JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the other day I received a lever action 30-30 as a tip from one of my customers. I have virtually no experience with these rifles and couldn't tell good from bad if my life depended on it. The barrell says Western Field m72, buttstock says Montgomery Ward....I know they were a massive retailer in days gone by; is this their 'store brand' perhaps?? Anyone know who may have actually built the thing? And is it a good find, or should this one just live behind the seat of my truck? Any info would be helpful - I trust you guys more than I trust google. Thanks in advance -

But but but.... google is your friend...

Actually, its a Mossberg

No, this is actually a version of the Mossberg Model 472 lever-action .30/30, not the Marlin.

You have to remember that Montgomery Wards had a long-standing business relationship with Mossberg. Wards originally did buy lever-action rifles from Marlin, which were marked as the Western Field Model 33, but in 1971 the Wards buyers contacted Mossberg management about designing a lever-action for the Wards Western Field label. Mossberg took on the project and with collaboration from the gun design group at Belmore-Johnson had a prototype ready within the year. Wards management liked the prototype and a large contract was issued for the gun, which became the Mossberg Model 472. Interestingly enough, the gun did not appear under the Mossberg brand until 1974 - Wards got the first rifles two years earlier. It was produced until 1979, replaced by the Model 479.

So, the Western Field Models 72, 72C, 771, 772, 777 and 778 are all variants of the Mossberg 472. 'Revelation' Model 205 and 207 (Western Auto) are also Mossberg 472's.

The specific Model 72 is a 24" barrel .30/30 with pistol grip stock, a private-branded 472PRA.

Although the Mossberg 472 and the Marlin 336 have a similar appearance to the novice, all you have to do is work the lever. The Mossberg trigger rotates down with the lever, whereas the Marlin trigger remains in the receiver.

[email protected]

Read more: Who is the maker of a Western Field 30-30 M72 rifle

Well now I'm really confused.....most research indicates Mossberg, but the Hoosier link lists the maker as Noble, on which I can find almost zero info. Weird.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top