JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok here is the deal, I have a detached garage (unfinished, all wiring exposed) that I want to add a motion sensor light to. The motion sensor light I bought has a darkness sensor and a motion sensor to it, so I plan on always leaving it on. So I dont need a switch for it. So I cut a hole in the wall and mounted a "remodel" electrical box in there. Now I just need to do the wiring.

My thinking is that I can just tap into a electrical outlet and draw power from there? I have tried to google this but came up with nothing, bring me to think its maybe against code or wrong? A diagram would be great as I have no idea what I am doing haha. Right under where I am installing the light there is a GCFI outlet, and there is also a switch which controls the power to the lights on the ceiling, so I could easily grab power from there.

Also I should mention its not a huge 2000 watt motion flood light, its just your standard porch light with a 60watt bulb, and I am installing it next to the garage man-door so shed light so help me open the locks and such.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Pun intended haah :D

Any licensed electrician will probably stay clear of giving you any advice. Liability issues. But I am not a licensed electrician so take this with a grain of salt.

First off, if you are only going to use a 60watt light bulb you should not need to calculate everything that is on that circuit. I would get my power from the GFI that is located near by. Use 14/2 electrical wire from the GFI to the light. Make sure you connect the wires to the side of the GFI where the wires send power to it (Line side).

my :s0159:

Ok I can ask for a hobbyist electrician :)

I had an electrician at my house to replace some outlets, the seller I bought the house from was required to repair a broken GFCI in the kitchen and they finally got to it. While he was there I asked him to take a look at it and he he wrote on his business card "$100 CASH , wire motion light @ garage"

$100, while worth it to some, not me I would rather trip a few breakers and shock myself multiple times and see sparks fly haha :)

Black to the hot side of your plug or switch (usually brass colored). White to neutral (usually silver colored)and bare copper to bare copper for ground.
Good to go. Best to turn off the breaker first to avoid any unnecessary muscle spasms.

Black to the hot side of your plug or switch (usually brass colored). White to neutral (usually silver colored)and bare copper to bare copper for ground.
Good to go. Best to turn off the breaker first to avoid any unnecessary muscle spasms.

+1 It isn't brain surgery for just a 60 watt bulb/outlet, but turn the breaker off first. The rubber coating on the positive wire (brass colored wire) will also sometimes have a colored stripe or raised rib on it.

You may tap at the switch box or recpt box. Use the same guage wire as the existing.
If you go to the switch box make sure you tie into the power coming in, not the switch loop to the lights.
If you go to the GFCI box make sure you tie into the line side and not the load side.
BTW I am an electrician, not a hobbiest and I just love it when responders start with, I am not an electrician but...

Hey cbdzel, all great advice given by other members, I am also a licensed electrician and if you need a "walk through" over the phone I wouldn't mind helping, sometimes it's easier when your doing the job to ask questions in the act. I live in sequim wa so it shouldn't hurt your phone bill to much 360 461 4192 call me at any reasonable hour

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top