JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a little pocket .380 for Summer or pocket carry. Have heard plenty of feedback/opions on the Kel-Tec, Ruger LCP, Kahr .380 to name a few, but I saw a thread earlier where someone was discussing the little Diamondback .380's. I got to fondle one at the gun show this last weekend in Hillsboro and it seemed decent for the money. Anyone have one or know somone that has had any personal experience with them?

It's a cool little gun, but it's taking some time for the company to get things right so the guns are having problems with the triggers and slide rails. That .380 is the first gun the company had ever made, up until now they have just built boats. Not to mention that personally, I wouldn't be comfortable pocket carrying a striker-fired gun...

It's a cool little gun, but it's taking some time for the company to get things right so the guns are having problems with the triggers and slide rails. That .380 is the first gun the company had ever made, up until now they have just built boats. Not to mention that personally, I wouldn't be comfortable pocket carrying a striker-fired gun...

I understand your concern about pocket carrying a striker fired pistol, but I wouldn't just shove it in my pocket. I would carry it in a pocket holster.

The other pistol I am considering is the Sig P238. I know, a completely different pistol. I have looked at them and really like them, but my concern there is that the way that pistol was designed to be carried is just like a 1911, cocked and locked. In a pocket carry pistol, even with a holster, that concerns me more than a striker fired pistol.

I understand your concern about pocket carrying a striker fired pistol, but I wouldn't just shove it in my pocket. I would carry it in a pocket holster.

The other pistol I am considering is the Sig P238. I know, a completely different pistol. I have looked at them and really like them, but my concern there is that the way that pistol was designed to be carried is just like a 1911, cocked and locked. In a pocket carry pistol, even with a holster, that concerns me more than a striker fired pistol.

I agree that pocket carry requires a pocket holster, it's the fact that a mechanical failure in a striker fired gun *could* result in an accidental discharge under some one-in-a-billion mechanical failure due to the stored energy in the firing pin. A true DAO gun has no stored energy so a rare mechanical failure would have less consequences.

I also agree that a cocked and locked single action would never be a pocket carry gun for me.

I agree that pocket carry requires a pocket holster, it's the fact that a mechanical failure in a striker fired gun *could* result in an accidental discharge under some one-in-a-billion mechanical failure due to the stored energy in the firing pin. A true DAO gun has no stored energy so a rare mechanical failure would have less consequences.
You know striker fired guns have a firing pin block, right?

I just bought the DB380 and was able to shoot it first. I love it! I shot my friend's Keltec 380 and it was very snappy and smacks my finger hard on recoil, not so with the DB380. It is the thinnest pocket gun out there sharing dimensions with only the Kahr P380, but they are hundreds more. Trigger on the DB is a lot like my P9, long smooth and firm. No accidental discharge here. Can't speak to reliability yet, but am hopeful it will last. Check it out!

I owned one of the original DB380's to hit the market and had nothing but problems with it from day one. First time out only made it 35 rounds before having to put it away for the day. A quick trip back to Florida and I made it through 60 rounds before the same problems came back. After that I put it in the safe and used it for a dummy gun.

A few months back I was reading about all of these newer DB380's that were shooting well without any issues. At that time I contacted Diamondback and requested that they not only pay to ship my gun back but that they also replace it with a newer model. They reluctantly agreed, and so far things are looking good.

I'll be the first to say that I love the DB380 for it's grip and simplicity over all the other .380 pocket guns that I currently own(5-6) and have always professed this love with a catch "if it would work", at this time I am cautiously optimistic that Diamondback may be getting things right.

Here is my older DB with holsters that I make.

IMG_5078.jpg
IMG_5077.jpg

I've added Crimson Trace to my newer model and it makes for a really nice little package. If it continues to shoot well it could very easily become one of my carry guns in the future.

IMG_7847.jpg

If you buy one get one with a serial number starting with ZD or newer.

You know striker fired guns have a firing pin block, right?

Yes, I own and have worked on XD's and Glocks and am familiar with striker-fired pistols. Any system of mechanical components can fail though, and I prefer to minimize the results of a potential catastrophic failure by choosing certain pistol designs over others. The odds are extremely slim but you cannot deny that they exist. Even the best systems can fail and I would not rank a db380 with the best.

Yes, I own and have worked on XD's and Glocks and am familiar with striker-fired pistols. Any system of mechanical components can fail though, and I prefer to minimize the results of a potential catastrophic failure by choosing certain pistol designs over others. The odds are extremely slim but you cannot deny that they exist. Even the best systems can fail and I would not rank a db380 with the best.

The DB and Glock are not "pre-cocked" like the striker on a XD, two different systems.

I saw one here locally... and if it performed as good as it looks, it'd be great! Sharp lookin firearm.

Personally, if I were in the market for a small .380, I'd go with the P238.

Do you know of any internal animations of a glock's firing pin and trigger mechanism? I'd like to learn more about them if I'm mistaken about how they work...

Thanks.

They can be found. The Glock is partially tensioned, but not enough to cause a problem. Much better than the floating firing pin on an AR15.

They can be found. The Glock is partially tensioned, but not enough to cause a problem. Much better than the floating firing pin on an AR15.

I just watched a video of the mechanism, you are correct that the firing pin is only partially tensioned when at rest. I had thought that it sat further back in the travel at rest, closer to the break point in the travel.

So is a db380 identical to a glock internally?

I just watched a video of the mechanism, you are correct that the firing pin is only partially tensioned when at rest. I had thought that it sat further back in the travel at rest, closer to the break point in the travel.

So is a db380 identical to a glock internally?

Similar. The sear actually pulls the striker back about 1/4" before releasing it.

You guys are no help at all. Now I want both of them. :s0114:

Seriously, I think I may take my chances with the DB and see what my luck is in the first 200 rds. If no problem, I will trust it as I like the idea of a "Kodak" point and shoot gun in a pocket pistol. If I experience problems I will probably sell it and try the P238.

You guys are no help at all. Now I want both of them. :s0114:

Seriously, I think I may take my chances with the DB and see what my luck is in the first 200 rds. If no problem, I will trust it as I like the idea of a "Kodak" point and shoot gun in a pocket pistol. If I experience problems I will probably sell it and try the P238.

Be prepared for a few issues the first 100rds or so, but the new ones do get better once they've been shot.

Another thing I figured out was to lube up the rails fairly good, I think that helps a bit with these little guns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top