JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple easy ones for you, but I promise they'll get harder.

Same rules as before. Again, let the young guys figure it out. Old guys, most of you know what this is.

Z

01011_BOSCH_POINTS.jpg

Yep but nowadays prefer pertronix but always have a back up set of these in the wings along with a specific file. Tell me again when their going to get harder.

Took me better part of three hours to change the plugs on my Hemi ( 16 plugs, with half of the driver side under the booster...sigh..)
My 64 Nova...complete tune up, including the above, in 20 minutes. There is something to be said about being able to diagnose with a test light. It will get electronic ignition eventually, but right now, " if it aint broke"
Took three stores to find a set though...:(

35 years ago this would have been a godsend... I think I gave up on bugs and all air cooled engines because I hated messing with points.

5 years ago I bit the bullet again and rebuilt another... And I can honestly say that a new Pertronix electronic 009 distributor was one of the main tipping points (lol) in making that decision.

fwiw - I have a half dozen dwell meters for sale. Just sayin'. :cool:

nbghy.jpg

I'd have to dig to find my strobe gun.
I miss the days when you could sit on the fender, stick your feet against the head, and get some real torque on it only to hear the exhaust bolts snap. Well, I don't miss the sound, but sure do miss having some open areas under the hood.
And, back to the OP, that little plastic cam follower. When they went from Micarta to plastic, the plastic wasn't so good on some. I don't know how many of those suckers I had to replace on my Rabbit. POS.

I'd have to dig to find my strobe gun.
I miss the days when you could sit on the fender, stick your feet against the head, and get some real torque on it only to hear the exhaust bolts snap. Well, I don't miss the sound, but sure do miss having some open areas under the hood.

I've still got mine from the early mid '70s. And two vehicles to use it on. I just have to find that damned little notch and get the bright white paint on it!

Oh at one time I was the tune-up king.

I still have everything everything required, all the way to the crayon to highlight the notch on the flywheel. But alas, it's likely I will never again perform such wonders. The modern marvels now run forever, all by themselves.:s0060:

35 years ago this would have been a godsend... I think I gave up on bugs and all air cooled engines because I hated messing with points.

5 years ago I bit the bullet again and rebuilt another... And I can honestly say that a new Pertronix electronic 009 distributor was one of the main tipping points (lol) in making that decision.

fwiw - I have a half dozen dwell meters for sale. Just sayin'. :cool:

View attachment 696046
I was the first kid on my block with an MSD distributor + 6AL box on a Type 1 .....OMG sooooo much better than a 009.
Funny...I found a tach/dwell meter new in box at an antique for $15 last summer, biught it since the nova still has points :)

I've still got mine from the early mid '70s. And two vehicles to use it on. I just have to find that damned little notch and get the bright white paint on it!
Guess what they have nowadays that works great,,,,, also works for marking caps. I work on a lot of old school stuff and still need to find those marks more than I care to.

10332237_1.jpg

I am not sure I get the point of these threads. It seems there would be a way to make them more dense, maybe us a condenser on them?

There are somethings that I have no nostalgia for, and those are one of them.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top