JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
.357, light reload, shot out of my Henry BBB rifle.

IMG_2543[1].JPG

IMG_2543[1].JPG

Wow!
Not in a straight wall case. Normally the mouth splits before that point.
Did that have a perforated line at the break?

Did that have a perforated line at the break?
Well, I looked at another piece of S & B brass and YES - there is a faint line around it at the near exact location of the split.

The line is not perfectly even but looking inside the case I can see it on the inside as well.

A couple years ago after deer season a friend had this happen to his Rossi in 45c. It was pretty easily removed with a dental tool. I attributed (perhaps incorrectly) to an oversize chamber. The ONE rossi I had would split and had a very visible "step" in the brass after firing.

My original thought was perhaps a carbon ring/area formed in front of the 38SPC cases in the chamber. The build up can be substantial. Then when you load a 357 into the chamber it clamps down on the end of the case thereby increasing chamber pressures substantially.

My buddy handed me his lever action .357 to try out one time. The case fired, but got stuck. This was due to the carbon build up left over from firing 38's and not knowing about or scrubbing the carbon fouling out of the chamber. 'Twas a real learning experience for him.

That's a really weird place for that case to split... my best guess would be due to resizing or a manufacturer defect from pulling cases to length.

I would go with "possible" from resizing for reloading. Ni plated cases don't like to be worked too much. Usually, it's a split at the mouth from a belling operation. But I could see a case forming a micro spiral crack that let's go after being fired. Hmm now going to look at the S&B .357 Ni cases I have loaded!

I have had that happen with a 44 mag case and rifle cases, now when I see that faint line after sizing I run a dental pick down there and if I feel a groove it goes in the scrap bucket.

now when I see that faint line after sizing I run a dental pick down there and if I feel a groove it goes in the scrap bucket.
That's what I'll be doing from now on !

AND I might cull out all the S & B brass I have mixed in with several jugs of .357 brass and size and check it first. Some of it doesn't reprime too well as it is.

Last Edited:
Yup. But if this came from a bunch of brass that's been reloaded multiple times, it might be time to "rotate" those out of the loop.
Well, this would be easy if I had been separating all of my brass by frequency of reloads (some I have) however while looking at another piece of S & B brass from the same 'batch' it has a VERY pronounced groove on the inside at about the location of piece that split, However some other pieces are perfectly smooth inside.

Therefore I am going to go through all my mixed brass and start by separating out the S & B and check it all and if it has the groove on the inside out it goes!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top