JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have got delayed on transactions, It can be a hassle so I decided I would do the Voluntary Appeal File paperwork. Its basically filling out a form and sending it in with fingerprints that is kept on file. My understanding is that when you fill out a 4473 after its processed it is destroyed. So every time they call in for a BGC they have to do the same search for information. The VAF basically allows them to keep that into in a file so that when you fill out a 4473 there is something to reference that says your good to go.

When I sent in the paperwork I did not really think much about it. Its not like giving them the little bit of info is any kind of a big deal. I was talking to a fellow recently though who thought that somehow the voluntary appeal file could be used against you. I cant see how?

Honestly I am not even really sure how it works. I think they send you a reference number that you put on any 4473 you fill out?

It sounds like it may be a while before I get anything back from the FBI. I sent the paperwork in maybe three weeks ago and just today I got a letter saying they received the paperwork, that they process them in the order they are received and they are currently working on ones that were submitted in September of 2014. So have any of you done the VAF? I assume it solved any delay issues? How long did it take?

You do realize that they'll now be able to clone you, then send those clones out to assainate world leaders, burn and pillage Middle East villages to blame on ISIL... maybe even send a few to clown college so they can star in sitcoms, or anchor the nightly news.

All that mayhem and suffering... just so YOU can buy a few guns w/o having any delays. You make me sick!!

:p

I've also considered having a PIN due to the number of purchases I make.... I can't remember the box number but a personal ID number would be better right?

Getting delayed is not uncommon I have found that if you have a commercial drivers license with hazmat and go in and out of Canada or Mexico you seem to get delayed about 85 percent of the time. Or if you have had a recent background check for daycare or security clearance you get tagged as well.

I work in a sporting goods shop on weekends and a few of us noticed certain things will get flagged over the years.

We have had Idaho representatives and law enforcement both get delayed and they are not happy with it, we just tell them to call their federal representative and complain.

I am not sure if it is the same thing as applying for a unique personal ID number (UPIN) question 9 on the 4473 but if I understand it correctly it is nothing more than a background check and a posting on your record. Yes they will have a file on you but I am sure they have files on all of us if you ever applied for any loan, military service or various other stuff.

As far as being used against you if you have done nothing wrong all it does is verify you are who you are and that what is in your file is not bad enough to stop you from buying a firearm nothing more. If bad news they will notify you of the problem.

So when it gets called in the call will get moved over to further review and that operator will see the file and should approve it.

What most folks in our area that have gotten delays all the time, like me, that live in Idaho is just gotten an Idaho concealed permit and then the call does not have to be made.

Walk in and out because the background check has all ready been made.

I ran into the issue of someone with the same basic name as mine doing some bad things so I got delayed all the time until they could verify I was not the bad guy using an alias. Now with my permit I just walk in and out and it never gets called in.

Getting delayed is not uncommon I have found that if you have a commercial drivers license with hazmat and go in and out of Canada or Mexico you seem to get delayed about 85 percent of the time. Or if you have had a recent background check for daycare or security clearance you get tagged as well.

I work in a sporting goods shop on weekends and a few of us noticed certain things will get flagged over the years.

We have had Idaho representatives and law enforcement both get delayed and they are not happy with it, we just tell them to call their federal representative and complain.

I am not sure if it is the same thing as applying for a unique personal ID number (UPIN) question 9 on the 4473 but if I understand it correctly it is nothing more than a background check and a posting on your record. Yes they will have a file on you but I am sure they have files on all of us if you ever applied for any loan, military service or various other stuff.

As far as being used against you if you have done nothing wrong all it does is verify you are who you are and that what is in your file is not bad enough to stop you from buying a firearm nothing more. If bad news they will notify you of the problem.

So when it gets called in the call will get moved over to further review and that operator will see the file and should approve it.

What most folks in our area that have gotten delays all the time, like me, that live in Idaho is just gotten an Idaho concealed permit and then the call does not have to be made.

Walk in and out because the background check has all ready been made.

I ran into the issue of someone with the same basic name as mine doing some bad things so I got delayed all the time until they could verify I was not the bad guy using an alias. Now with my permit I just walk in and out and it never gets called in.

Usually with the security clearance checks it's while the check is being investigated. Your file has a flag on it because it has an open incident, which is the investigation for your clearance. Depending on what clearance you are getting you tend to skip the line.

I would go with the UPIN and would take the delays before filing anything I didn't have to with the FBI.
Is the UPIN with the FBI,or is IR talking about the UPIN?
Oh well
The UPIN makes it so they know you are GTG and not the other guy with a name or SSN about the same as yours.And I guess for the things DSAPT said.
We have judges and firefighters that get delays.And some retired military that had high security clearances that get delayed .They always say something like 'they have know who and where I am since I was 18'

Yeah, Its the same thing. You submit the Voluntary appeal file and are issued a unique personal identification number UPIN. The info you submit is nothing more than what is on a regular 4473 besides a fingerprint card, They already have my fingerprints anyway so I wasn't giving them anything they did not already have. My transactions have got a proceed the same day but sometimes it takes a while. One I started the transaction at about 830am and the approval did not come through till 730 that night. I dont get stressed out about the delay, my only concern is that now with I594 I potentially will be doing a lot more BGC's. If I am buying something from a guy at the gunshow and we have to go to the background check table for the paperwork and I am delayed it presents a real problem especially if he is from out of the area. I am not even really sure how a private sale BGC is going to work yet. My fear is I take a firearm to a FFL for a sale, attempt the transaction and for some reason the buyer gets a delay or denied I think that I now have to have a BGC to have my firearm returned to me. What if it is delayed? Or what if you are driving though some other state and stop at a gun store and find a rifle you like, attempt to buy it but get a delay? Many places have a policy that if they run your BGC and for what ever reason the sale does not happen they charge you a fee. I have bought things at SSA in Tacoma that were delayed. How they work is you agree to make the purchase, they run your BGC, If you get a delay you have to pay $100 + tax and if for what ever reason you do not get a proceed or you dont come back you forfeit the $100. If I was driving through Idaho and decided to buy a rifle the last thing I want is to have to make the choice to either forfeit a chunk of money or stand around all day waiting for the approval

Iron Monster
If I was driving through Idaho and decided to buy a rifle the last thing I want is to have to make the choice to either forfeit a chunk of money or stand around all day waiting for the approval

I cannot speak for all shops but if you come to the Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene and you purchase a rifle and you get delayed or denied the worst that happens is we take your paperwork and put it in the did not pick up folder and you do not put down any money and there is no fee for the paperwork and you go on your merry way.

As far as I know all shops in Idaho are the same way we do not charge a fee if you choose to have a gun transferred to us then there's usually a 20 or 25 dollar fee but that's a total different thing that if you try to buy one off the shelf.

So you don't lose any money you just don't get to go home with a new toy.

Every shop in Washington I have dealt with charges some kind of penalty if they run you and you don't leave with the item. It's credited to the sale so it's not been a big deal but I am happy to hear the Gem state is more friendy

I finally put in for a upin,I t was 50/50 for me on getting delayed. I sent mine in last October and I think it showed up towards the end of November,haven't bought anything yet to see how it goes. I really don't care if they keep my info forever,like others said,they already know we are gun owners,also I don't plan on doing anything illegal in the future.

I finally put in for a upin,I t was 50/50 for me on getting delayed. I sent mine in last October and I think it showed up towards the end of November,haven't bought anything yet to see how it goes. I really don't care if they keep my info forever,like others said,they already know we are gun owners,also I don't plan on doing anything illegal in the future.

Love your avatar :)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top