JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi folks, very new to the Mosin Nagant game (better late than never I suppose) and am just starting to get my feet wet.

The rifle/cartridge appeals to me in that the rifles and ammo are still relatively inexpensive. The 54R cartridge is still being produced by the truckload (unlike the say the 303 Brit, 8mm Mauser & 7.62x25), so it's not like ammo will dry up any time soon. Gone are the days when you can afford to just blow through hundreds or thousands of rounds of 308 or 223 (remember buying 800rds of Port. 7.62 for $89? ...that wasn't too long ago) ...I digress. The 54R ammo isn't all that spendy and you're only going through 5rds at a time (and going through it a lot slower trying to turn that ole crusty bolt).

To me, this is shooting that is still a lot of fun.

There have been about a zillion different rifles built over the past 122-years or so which makes for quite the spectrum of collectors and shooters. Not knowing much about these rifles at all I think I'd like to have a few different rifles/carbines in different configurations... but don't know much about them, so am looking for words of wisdom from y'all.

I think I might like to have something along the lines of the more accurate M39 rifle and maybe also something like the WWII 91/30 sniper version. Also wonder if the M44 wouldn't make for the perfect trunk/truck gun. The idea of a chopped carbine and even the Obrez seem crazy, but would probably be a ton-o-fun; for those there seem to be enough "sporterized" guns out there that a nice military specimen would not need to be sacrificed.

So, tell me what you love or hate about the moist nuguts and where to find em en mass to be fondled.

I was just at Cabela's in Springfield this morning and they had at least 10 (possibly more) 91/30s on their rack, including a sniper. I didn't look closely, but I think the price was either $149 or $159 for the standards. I did not see any carbine variants.

What's to like? Price, cheap ammo, fun to shoot, dead nuts reliable. They do have a very stout kick, which is magnified by the steel plate on the butt. Depending on the day I can shoot anywhere from 10-30 rounds without padding before my shoulder tells me to piss off. The carbine version (I have a Chinese T53) has an even more pronounced kick than the full length 91/30.

Some of them suffer from 'sticky bolt syndrome'. If you happen to get one of these, hop onto You Tube and search for it. There are solutions to this irritant that are easy to do at home.

For the price you can't go wrong. Buy it, shoot it, and if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid. You can always find a willing buyer in the $125-$150 range.

the carbines (M38, M44 and M91/59) are a bit pricier but can still be had for around $250 in excellent condition. If it is a truck carbine you are looking for I would go with the 38 or the 91/59 as they do not have the bayonet. They have a more pronounced recoil than the longer 91/30 but are still fun to shoot and handier than the long rifle. They are fire ball spitters. While still inexpensive the prices are climbing. I was at Cabela's in Lacey WA today. They had 4 91/30s on the rack. All 4 were 1942 Izhevsk production with dings and chipped,flaking finish and priced at $199 dollars. I think the importers are reaching the bottom of the barrel as I purchased an immaculate 1938 Izhevsk back in November for $120. Check out 7.62x54r.net for the most comprehensive info on these Russian war brides. Welcome to the sickness that is Mosinitis. ~ Jim

I bought an M38 and love it. I did put a recoil pad on it and that made it quite nice. I like that it is lighter since it doesn't have the bayonet.

~~ Bob

Considering that there were more M|N of various flavors produced than the next three WWI battle rifles combined there are plenty to still be had. More M|N were produced than the the total number American rifles since the Spanish American War to Korea.

Last time I was at Cabelas in Tulalip Wa and they had around 30 or so of m91/30s Mosins. As a truck gun I wouldn't buy a m91/30 because they are long, your best bet is to order a m44 online from Aim Surplus or Classic Arms and have it delivered to your local FFL. Your second option would be just keep an eye out on the classifieds here and also Armslist, I have had good luck finding mosins on there. As far as best type of mosin a m38 mosin are more desirable then m44s but are harder to find and generally more expensive.

2 days ago the last of the MN T-53 carbines (Chinese M44) for $59.87 was sold(century arms.). I bought 5 of them. they are 8" shorter barrel than the M91-30 but shoot same 7.62X54R cartridge I paid $.16 each for 1 year ago when I bought 3 spam 440 cans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top