JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good luck fireforming a regular 30-06 case in anything less than an Encore with their captive extractor system.
The '06JDJ was designed explicitly for the encore and utilizes a really short neck.
The Encore's extractor will hold the cartridge case rearward in lieu of proper headspace and allow the case wall and shoulder to expand into the JDJ chamber when fired.
The only way I can see to do it without a captive extractor would be to expand the neck to .338 and then neck it back down to .30-06 size at the proper length to create a false neck-shoulder juncture. That will allow it to headspace on the false shoulder. Then it will fireform in a rifle or other chamber with a conventional type extractor.

But the JDJ's case walls are SO straight, I would be concerned with extraction issues. Especially during load workup.

217px-3006jdjand3006spg.png

ETA, you could also load a HFC bullet like a 200-220 grain, and leave it really long so it jammed into the lands to hold the case rearward.
But I HATE doing that. The potential for astronomic pressures overrides the benefit of that shortcut for me.

Last Edited:
So, thanks to @Velzey , I have a 30-06 AI now. I will start loading up very soon. Once I have some data, I'll post back here to see if it's a win or a fail.
One other thing in my favor is a much better powder selection vs 40-50 years ago.

We'll soon see.

And the fun begins.
a.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic.

edit: cuz my phone took a better pic than my camera!

Last Edited:
Got out to shoot today for the first go-round with handloads. Used H4831 and RL22, both with two different loads.
The H4831 didn't group worth a darn and the velocity gain between the two loads (1 grain apart) was nil.
RL22 was a different story, especially with the second, hotter load. The last 4 shot group went into 1 inch without a problem and was 2900fps.
Absolutely no signs of any pressure issues.
When I started this, my goal was a 180gr @ 3000. Gettin close.

Got out to shoot today for the first go-round with handloads. Used H4831 and RL22, both with two different loads.
The H4831 didn't group worth a darn and the velocity gain between the two loads (1 grain apart) was nil.
RL22 was a different story, especially with the second, hotter load. The last 4 shot group went into 1 inch without a problem and was 2900fps.
Absolutely no signs of any pressure issues.
When I started this, my goal was a 180gr @ 3000. Gettin close.
Incremental gains.

I LIKE it! :D

My 280 ai really likes rl 22 with 160 accubonds and 160 partitions. Tried 4831 sc but it just didn't give the accuracy or velocity as rl22. Why fight it. Rl 22 was my go to powder in 7mm mag as well. 3000 fps may be pushing it a bit with a 180 but you will find out for sure I reckon. Either way a 180 at 2900 is a formidable round.

Geez! Leave ya alone for a few months with no supervision and you physically "enhance" the cartridge you have sworn by! Sorry: I don't like my cartridges fat or sharp shouldered any more than those features in the fairer sex. (.300 Savage gets a universal pass for being the first and best fat and sharp-shouldered girl.) Po' li'l ol' Ought Six screamin, "Mama! Mama! Ol' Uncle Orygun done left us here, Mama!"

Geez! Leave ya alone for a few months with no supervision and you physically "enhance" the cartridge you have sworn by! Sorry: I don't like my cartridges fat or sharp shouldered any more than those features in the fairer sex. (.300 Savage gets a universal pass for being the first and best fat and sharp-shouldered girl.) Po' li'l ol' Ought Six screamin, "Mama! Mama! Ol' Uncle Orygun done left us here, Mama!"

Nice to see ya, even if you came here to thrash on me. Again. :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews