JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love snap caps. I have firearms in about a dozen different calibers, and have snap caps for every one of them. They're great for training, teaching, and malfunction diagnosis.

But I haven't found any for rimfire calibers that last more than a couple of uses because they end up deformed and start to cause malfunctions themselves.

Have you found any that can stand up to repeated use?

Get a box of #4 wall anchors. They feed from magazines, last about a dozen hits and only cost pennies each.

download.jpg

Been preaching the use of the #4-6 drywall anchors for around 20 years now. Five bucks for a box of 100 and if rotated, the rim will take 10 hits easily:
sM30QlUl.jpg
They will feed 'manually' from a magazine and extract perfectly well.

I also use the yellow wall anchors for 22lr. The white wall anchors are a perfect fit for 22 mag (don't use the yellow for 22mag). I put them in my revolver and after shooting I rotate them 1/4 turn. So I end up getting 4 strikes per wall anchor before it's "worn out" (white ones I mean). 5 or more strikes tends to break the head off the white wall anchors I've found. 100 white anchors are $4 at Home Depot. I have never paid attention to how many strikes the yellow anchors can take (sounds like 10-12 from the experienced posters above).

I personally would not use the blue hard dummy rounds. I've had pretty good luck with the mushy clear plastic red "snap caps" for 22lr but they are no better function wise than the yellow wall anchors imo and the red ones are much more expensive. The mushy red ones do seem to deform a lot though. The mushy red ones might be worth looking at if the yellow wall anchors don't feed well in ur gun perhaps. For me the red mushy ones and yellow wall anchors both feed equally well in various guns and I would guess the yellow wall anchors will hold up better than the 22lr mushy clear red plastic "snap caps" but I have never really tested side-by-side or anything like that.

Last Edited:
Btw, does anyone make a laser snap cap for 22lr or 22mag? I looked briefly one time but never found any that small and I would guess rimfire poses a design problem compared to center fire.