Any rimfire snapcaps that last?

ScottInPDX

Reactions
I love snap caps. I have firearms in about a dozen different calibers, and have snap caps for every one of them. They're great for training, teaching, and malfunction diagnosis.

But I haven't found any for rimfire calibers that last more than a couple of uses because they end up deformed and start to cause malfunctions themselves.

Have you found any that can stand up to repeated use?

ilikegunspdx

Reactions
I also use the yellow wall anchors for 22lr. The white wall anchors are a perfect fit for 22 mag (don't use the yellow for 22mag). I put them in my revolver and after shooting I rotate them 1/4 turn. So I end up getting 4 strikes per wall anchor before it's "worn out" (white ones I mean). 5 or more strikes tends to break the head off the white wall anchors I've found. 100 white anchors are $4 at Home Depot. I have never paid attention to how many strikes the yellow anchors can take (sounds like 10-12 from the experienced posters above).

I personally would not use the blue hard dummy rounds. I've had pretty good luck with the mushy clear plastic red "snap caps" for 22lr but they are no better function wise than the yellow wall anchors imo and the red ones are much more expensive. The mushy red ones do seem to deform a lot though. The mushy red ones might be worth looking at if the yellow wall anchors don't feed well in ur gun perhaps. For me the red mushy ones and yellow wall anchors both feed equally well in various guns and I would guess the yellow wall anchors will hold up better than the 22lr mushy clear red plastic "snap caps" but I have never really tested side-by-side or anything like that.

Last edited:

ilikegunspdx

Reactions
Btw, does anyone make a laser snap cap for 22lr or 22mag? I looked briefly one time but never found any that small and I would guess rimfire poses a design problem compared to center fire.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Great FFL Gun Transfers.
    Last Saturday morning. Me & the wife bought a pistol from another great Northwestfirearm's member. Meet up A Cut Above pawn shop. Wife had a...
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    TJ Gun Sales
    Needed some sights for a Glock 19. Found them here for a good price and free install. :)
  • Advanced Firearms Training
    2.00 star(s)
    Good in some ways, not in others
    The shop itself has a great selection from milsurp to modern, which we rarely see much of anymore. What rubbed me the wrong way is when doing...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Great for Transfers
    Very friendly, likable crew, for example the pocket watch guy is knowledgeable about collectibles and always great to banter with while waiting...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    About 8 years with these people
    I am stuck on them; always good service, nice people, and regardless of staff changes, treat me very nicely. I am pretty sure I have been doing...
Top Bottom