JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody know if there's any Stair Climbing Dollies for rent in portland/salem to get a 700 lb gun safe out of a basement?
I'm brainstorming here, and yanking the thing up the stairs with a pull-strap and my car seems risky. A comealong may work and nailing wood on the stairs to make a ramp, but an electric stair climbing dolly would be a whole lot easier.
I have to move my shop next month, and my milling machine and gun safe are going to be a bear.
Any ideas?
Please?
Thanks.
Paul

carpet, blanket, throw rug just about anything. line the stairs, lay the safe down,strap and pull with a little help from a friend or two it will move easy

Hell yeah.
Good idea with lining the stairs with cloth. I hadn't thought of that. The safe doesn't slide well on wood. I may just be able to do that with 1 other guy & a come along.
Nobody in Oregon seems to rent electric stair climbing dollies.

There's a market niche if I've ever seen one.

at a 45 degree angle not including friction a 700lb safe will seam to weigh 350+ lbs dead lift. That would be some friend you have there. Is there a way to attach a comealong type winch to the safe and to a vehicle or other suitable anchor point? You will also need a way to hold the safe in place part way up the stairs since the take up on the come along will not be long enough to do the whole stairs.

With the come-along method, how I got it down the stairs was like this;

I put bolts protruding from the bottom of the safe, with nuts on them to make sure they didn't back off, then I ran a pull strap that I use 4xing under the bottom, looping it on each of the 2 bolts that were sticking out the bottom, so the strap couldn't slip.

Then I connected a comealong hook to the 2 ends of the strap holding them together and had another strap tied off to a van in the driveway.
I had a 3rd strap going to the strap on the safe, and tied with slack to a very strong steel bar that was longer than the the doorway incase the come along failed, so as not to take out a basement wall.

I slowly ratcheted the safe down, until the the backup strap was tense (about 5 feet), then I re-posissioned the strap that was going to the van & wound cable into the come along, then re-connected and re-tentioned the come-along, loosened the backup strap, and slowly used the come-along to get it the rest of the way downstairs.

It was a royal pain, but worked.

If need be, I'm thinking the reverse could work by adding carpet to the equation. Without the friction reduction of the carpet though, I'm thinking it'd be a real bear and might snap something.

If I do it that way, I'll try to take pics and share the process I settle on so the next guy has an easier time.

A few years ago had the Fort Knoxx safe rep move my large safe (1500)up stairs and into the house.
Very reasonable and quick. Around 75 bucks if memory is correct. No way in hell I would try that!!! I moved back about 50 feet when he started crawiing up those stairs.

Thanks. I'll look into that.
All I need is for it to be moved up stairs & I'd gladly pay that to avoid the hassle.
Last time I almost messed up which would have possibly ripped out the door jamb if it went, then caught suddenly.

I sooo HATE moving.
I have a milling machine too.
That's gonna be a ball of joys as well, but at least I can truck it by alternating 2 steel bars, and there's no stairs to deal with.

I realize this an older thread but have you been able to move the safe? I have been doing some research and found a place in Gresham that may rent out and electric stair climber as i am in need of moving a safe. I will be contacting them during business hours today to get the story, but via their webpage it says they'll rent you one for $50 for 4 hrs can't beat that! Will post the details.

Does anybody know if there's any Stair Climbing Dollies for rent in portland/salem to get a 700 lb gun safe out of a basement?
I'm brainstorming here, and yanking the thing up the stairs with a pull-strap and my car seems risky. A comealong may work and nailing wood on the stairs to make a ramp, but an electric stair climbing dolly would be a whole lot easier.
I have to move my shop next month, and my milling machine and gun safe are going to be a bear.
Any ideas?
Please?
Thanks.
Paul

I realize this an older thread but have you been able to move the safe? I have been doing some research and found a place in Gresham that may rent out and electric stair climber as i am in need of moving a safe. I will be contacting them during business hours today to get the story, but via their webpage it says they'll rent you one for $50 for 4 hrs can't beat that! Will post the details.

Make sure your steps can handle the weight individually. My brother rented a stair climber and one of his steps broke. What a mess that turned out to be.

I just rented one last weekend for a 600lb safe. It worked great but still a little scary. Had 3 others helping me but might have been a little overkill. I would still have 2 people there to help you.

Blackdog, how big was this safe that broke your brothers stair? The one I am moving is right under 300# so I assume that each stair should be fine am I flawed in this logic?

-LazerblazeR

I'd have done that, but I ended up lining the wood stairs with carpet, putting the safe on its side, putting big rigging eye-bolts through the lower 2 holes on the bottom, running a pull strap through them, then having a friend winch a come-along attached to the big Budget Rental Truck I had up in the driveway (it was a straight shot to the door/staircase)

As my friend worked the come-along, I used a pry-bar to ensure the safe didn't get hung up on any of the stairs.

It worked out well.

I used the Fort Knox dealer to move a fire safe that had been given to me. He is a great guy, great service, and it didn't cost much more than a rental would. That guy knows just what to do.

at a 45 degree angle not including friction a 700lb safe will seam to weigh 350+ lbs dead lift. That would be some friend you have there. Is there a way to attach a comealong type winch to the safe and to a vehicle or other suitable anchor point? You will also need a way to hold the safe in place part way up the stairs since the take up on the come along will not be long enough to do the whole stairs.
Actually its a little more:
700LBS x SIN45 (.707)=494.5LBS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews