JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Grandpa wants me to post it for sale. I know it's a 30-06 but that's it. Curious if anyone on here knows. I think their pretty common cuz a buddy of mine just inherited one but also doesn't know make/mode. Looks like s/n is under scope ring. "on" and "off" for bolt removal. I believe you top load the ammo. Doesn't appear to have a manual safety.

4B5A297B-E196-44A3-8B7F-F7EED707D4E7.jpeg 3F077294-FCD5-450D-8D8C-30FAA627FE72.jpeg 6EA5726C-D6EC-419B-A2BE-2DFFA5DDFE5E.jpeg 0CA50F17-4980-4935-B202-4853020D5724.jpeg D62A7367-0432-49D0-B165-CEFE77F5F626.jpeg

Looks like a "Sporterized " 1903 1903A3 Springfield rifle.
The "On / Off"...is a magazine disconnector ...it will turn the 03 into a single shot rifle.
The safety may have been removed so as to put scope mounts on the rifle....
The safety was located just ahead of the cocking piece / knob.
Andy

Yup, Andy beat me to it, it's a Springfield Sporter 1903 A-3, only thing we don't know is which factory built it originally!
Many of these had the Mag Cutoff pinned to the ON position so it would load from the mag with a scope mounted, and some have had the bolt stop modified to lock out the safety as Andy pointed out, you can tell if you cannot move the safety lever or if you have to pull the bolt cocking knob back a little in order to apply the safety! Other then that, it looks to be a nice Sporter Springer 03, but alas, not worth a whole lot!

The last two I have purchased were around 500$. I have kept one in 30-06 and had one chambered in 6.5X55. I think they are great rifles.

The last two I have purchased were around 500$. I have kept one in 30-06 and had one chambered in 6.5X55. I think they are great rifles.
I have several 1903's mostly late 44's One I built into a 6.5X55 Swede, that is one of the best shootin rifles I have ever had, another I built as a 6.5X300 WSM, and a third as a 6.5/06! I also have a few in the regular old vanilla .30/06, cause it really is the bestist hunting cartridge around!

That is a Norman-Ford & Co. scope, they were made from late 1940's to about 1960. It might have some collector value in spite of the surface rust on the tube. I'm thinking that the reason the scope is mounted so far to the rear is to allow for movement of the safety. Be careful shooting that, you might wind up with a ring cut in your forehead from the rear edge of the scope bell. I'm told it hurts when it bounces off your forehead.

I've owned rifles similar to this before. Most that were professionally done by a gunsmith are pretty decent. Back when labor costs were much lower, a lot of work went into one of these to come out as it did. I like the typical heavy sporter stock like the one shown. Nothing fancy, workman-like, sturdy, will last for ages.

Please read the following and then check your serial number.

Just my 2, 100ths of one U.S. Dollar.

SF-

Since this is a 1903-a3 there should be no issue with heat treating. Without being able to read the banner on the forward bridge most 1903-a3s have the rear stock screw hole drilled all the way through the receiver. It supposedly made manufacturing easier than the

Looks like a "Sporterized " 1903 1903A3 Springfield rifle.
The "On / Off"...is a magazine disconnector ...it will turn the 03 into a single shot rifle.
The safety may have been removed so as to put scope mounts on the rifle....
The safety was located just ahead of the cocking piece / knob.
Andy
This poor rifle has no safety?? If so that's a "YIKES!" moment waiting to happen!

Since this is a 1903-a3 there should be no issue with heat treating. Without being able to read the banner on the forward bridge most 1903-a3s have the rear stock screw hole drilled all the way through the receiver. It supposedly made manufacturing easier than the
The rear Bolt Stop Bridge still retains the A-3 Dovetail for the Rear Sight, here it serves a s a rear scope mount, which is pretty cool actually!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top