unit out in Bend we had been approached to do some dozer work as a project. I had rotated out of command before we started work. I miss that part of the world.

SF-

I'm looking around Bend myself, I have been told to head east on 20 several miles there are areas. Took a drive out that way today and I think I found the general location people were talking about but I didn't feel very comfortable shooting around there because there were a lot of mountain bikers/horse riders in the area.

I keep hearing about the spots out on china hat but I have been kind of hesitant to head down that way because I've read a few things about illegal activities out that way.

After the wasted time today I think I'll give china hat a shot anyways.

-someone told me there is a pond on the way toward Alfalfa (on neff I think) but i'm not sure exactly where that is either.

There are 2 ranges east of town about 20 minutes. One is the cossa range and is private. It has multiple ranges for different types of shooting. It costs $100 a year to be a member for full access to range. Well worth it if you like to shoot in a controlled safe environment. There are several clubs there if you would like to get into a variety of competitive shooting. There is also a public 100 yd range right next door of the cosa range open all the time. Shooting out on China hat road is fine most of the time but sometimes you get some real idiots out there.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know there was a public range next to COSSA, I'll have to go check it out.

I really prefer to just shoot in public areas as I grew up shooting in the backyard on the farm. I wanted to find the closest places I could by Bend but I didn't know if China Hat was as bad as the papers make it out to be.

Thanks for the tips. We checked it out yesterday. I think we ended up at coyote butte but i'm not sure. It was probably a mile or two past the gas line, just before the pavement turns in to gravel. Safe enough area but some yahoos showed up on dirtbikes and thought it would be a good idea to stand on top of the butte while we were shooting into it so we didn't hang around long. I guess I need to get a pickup so I can check out other spots when one is crowded. I am driving an elantra so that doesn't help much.

If you guys were planning on heading out to the cleanup I am all for tagging along http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25908&highlight=cleanup

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top