JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are fairly easy to work on...I have done work on many a Colt and Colt replica...let me know if you need some help...
Andy

Thanks. I've got a new bolt stop spring coming to replace the broken one, and part of me is going "well, now that it's apart, I should just rebuild it and hotrod it..." When what I need to do is just clean it, fit the spring, and call it good to go.

And then buy an 1858 Remington instead like I should have the first time LOL. I'm a sucker for $100 guns, what can I say?

In regards to game laws...
I think that many of the folks who make the laws and or regulations have no real notion of just what was out there say from 1700 -1900...and just what said gun from that time period can actually do on game...as opposed to what some ballistic chart says...
Andy

In regards to game laws...
I think that many of the folks who make the laws and or regulations have no real notion of just what was out there say from 1700 -1900...and just what said gun from that time period can actually do on game...as opposed to what some ballistic chart says...
Andy
I don't think they understand ballistics either.

For that matter, I still scratch my head at the idea of a rifled black powder gun being a "short range" weapon, when they are demonstrably capable of greater ranges with sufficient accuracy for hunting. Might require sights that are better than the "eh, we put something on here" that seem common, but I never did get the "80-100 yard" concept with a rifled musket.

I shoot very well with the silver blade front sight and "buckhorn" rear sight of my Hawken...I prefer the simple , basic , historic sights....
By shooting very well , I mean well enough to hunt , bring home many a ribbon or trophy and be happy with my level of marksmanship.

I have shot my Hawken at ranges up to 250 yards...enough to know that I can do it...but not enough to hunt at that range.
For me and how I shoot , practice and where I hunt a 100 yardish shot is a long shot...so that is where I practice to.
Andy

I shoot very well with the silver blade front sight and "buckhorn" rear sight of my Hawken...I prefer the simple , basic , historic sights....
By shooting very well , I mean well enough to hunt , bring home many a ribbon or trophy and be happy with my level of marksmanship.

I have shot my Hawken at ranges up to 250 yards...enough to know that I can do it...but not enough to hunt at that range.
For me and how I shoot , practice and where I hunt a 100 yardish shot is a long shot...so that is where I practice to.
Andy

I like historic target sights myself. Neither of my muzzleloaders have what I'd consider "historic" sights, but rather the whatever was quickest for a price point that could pass as "upgraded"

Sights 2.jpg

Sights.jpg

Some historic front sights...many if not most are low , like a bead on a shotgun....
Edit to add...
Most rear sights are just a simple "V" or "U" notch in a low sight or the "buckhorn" sight..again...Low
Andy

Andy can clarify; a round ball looses half it's velocity in the first 100yrds. Lousy BC.
Half of the charge goes out the bbl unburned.

To be honest ballistic numbers do not interest me...I have read charts , data and such...
But folks have kept themselves fed while using lead roundball for centuries , all without the knowledge from a ballistic chart.
And yes I do know what the various charts have to say...or have books that have them in them...
I also know what my hunting rifle and hunting charge can do at various ranges...this knowledge has come from the actual use of the rifle , not a chart.

You can kill game with a roundball , past the 100 yard cutoff that many folks use....just take a look at many period accounts of people doing just that.

A bigger factor in not shooting well past 100 yards with a traditional style rifle , sights and loading , is that many people today , do not practice enough with a traditional style rifle , sights and loading to do so .

Would I shoot at a game animal at say 200 yards , with my Hawken rifle...No
I have hit many a target at that range and I have no doubt that with my rifle and load it would kill a game animal at that range...I just don't practice enough at that range to hunt at that distance.

As for unburnt powder going out the barrel...
I don't know just how much goes out unburnt...I have never collected and measured any from my shooting.
Does powder go out the barrel unused...?
I would guess that it could , depending on the charge used.
Why one would do that is beyond me....
I like to shoot my muzzleloaders in a historic method and the heavy charges with a overly tight patch and ball combo , that is commonly seen today , just weren't that common in use on the frontier in the 18th and 19th centuries .
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads